Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: What specification would you want Audi R8 Team to consider for immediate production

Oh, and I'm surprised nobody else has said...

WHY OH WHY OH WHY THE F*CK is Magnetic Ride an option?

Do you think that's strange? I don't. :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Re: What specification would you want Audi R8 Team to consider for immediate production

I would have thought it should be standard... :rolleyes:
Hardly realistic to be standard ... although it would be nice if it was.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Hardly realistic to be standard ... although it would be nice if it was.
Why not? Of all the information "leaked" prior to the official launch, magnetic ride was always "there"...

·
Registered
190 Posts
It should have been standard even if this added £800 to the price as i think all R8's should have this.

To make it a option is just to make sure each car maximises profit, but then again thats the world we live in.:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should have been standard even if this added £800 to the price as i think all R8's should have this.

To make it a option is just to make sure each car maximises profit, but then again thats the world we live in.:)
Yes, but it is a good option, the standard dampers are not bad at all!

I agree the car should have it standard, but not for free.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Let's face it, at this price level for Audi's new "halo" car MANY of the options should arguably be standard. Extended Leather, Nav, the B&O stereo and the trick LED lighting are just a few that come to mind.
As far as the mag-ride dampers, those with smooth roads and the lunatic fringe who will modify the R8 for the track probably don't want or need them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Th magnetic dampers allow the suspension to be stiffened when required thus improving handling and softened when possible thus improving comfort.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Th magnetic dampers allow the suspension to be stiffened when required thus improving handling and softened when possible thus improving comfort.
I don't see why a set of aftermarket coilovers on the R8 without magnetic ride couldn't outpeform the magnetic dampers. They would never match the comfort but if the magnetic dampers are superior in handling I'll order them. I will have to see a test to decide I guess.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I do think that this new technology should have been a standard item (although probably costed in the basic price), sfter all the R8 is at the pinnacle of design and development not only for Audi but the car world I general.

The best specification should have been made standard from day one !!!!!

Magnetic ride,adjustable ride height, extended leather & alcantara, LED lighting, sports seats, navigation & top spec music. Now you have a state of the art car which is correctly speced from the begining.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that would have been an interesting concept :confused: :confused: :confused:

But I some how doubt it, the ride height adjustment say at the front would have had to use some kind of Pneumatics / air system like on the Allroad.
I asked for it at the Essen motorshow and they told me it wouldn't have this feature.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The Gallardo can raise its nose for ... clearing speed bumps ... getting in and out of garages/parking lots/driveways that are too steeply sloped for the car at it's normal ride height ... or at least that's my understanding.

My thoughts behind the R8 not having the ability to raise its nose are ... Audi don't feel it needs it.

I think a lot of people think the R8 might have problems clearing speed bumps ... and negotiating ramps in, say a multi level car park ... but it is just speculation unless someone has some actaul measurements for nose clearance ... or the angle of a slope that the front bumper could negotiate.

·
Registered
647 Posts
So called Lifting System(optional) on Gallardo works only till 40km/h. So, it is pretty much designed for "getting in and out of garages/parking lots/driveways that are too steeply sloped for the car at it's normal ride height " as Paul said. It is NOT designed to clear for speed or road bumps...
And there were a lot of problems with Lifting System(oil leak etc.) on first Gallardo's...
AFAIK Audi claim that such system is not needed on R8, but since it is "long nose" car as F430 some bumps problems may occur...

·
Registered
182 Posts
my old 360 spyder went over speed bumps fine no catching i presume the r8 will have better ground clearance than it but my gallardo is very low unfortunately id does not have the raiseing capabilities and i wouldnt attempt speed bumps

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think a lot of people think the R8 might have problems clearing speed bumps ... and negotiating ramps in, say a multi level car park ... but it is just speculation unless someone has some actaul measurements for nose clearance ... or the angle of a slope that the front bumper could negotiate.
The speedbumps here in The Netherlands are horrible. My old Clio V6 always got stuck, and it higher than the R8 :eek:

One solution that sometimes will help: take the speedbump backwards :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts