Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total Porsche driver.....had 6 and have raced Porsches. Current one is a 911 Turbo.

I'm on the list for R8......#1 position. Question is whether the car is compelling enough to boot my Porsches. I like what I see......but the question looms as I get closer to placing my order.

Help !

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you are die hard Porsche fan R8 will not be for you. Honest answer from me.
I owned 987 Boxster S and have tried new 997 Turbo. Awsome power, specially as manual(TIP is even faster in straight line but, it is not for me) and great straight line acceleration. Traction(new PTM system) is not the very best and 997 Turbo is pretty prone to oversteer, specially if you use Sport mode of SC package. 997 Turbo is more expensive(at least in Europe) and will be build in far great numbers then R8. Also there is a difference in NA vs. Turbo engine. 997 Turbo engine, although very responsive for biturbo still features turbo lag(truth, smaller then before). R8 engine is like RS4 engine NA with excellenth throttle respone and is very eager for revs.
Since looks is pretty subjective thing you need to decide what is important to you. Rear engine sportscar or mid engine sportscar? Turbo or NA engine?
My first choice is R8 but, I like and respect 997 Turbo a lot.
BTW, if you plan to track your new car a lot maybe something like 997 GT3RS is a better choice for you...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Some reasons why I will likely trade in my 996TT for the R8:
- The rear-engine design has always bugged me. From the tales of Porsche counter-weighting the car with lead in the front bumper to new owners spinning out and wrapping their 911's around a pole. I acknowledge that Porsche has done a remarkable job with suspension geometry and uses staggered tire sizing to their advantage resulting in an amazingly neutral car these days. However, i just KNOW the mid-engined weight distribution is going to feel better from the driver's seat, and SHOULD be faster on the track.
- I test drove a clunky shifting manual 996TT with it's 2 second first gear before purchasing a tiptronic version. The tip basically performs as advertised and with full manual control has never left me wanting, even on the track. However, I REALLY want to lose the torque converter for a true sequential paddle-shifted manual with an automated clutch. A DSG (dual clutch) design would be preferred, but I'll settle (again) for the R-tronic. (I will miss the automatic's 2 or 3 gear full throttle downshifts - sequential manuals can't do that, right?)
- All turbos have lag and abundant mid-range torque that can make their throttle seem like an on-off switch at times. Some people will avoid turbos altogether for this reason. I don't mind this so much, but I KNOW the smooth and proportionate throttle response of the R8 will feel great. (Losing 100 lb-ft of torque I'm not so sure about...)
- Since a car in this price range is REALLY about 75% performance and 25% show, that V8 under glass looks amazing. I've never popped the engine lid on the Porsche to show it to anyone because frankly, it looks like a mechanic's nightmare! (Again however, losing the rear child seats to the motor will probably be inconvenient once or twice)

The 911 is a great car and the assumption is the R8 will be also. I'll just recommend everyone will have to sample each during their lifetime!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Bandit

I think the guys ... Kreso and 996TT ... have covered pretty much everything above ... and done so in a very fair and honest manner.

I think the major differences between the R8 and 911's will be more noticeable in the ... 'feel' factor ... when you're sat in the drivers seat.

911's have been getting better and better as far as their fan base goes ... and from a technical perspective too ... and have become very focused 'drivers cars' for people who like to have a car that provides lots of 'feel' as well as the ability (more so in the 2wheel drive variants) to be able to 'hang the tail out at will'.

There's no doubt the 911s are excellent cars .. but there is a huge difference in rear engine and mid engine cars when it comes to that things called ... 'feel'.

If you've been a die hard 911 fan and like the 2wheel drive variants more than their all wheel drive stable mates ... the R8 will be a completely different car in terms of 'feel' ... and if you're a turbo lover then the 911s will still be a fair bit quicker than the V8 powered R8 as well ... we'll have to wait and see what they're going to do with the V10 engine when it inevitably finds its way into the engine bay!

Depending on whether you want to move away from the 'potentially' tail happy 911 (albeit significantly less so than in years gone by) ... and move to something with more neutral handling and similar power ... if you're not a lover of the turbo's 911s ... will largely depend on whether the R8 is for you or not.

Obviously all the above is just ... imho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts