Audi R8 Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
756 Posts
It'd be wrong of me not to put my hand up here and say that my math(s) was off - it's more like 2.5x the cost rather than 3-4 times, apologies Scott.

If I had £7k to spend on suspension I can assure you that you are the only person I would contact - your reputation precedes you!
I get it. No problem on the math. Thank you for the confidence and support. I fully understand budget constraints.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks Raf,
I've been in contact with your factory in Poland, but given the recent price rise, shipping, import taxes, deposit and then return shipping of the original units, I'm not sure it makes any sense really bearing in mind OEM passive shocks are £500 each inclusive from Audi.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Thanks Raf,
I've been in contact with your factory in Poland, but given the recent price rise, shipping, import taxes, deposit and then return shipping of the original units, I'm not sure it makes any sense really bearing in mind OEM passive shocks are £500 each inclusive from Audi.
I know a lot of people are happy to move to passive shocks, but I'm a big fan of the magnetic ride. Every car I've owned since around 2014 has had a similar system, and I don't think I could go back to a fixed / passive setup. I enjoy the versatility of an an electronically adjustable suspension. The state of CT, despite their enormous excise taxes on motor vehicles, still hasn't learned how to properly pave and maintain roads, so they've only aided in my enjoyment of adjustable suspensions.

I may have been lucky to date, but I've had no failures on mag ride in over 8 years now and 20k miles. It may happen tomorrow, who knows - but it'll be replaced with mag ride if so. Along with having adjustable modes (normal and stiff), many people don't realize that it's also an active system that's adjusting individual dampers to counter squat, roll, and dive forces and keep the car as flat as possible while still giving a comfortable ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know a lot of people are happy to move to passive shocks, but I'm a big fan of the magnetic ride. Every car I've owned since around 2014 has had a similar system, and I don't think I could go back to a fixed / passive setup. I enjoy the versatility of an an electronically adjustable suspension. The state of CT, despite their enormous excise taxes on motor vehicles, still hasn't learned how to properly pave and maintain roads, so they've only aided in my enjoyment of adjustable suspensions.

I may have been lucky to date, but I've had no failures on mag ride in over 8 years now and 20k miles. It may happen tomorrow, who knows - but it'll be replaced with mag ride if so. Along with having adjustable modes (normal and stiff), many people don't realize that it's also an active system that's adjusting individual dampers to counter squat, roll, and dive forces and keep the car as flat as possible while still giving a comfortable ride.
That's great you're having longevity with your current mag ride! I had my replaced, under warranty, 2 years ago. They are already leaking. I'm done with them. Currently looking for some aftermarket kits.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That's great you're having longevity with your current mag ride! I had my replaced, under warranty, 2 years ago. They are already leaking. I'm done with them. Currently looking for some aftermarket kits.
i personally dont think the mag rides on the r8 are all that great, add to that the reliability issues and going back to a passive set is a no brainer if you are budget concious

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
It would be interesting to do a back to back comparison. There must have been a perceived benefit at the time or nobody would have specced them.
They were standard equipment on the V10 base and also on some V8 models.

Edited to add: for EU spec.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
It would be interesting to do a back to back comparison. There must have been a perceived benefit at the time or nobody would have specced them.
I'm in the minority here, I'll admit... :)

When I was deciding between ordering a standard V10 vs. V10+, the availability of mag-ride on the standard V10 was one of the selling points for me. Ferrari understood, even in the mid-90's, that a sports car driven on the road wouldn't always have the benefit of nice pavement - the 355 was one of the earliest (I can recall, at least) that received electronically adjustable dampers. They weren't great, of course, but the concept was there. Now, the "bumpy road" setting is a staple of modern Ferrari suspensions. The idea that your suspension needs to be in its stiffest setting at all times just seems like an older approach with needless compromise.

As a long time BMW owner, I would love to spec the M suspension on my cars... until I had to drive them in NYC, Boston, or just a bad road around CT. I wanted the handling, but it came with plenty of punishment... not just for me, but the car. Then, along came electronic dampers, and I've never looked back. :)

Now, if you're going to track the car, I suspect a fixed setup makes more sense... and apparently Audi thought the same, as the V10+ was intended to be the more track-focused variant - fixed dampers, smaller gas tank, less sound deadening, etc. But, for the road... I love mag-ride. Most of the time I have it in the standard setting, but there are roads that really benefit from the stiffer setting, and there it is when needed!

The pervasiveness of electronic dampers these days speaks to their benefits and broad market appeal. The value, in my mind, isn't in question. However, the reliability, in the R8's case, IS the problem. For me, the value outweighs the cost, so I'd gladly bite the bullet on a repair and stick with them. But, for others, they may not get the same value, and the cost and frustration of dealing with failed mag-ride shocks makes a transition to a passive setup really appealing. To each his own here - there's no wrong answer, just personal choice.

Reactions: DaveL and Trev450

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
756 Posts
Gen 1? if so this is the thread for details and R8Talk customer feedback to review for our custom Stage II Ohlins TTX's for the Gen 1 R8. (We now have this suspension for Gen2's in a different thread). Gen 1 Audi R8 Öhlins TTX - Ahlman Performance Stage II...

This is the link to our retail website for these. Öhlins TTX Suspension - Ahlman Performance Stage II for Gen 1 Audi R8

Glad to answer any questions.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts