Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big puzzle after spending some money: We replaced v10 manual gearbox with brand new unit from Audi. (Actually made by Oerlikon Graziano)
Upon first test drive, once it warmed up, we noticed a rattling noise coming from the rear of the transmission. Pretty noticeable if standing in the rear of the car. Ok, we thought the unit is damaged and ordered a new one. New gearbox came slightly shinier, but has the same rattle at idle. If press the clutch, noise disappears. Also, if to apply some slight pressure to a shift rod by trying to move it into the gate - noise also stops. Apparently there is a service advise from Audi that some noise Is expected. However, car have not had this rattle before and I think there should be a solution to this problem. Anyone experienced something similar?
Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
56 Posts
"did u replace throw out bearing?"

This guy is absolutely correct.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmm. I do not hear any rattle from mine, but I know what you mean since my M3 does the exact thing and always has. Does not effect performance or anything, just a little rattly when stopped at a light in neutral.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is the flywheel dual mass? I know they can rattle. Was flywheel done with clutch. I dont think you can re-surface a dual mass wheel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is the flywheel dual mass? I know they can rattle. Was flywheel done with clutch. I dont think you can re-surface a dual mass wheel.
Technically, you can resurface a dual mass flywheel, but it takes a specialty machine shop to do it and it could be okay or it could be bad and you have to pull it all apart and replace it anyway. Not worth the risk in a car of this caliber. My Mazdaspeed 3 had a little rattle from the dual mass flywheel for a while after I replaced the clutch. Didnt do anything to the flywheel, just ran it. It's a daily driver beater car so I didn't really care since it would just rack up miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gents, thanks for input but it is highly unlikely that It is clutch related. Flywheel is also brand new. Sound is coming from the gearbox.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In the BMW community when you go big power, the dual mass flywheel wont hold up to over 700-ish hp so guys have to go to single mass, one piece units.

When this happens, the vibration absorbing qualities of the dual mass are lost and you get lots of rattle from the gear box. People usually raise the idle rpm to get out of this harmonic range.

So question is....does the noise at idle change when you rev engine? Does it change when you press in clutch? How about when you put the engine (at idle) under load like turning on AC?

Here is a vid of this tendency in a N54 BMW Starts really showing it at 45 sec mark.

If it exhibits some of these issues, I might suspect the DMFW may not be acting right which is to absorb these vibrations and not transfer them to gearbox.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had this same issue. Dealer stated flywheel related and normal. It may just be me but it appears to have dissipated over the years.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi

In the R8 with manual transmission, a thick layer of bitumen is applied to the rear cover.

The noise is called rattling wheels.

That is why the manual transmission has a clutch other than R Tronic

Tom

Big puzzle after spending some money: We replaced v10 manual gearbox with brand new unit from Audi. (Actually made by Oerlikon Graziano)
Upon first test drive, once it warmed up, we noticed a rattling noise coming from the rear of the transmission. Pretty noticeable if standing in the rear of the car. Ok, we thought the unit is damaged and ordered a new one. New gearbox came slightly shinier, but has the same rattle at idle. If press the clutch, noise disappears. Also, if to apply some slight pressure to a shift rod by trying to move it into the gate - noise also stops. Apparently there is a service advise from Audi that some noise Is expected. However, car have not had this rattle before and I think there should be a solution to this problem. Anyone experienced something similar?
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the BMW community when you go big power, the dual mass flywheel wont hold up to over 700-ish hp so guys have to go to single mass, one piece units.

When this happens, the vibration absorbing qualities of the dual mass are lost and you get lots of rattle from the gear box. People usually raise the idle rpm to get out of this harmonic range.

So question is....does the noise at idle change when you rev engine? Does it change when you press in clutch? How about when you put the engine (at idle) under load like turning on AC?

Here is a vid of this tendency in a N54 BMW Starts really showing it at 45 sec mark.

If it exhibits some of these issues, I might suspect the DMFW may not be acting right which is to absorb these vibrations and not transfer them to gearbox.
Yep, same sound pattern

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

In the R8 with manual transmission, a thick layer of bitumen is applied to the rear cover.

The noise is called rattling wheels.

That is why the manual transmission has a clutch other than R Tronic

View attachment 251395

Tom
So how to live with it, Tom?
Why Audi let Graziano build it, so We have to suffer?...)

new gearbox with rattling noise on EBay soon.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep, same sound pattern
Maybe swap flywheel. The dual mass is supposed to absorb harmonics and prevent those types of rattles. If it matches those patterns it is certainly the flywheel.

Hope you get it sorted....but if they were willing to put a new trans in it, I would imagine they would swap the flywheel (a lot cheaper than a trans).

·
Owner/Fabricator/Engineer @ GAS
13 Posts
That noise is gear chatter. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s the backlash of freewheeling gears inside the case and perfectly normal. The sound goes away when the clutch is depressed due to the gears coming to a stop. For clients who are concerned about the noise, we frequently swap the gear oil with Motul Gear Competition 75W140. It’s a higher viscosity oil that delivers quieter operation, less wear under high loads and in most cases almost eliminates chatter completely. It’s a common upgrade for frequent track-goers and has proven no ill-effects with the exception of a very small loss in fuel economy due to the heavier fluid.

For reference, your R8 should be equipped with a single mass flywheel, not dual (as equipped on facelift S-tronic cars)

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
That noise is gear chatter. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s the backlash of freewheeling gears inside the case and perfectly normal. The sound goes away when the clutch is depressed due to the gears coming to a stop. For clients who are concerned about the noise, we frequently swap the gear oil with Motul Gear Competition 75W140. It’s a higher viscosity oil that delivers quieter operation, less wear under high loads and in most cases almost eliminates chatter completely. It’s a common upgrade for frequent track-goers and has proven no ill-effects with the exception of a very small loss in fuel economy due to the heavier fluid.

For reference, your R8 should be equipped with a single mass flywheel, not dual (as equipped on facelift S-tronic cars)

Bill

Negative ghostrider, manual trans and R-tronic cars have dual mass flywheels. Don't confuse dual mass with dual clutch, completely different animals.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wrong statement JosB
A simple flywheel is always installed in the R8 Gen1 R-Tronic or manually operated.

Tom

·
Owner/Fabricator/Engineer @ GAS
13 Posts
Negative ghostrider, manual trans and R-tronic cars have dual mass flywheels. Don't confuse dual mass with dual clutch, completely different animals.

Sorry JosB, but speedrs4 is right. MK1 R8 manual & R-Tronic cars come equipped with single mass flywheels. You may be thinking of other VAG models. The R8 unit is multi-piece, but NOT dual mass. I’ll attach a picture of one of the many V10 flywheels we’ve replaced during clutch jobs recently for reference:

S-Tronic R8s (facelift) WERE equipped with dual clutch transmissions, with the addition of a dual mass flywheel to smooth the process.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Insert foot in mouth. Lol. While doing my research for this car, I had learned that they were dual mass and figured this forum was correct in stating that. But, the proof is in the pudding and I had not seen one myself. I stand corrected. Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts