Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are owners thoughts on the magnetic drive - good value for money ? Better handling - but how much better ?

And is it possible to retro fit it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I never get to use mine on Uk roads, they're just too crappy! :(
However, I bet the track day drivers enjoy it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you have mag ride in your car, its on all the time. You cannot turn it off ! You have two settings "normal" & "hard".

No, you cannot retrofit.

In my opinion, its worth every penny. Very smooth to drive in "normal" mode. In either setting, it prevents body roll when cornering.

On the track its GREAT, but I still prefer to use the normal mode.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I drive the car very fast on a twisty highway I use the firm setting, otherwise I just leave it on normal.

I haven't driven it on the track yet, but I'm guessing that I will then use the firm position.

Is magnetic suspension good ? Sure. Is it essential to enjoy the car ? I doubt it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I play with the normal and sport mode when travelling fast in twisties and the difference is quite noticable. I have not driven the standard suspension (mag is standard in US) so I cannot say how the stiffness compares to the norm and sport modes on magnetic, perhaps somewhere in between?

Either way I am sure its a well balance set up and doubt very much that your missing much.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Remember that in normal mode the mag ride is adaptive so if you drive hard and corner fast it adjusts itself very rapidly to a firmer setting

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I have a '08 TT 3.2 S-tronic. It does not have the mag ride, and has all-season tires instead of summer performance. I can give you a head-to-head comparison between two recent Audis, but they are somewhat dis-similar cars. This is all street driving, I haven't had either on a track, yet.

The TT has a very secure and confident, yet comfortable, ride. When you drive it agressively I do wish it had a little less body roll. The mag ride would probably help with this, although I assume more agressive tires/rims would make a big difference also.

The mag ride on the R8, as mentioned above, is always on. In either mode when the suspension deflects more rapidly, the damping increases. It's more aggressive in the sport mode.

In USA mag ride is standard, and IMHO Audi USA has it right. The mag ride is a worthwhile addition to the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Mag Ride must be the source of the "flat" drive that the R8 provides. I passengered in 5 different cars for "hot laps" with driving instructors and the R8, by far, was the flattest drive. The ride was still thrilling, just without the drama.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts