Votes: 12 40.0%
  • R-Tronic

Votes: 18 60.0%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if the question has been raised here ... so I thought I'd put up a poll.

Being a Brit I've grown up driving manual cars and have always felt more comfortable selecting the gear I feel is appropriate when I want, not when a bunch of cogs/torque splitters, or a computer, think I should change gear, let alone pick the one they think I want.

However, being able to specify flappy paddles for the R-Tronic leaves me with a tough decision ... do I go for a manual R8, with that fabulous looking gated gear shift ... or, go for the R-Tronic and have flappy paddles fitted ... so I can enjoy the ability to manually change gears at the flick, or two, of a paddle ... without the need for a manual clutch ... which technically you only need to put the car into first to pull away from a standing start as ... once you know your car’s engine and gearbox ... you can change gear without the clutch anyway.

The decision isn't made any easier when you consider just how nice the gated manual gear shift looks ... or that the shifts made by the R-Tronic box would be much quicker than even an experienced manual gear shift driver could make them.

Which would you go for:
Manual?
or
R-Tronic?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a BMW M3 SMG and loved it. Everyone who drove it struggled to get used to it which was also cool ;-)

It also had a "launch control" mode that allowed you to do your own factory 0-60, gear change flashing lights, and when you had your foot to the floor and double down clicked to drop two gears, the sound of it double de-clutching as it pulled down the gears was just incredible

Seeya
James

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is probably the main feature of the car I'm disappointed with, no "DSG" dual clutch transmission like Audi offers in their lower HP cars. I've driven an SMG and it's definitely a compromised solution, but certainly preferable to a torque converter automatic in this car.
How did Bugatti manage to get one for their 1000HP Veyron?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I must admit, I had assumed that the r-tronic would be a DSG type solution. It is just a conventional auto box with paddles to control the gear shift?

In which case, it probably will be manual for me...

Seeya
James

·
Registered
9 Posts
actually jabes its not an autobox its a variation of lamborghini's e-gear, which is similar to smg of bmw, and the f1 version of ferrari, people had hope it was be dsg due to the fact is a much smother shift and quicker for that matter.:)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just driven a friends Gallardo...........

Interior looks just like R8, and the gearbox/gearstick/gate is the same as the R8.

It's was a manual and there is a nice "feeel" and a positive change.

Definitely a manual for me !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Currently drive a 911 tiptronic, not going there again, give me a manual any day, the auto boxes just dont do it in a sports car.

I find they change up to soon unless you really push the car all the time and if you use it in manual mode the gear change just does not feel right, anyway if your going to use it in manual mode then you might as well save some money and by a manual IMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been umming and ahhing about this one for a while, then a friend asked me why I wouldn't consider a torque converter auto with buttons or paddles (a la tiptronic) but would think about a paddle shift if it has a proper clutch, albeit one that I don't activate myself.

I couldn't actually think of a good reason why one was acceptable to me as an enthusiastic driver, and the other not, so I guess 'proper' manual for me!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must confess that having seen the 'open gate' that will be on the manual ... I am as tempted to get the manual for the visual appeal of it ... as I am for the fact I'll be in control of when to change gears.

I wouldn't want an automatic that had torque converters which ... to the best of my knowledge ... decreases the bhp at the wheels more than a manual.

I wouldn't mind an automatic that can be driven in proper manual mode without the use of a clutch ... although if it used torque converters I'd probably avoid it ... if my believe about decreasing bhp at the wheels is true.

I feel able to change gear as quick as the next person in a manual ... but the simple fact is that it probably takes me longer than 55milliseconds to ... press the clutch to disengage the gear I'm leaving behind, my foot pressing the clutch down, my hand putting the gear stick into the next gear position and my foot letting the cluch pedal back up again.

So, if I can get a quicker gear change by going for the R-Tronic and still have full control over when the gears are changed ... I might just be tempted ... although in real terms it probably won't reduce the time it takes me to accelerate to my required speed much more than a couple of tenths, or so.

Decisions decisions ... mmmm ... :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, the fun in a manual is heel and toeing on the downshifts, matching the revs and maximising the braking at the same time. I just can't help but feel that hearing a computer do this job perfectly everytime is robbing me of something... And usually I'm a real technophile...

·
Registered
190 Posts
For me, the fun in a manual is heel and toeing on the downshifts, matching the revs and maximising the braking at the same time. I just can't help but feel that hearing a computer do this job perfectly everytime is robbing me of something... And usually I'm a real technophile...
see thats just it in a time where we are allowed to enjoy are cars less and less and that the way it seems to be going they want to either put black boxes in our cars or price off the roads, the simple please of changing gears and really feeling part of the car is robbed with an auto. I know the R tronic is faster, but to gain a couple of milisecs doesnt count in london traffic, when do we get the chance to use the full potencial of our current cars.

Leave me at least one pleasure, while i still have both legs, im going to use em!:)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Manual manual manual ... I want a manual and I want it NOW!

Oh yes ... not only does the 'gated' manual box look superb ... it feels fantastic ... there is no way I'll now even consider an R-Tronic ... sure it was a stationary car it wasn't even idling over ... but the box moves through the gate so nicely and its quick and smooth too ... providing you let the gate work for you ... wrapping your fingers round the gear knob is not the way to use it ... leave your hand virtually flat and almost caress the appropriate side of the gear knob as you slide it up, or down, though the gears and it feels fabulous ... sure it will be considerably different when you are actually driving the car ... but you just know from the movement of the gear stick that its going to be a lovely box.

Manual for me now ... for certain. It'll also quite likely extend the life of my clutch too :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I previously had a Maserati 4200 with Cambiocorsa gearbox - very similar to R-tronic. I really liked it - great fun when driving, slightly more challenging in heavy traffic. Personally "heeling & toeing" are for the birds - there is no way that you can match the computer for exact shifts, ok I admit I am not at all good at that kind of stuff hence thats why I really like Sequential Manual gearboxes as they allow you to shift gears up and down like a pro. I currently have an SLK55 AMG with the mercedes 7 speed autobox which is really good but even although you can change manually as in tiptronic it is not comparable to SMG, although it is silky smooth. My only question is do the paddles stay still as the wheel moves as in Ferrari/Maserati/Lambo, or do they rotate with the wheel as in Merc/BMW? The former is preferable.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manual for me now ... for certain. It'll also quite likely extend the life of my clutch too :)
Agree about getting the manual, but re your last point, P1, the supercar club, had a manual Gallardo that went through 3 clutches in about a year, in the end they got an e-gear one which was kinder on the clutch! Though maybe people 'driving it like they don't own it' are a bit harsher on a clutch than you or I would be...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Has anyone seen an article (or even better driven it personally) about how the R-Tronic actually drives? I have had an S3 with DSG, an S4 with semiautomatic box (not too hot), a Maserati Gransport (much improved gearbox over the original cambiocorsa) and driven a Gallardo with the E gear. There is a world of difference between all these with the DSG obviously the best. However Audi arent going to put a new car out with worse engineering than whats already out there so what I understand is this gearbox will be quicker and more responsive than the Gallardo gearbox it is based on. However it would be nice to know if there are any professional writeups about the gearbox - anyone seen one? One another issue - has anyone heard if the R8 will be making an appearance on Top Gear - I cant believe Clarkson would pass up on such an automotive event?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone seen an article (or even better driven it personally) about how the R-Tronic actually drives? I have had an S3 with DSG, an S4 with semiautomatic box (not too hot), a Maserati Gransport (much improved gearbox over the original cambiocorsa) and driven a Gallardo with the E gear. There is a world of difference between all these with the DSG obviously the best. However Audi arent going to put a new car out with worse engineering than whats already out there so what I understand is this gearbox will be quicker and more responsive than the Gallardo gearbox it is based on. However it would be nice to know if there are any professional writeups about the gearbox - anyone seen one? One another issue - has anyone heard if the R8 will be making an appearance on Top Gear - I cant believe Clarkson would pass up on such an automotive event?
I'm sure Clarkson is chompin at the bit to get his hands on a R8 to test. I'm sure soon enough we will get all the road tests, and impressions we can handle. Cant wait.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts