Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 R8 is due for it's 5k servicing and the dealer says there are 11 mandatory "campaigns" that will require 2 day's of servicing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know details on these "campaigns"?

I can't find any info about this on the internet.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Search on this forum, loads of details....

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
They are called "RVU"s for Required Vehicle Updates.

So far, they all have been fine, at least on my car. Got the engine management software and the gas cap retaining cord replaced last time. So you want to let them do it.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
What difference afterwrds?? I know the gas filler cap doesn't get stuck any more. Mine got stuck once when I was a newbie and it scared me good. Was pretty low on fuel. My assistant Celina held the release button down while I pried cap open.Now I am more careful with leash placement and no problem. My 08s' engine lid release is at left knee position.I could swear I saw another R8 owner reach BEHIND drivers seat to pull a release.Was I seeing things?? :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could swear I saw another R8 owner reach BEHIND drivers seat to pull a release.Was I seeing things?? :eek:
You did, the release button in behind the drivers seat about 2/3 of the way up the column behind the door.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
So this is a MAJOR difference between the 08 and 09. Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I meant between R8 V8s.And I can't think of many other differences besides colors, Led's and 305 rear tires. This is a major difference to me.I have a nice pull handle at left knee area for unlatching rear lid. (U.S. car) It kinda' beats having to exit car,pull seat forward and then releasing.Just my opinion. Another cost cutter I think. :) NO sarcasm intended !! But I admit that I do feel sarcastic sometimes.Will work on that.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You do not have to pull the seat forward to open the engine lid. It is right behind the seat belt. You just move the belt to the side and there is the switch. It is electrical switch that triggers a solenoid. I have my seat all the way back and it is easy to open the engine compartment. I do it just about every time I get home, to let the heat out.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Other bigger changes to '09s are the addition of a window defroster circuit on the small glass between the cockpit and engine, and the DIS displays in the dashboard are a much more attractive white color instead of red.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
You do not have to pull the seat forward to open the engine lid. It is right behind the seat belt. You just move the belt to the side and there is the switch. It is electrical switch that triggers a solenoid. I have my seat all the way back and it is easy to open the engine compartment. I do it just about every time I get home, to let the heat out.
re letting the heat out, when I first got mine, the first thing my petrolhead friends commented on (after they got over the sheer beauty of the **** thing...) was the fantastic cool down noises. Haven't tracked mine yet, but that and the smell of cooked brakes is close to car nirvana ;-)

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
I like having the button up high next to the seat. Many times after getting out of the car people come up to me asking to look at my car and want a closer look at the engine. Much easier to hit that button than bend over and pull release. Wouldn't doubt thats why they moved it

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I meant between R8 V8s.And I can't think of many other differences besides colors, Led's and 305 rear tires. This is a major difference to me.I have a nice pull handle at left knee area for unlatching rear lid. (U.S. car) It kinda' beats having to exit car,pull seat forward and then releasing.Just my opinion. Another cost cutter I think. :) NO sarcasm intended !! But I admit that I do feel sarcastic sometimes.Will work on that.
305s? I didn't have that option here :(

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
305s? I didn't have that option here :(
305/30ZR19 are the tires that are included when you get the polished or titanium colored double 5 spoke wheels. 295s are the standard tire that comes with the silver double 5 spoke or the new V10 wheel (silver or polished).

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
305/30ZR19 are the tires that are included when you get the polished or titanium colored double 5 spoke wheels. 295s are the standard tire that comes with the silver double 5 spoke or the new V10 wheel (silver or polished).
Are the 305s a late change? The configurator still shows 295s with the polished wheels. I'm just a little surprised my rep didn't mention them to me, I'd have paid the upgrade to get the polished if I knew I could get 305s

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re the 09', gas cap release is on the door, I believe the same place as the "08. The engine release latch is mid-col. behind the drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Are the 305s a late change? The configurator still shows 295s with the polished wheels. I'm just a little surprised my rep didn't mention them to me, I'd have paid the upgrade to get the polished if I knew I could get 305s
smoothy: the authoritative reference is the Order Guide, which your dealer should have let you see in the ordering process. The 305's with the polished wheel option has been on there thru most of not all of the '09 Guide. The 2010 Order Guide added the titanium finish wheel as a "regular" option (had been an "Exclusive" only option before) and both have the 305's. I have the Order Guide as a .pdf file, but I can't figure out how to post stuff like that to one of these replies!! But search on "Order Guide" and you'll find it has been posted in all its versions.

But, if you've got an order in and it's past its modification date, I wouldn't necessarily be too upset. If you read this forum re wheel and tire issues, you'll find that some have expressed the opinion that 305 is a little too much tire for the v8. It has been said that the balance is better with the "stock" 295. At least one other person with 305's has gone 1 (cm) bigger on the front to improve balance.

Such exquisite fine tuning of "balance" may not be an issue for you if you don't intend to track your car. And if you do only occasionally, remember that tire pressure adjustment can offer a BIG range of grip balancing when it comes to tweaking your over/under steer.

Also, the wheels in any case are the same size, so, if you really want the 305's, it's only 2 tires in question and you might be able to get your dealer to swap the rears out when brand new at minimal cost (or NO COST if they didn't adequately inform you in the ordering process!!).

PS: thought just came to me that maybe the Canada Order Guide is different from the US one; in that case, maybe the polished wheel does come with 295's up there; maybe Audi thinks the avg. Yank has a fatter bum than the avg. Canuck and needs the greater load capacity!;)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
smoothy: the authoritative reference is the Order Guide, which your dealer should have let you see in the ordering process. The 305's with the polished wheel option has been on there thru most of not all of the '09 Guide. The 2010 Order Guide added the titanium finish wheel as a "regular" option (had been an "Exclusive" only option before) and both have the 305's. I have the Order Guide as a .pdf file, but I can't figure out how to post stuff like that to one of these replies!! But search on "Order Guide" and you'll find it has been posted in all its versions.

But, if you've got an order in and it's past its modification date, I wouldn't necessarily be too upset. If you read this forum re wheel and tire issues, you'll find that some have expressed the opinion that 305 is a little too much tire for the v8. It has been said that the balance is better with the "stock" 295. At least one other person with 305's has gone 1 (cm) bigger on the front to improve balance.

Such exquisite fine tuning of "balance" may not be an issue for you if you don't intend to track your car. And if you do only occasionally, remember that tire pressure adjustment can offer a BIG range of grip balancing when it comes to tweaking your over/under steer.

Also, the wheels in any case are the same size, so, if you really want the 305's, it's only 2 tires in question and you might be able to get your dealer to swap the rears out when brand new at minimal cost (or NO COST if they didn't adequately inform you in the ordering process!!).

PS: thought just came to me that maybe the Canada Order Guide is different from the US one; in that case, maybe the polished wheel does come with 295's up there; maybe Audi thinks the avg. Yank has a fatter bum than the avg. Canuck and needs the greater load capacity!;)
OP, sorry for the thread hijack :eek:

Willygp, thanks for the info, I do appreciate it. I had my specs on file with the dealer since MY2008 (when I got on the order queue), and I guess he didn't notice the difference. No biggie, I'm happy with the 295, I'll try the wider size when these tires wear out. I have 305s on my Saleen so I know how grabby they can be (mind you it is RWD with a bunch more hp than the R8 so rear traction is a big issue)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts