1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
172 Posts
Given your options I would definitely get the GTR, no question. Listen the v10 is faster but the driving characteristics are not better and some have said worse due to the additional weight. The GTR would give you a completly different feel plus the extra power and speed, not to mention that you wouldn't have to realize the depreciation on your v8 in this market. I don't see that there is even a debate here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't sell your V8. But why would you consider the Nissan? The R8 is fantastic and there are better 4-seaters than the GTR.

If you really want the GTR just wait for Gran Turismo 5.

·
Registered
340 Posts
gazza, I would not upgrade to a V10 because the only difference is the additional power, everything else (handling, look, interior, etc) feels the same. That does not create enough of a new car feel and in a couple of months it won't feel that much different from your current R8. I woud spend the money on a "different" car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For a real change in driving experience get a Ford GT, but keep the R8!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re the Ford GT, I had an '06. While not a bad car, the fit, finish and quality of materials was far below the Audi or other exotics. The straight line quickness was fine, but she got a bit oversteered in the turns. The ride was also harsh. I would take our R8 or Aston over the GT any day. Fun for a while, but then a bit brash, somewhat like a Viper. I later had an F430 and it is 100% better than the GT in every way. (much more $$$ yoo!)
Finally, if you go the GT route, make sure you have ample garage side space and never park where someone can park up close to you. Those doors are a bear to open and go into/out, if you are squeezed by space.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The GT draws more attention than any car I own. The power is awsum and the ability to increase the HP is incredible!
In all, a blast to drive.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
But why would you consider the Nissan? The R8 is fantastic and there are better 4-seaters than the GTR.
for the performance (especially at its price point)? I've seen a few gtr's in the flesh and to me it's a good looking car - although I can appreciate why it's not to everyone's taste.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
For a real change in driving experience get a Ford GT, but keep the R8!
Very, very limited seat time in one - about 6 or 7 miles of seat time.

Brutal power - but silky smooth delivery. No hit, no real power band, just grunt off the bottom end, shift to third and wow, we're running almost a 100 mph very quickly.

I wish we'd been able to go play on some twisties, but there were none in the immediate area, so I didn't get a chance to see what the handling and braking were like.

The performance aspect of the car was, for my tiny time in it, very impressive.

Very Ford like in interior (duh - it is a Ford..) - and extremely utilitarian. There are absolutely no creature comforts in the GT. Yes I realize that Ford wanted this to be a "copy" of the original GT40s and I understand where they were coming from in design and concept, but after having an R8, why would any auto maker not take the Audi approach and make a dynamic car livable and useable as a daily driver?

The view out of the car, other than straight ahead, was atrocious. I actually had to put my head up over the steering wheel and look around/in front of the A-pillars to see anything to the side.

I don't know who was responsible for the door/roof line setup, but they need to be hit very hard in the head with a ball-peen hammer in the same spot that the stupid roof part that's attached to the door hit me.

I'm sorry, but the car's a pain to get out of, so why did you put a large, flat plate on top of the door that impedes egress and drops you to you knees whilst seeing stars?

Stick with the Audi brand and go get a V10 (like I'm thinking about doing...)

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
If it appeals to you, the GTR is an amazing car for the price. A friend of mine has one and loves it. Somehow it doesn't inspire me, and in person it looks huge for some reason. If were looking for a 4 seat sports car, the Evora would be at the top of my list. The Panamera (sp?) also looks interesting on paper, but I would have to see it in person.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
All interesting thoughts on the GT. My fears of getting trapped by someone parking too close were not unfounded, it seems. It also sounds like they chose faithful styling over practicality. If I were on the design team I would probably make the same choice. The original was such a beatiful car, I think it's great that one can own a car so close in spirit to it's inspiration. Too bad that moves it to a second tier of car choices for me.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate everyone's input comments and advice.

Had a long lunch today by the ocean in a very relaxing environment and cleared my head of whether to upgrade or not and got it down to this simple question!

Q. Why am I interested in a V10 and want to upgrade

A. More power(duh)!

The external changes on the car certainly do not make me want to buy one.

Then I rationalized I Have a R8 with a brand new engine just installed and mods that will push it over 460hp and HR springs which will alter the feel underneath..so that will give some satisfaction and excitement and a new car feel.

I also remembered a helpful comment posted that was a V10 won,t feel like a new car after a couple of months as it is very identical to my current V8 apart from some more horsepower and a slightly stiffer feel?

So I have solved the major reason for changing...

Then with the money put aside for the upgrade I can purchase another toy for the Garage.

So then the question is what gives me Gob Smack Engine performance, fabulous handling and is recognized as something a bit special... without spending more than the upgrade choice at 200k.

The only choice here is a GT-R

I then get Two Cars for the price of one!!!

Can't really go wrong expect closing my eyes as I approach the Gt--R(maybe its not that ugly)but if you get a chance drive one of these things on a fast twisty mountain road(as I have a couple of times) and push hard and you will surprisingly be rewarded with something pretty special that catches you by surprise.It is also far to say that traveling down a freeway at the speed limit they are mundane but you DO know whats under that right foot

Bit of a war and peace saga I know...but at least I have now worked thru it after weeks of agonizing:confused:..until at least next year when V10 demo's start appearing.

For all of you out there in the same torn place maybe look outside the square and get another toy instead of putting all your eggs in one basket.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Err ... So when are you ordering the V10 ??? :D ;)

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Q. Why am I interested in a V10 and want to upgrade

A. More power(duh)!

The external changes on the car certainly do not make me want to buy one.
Boy you nailed my dilemma to the floor with that one.
Why? - yea, more power and I'd really like to have a blue car instead of the current gray (OEM's picture of their current little project sort of pushed me over the edge - that blue is beautiful!).

But is it worth it???

I should just get mine painted and put a VF supercharger on it and be happy! By the time I purchase a V10, sell mine I'd probably be in the hole compared to just upgrading what I have.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just done a 1200 mile round trip, a mixture of country roads and motorways, and without being dishonest, I have never had so much fun in the V8 as I just did in the V10.

Apart from the extra level of attention which it garners from all quarters, it is just an eye-popping car to drive fast. I felt no handling issues with the extra weight at all, it just seems to require another level of awareness, when blitzing round tight roads. Xray specs would be handy, but I kept reminding myself of the 'limit point' on the bends and trying to keep speed discipline until the point started to fly open.

On the motorway, I picked up a Carrera S and a Vanquish for about 60 miles and we had an awesome time when traffic was quiet. God knows, it could have been some insurance bill! Our exclusivity was somewhat interrupted by a souped up Vauxhall Astra, which nearly popped a reverse wheelie when changing down at about 80 mph! A laugh to see it though.

In slow traffic, there were many positive comments ("Can I just say something. you're car is AMAZING") or thumbs up, or loads of windows opening just to hear the stupendous noise off the lights.

I took some mates out for a demo, both of which had been in the V8. They were astonished at the difference. The engine says it all.

No question. UPGRADE!!:D:D

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike B..of your summary of the awesome V10

I think there is no question that all of us who currently own a V8 will eventually upgrade whether it be now or next year some time etc.

For me I just want to have another car in the garage for a variation of experiences.

Done the deed today and signed the paperwork for a GT-R which will be in the garage before weeks end.

Saved 12% on ticket price which I am happy about as there is only a very limited supply of Gt-Rs in Oz land.

Going for a 10 minute test drive I had 2 thumbs up and 1 serious nod.I am sure they all must be somewhat legally blind but the car does demand serious respect for its performance attributes.

My R8 will still remain my favorite as it is a stunning and beautiful shape regardless of engine.Can't wait for weeks end as I will finally get back my R8 with new engine and mods and the GTR...going to be a busy weekend!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Congrats on the GTR, Gazza.

I can't argue on your choice, as everything I've read about the GTR is good other than, depending on the review or writer of the review, that it tends to be a bit mechanical in it's feedback and feeling on the road. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just that it doesn't seem to have quite the sophistication of the R8 in input and response.

More brutal may be a better way to put it.

I've seen three of them now - a dark green one in Las Vegas, a yellow one on the road around town and I got to check out a beautifully modded red one a while back.

The red one had HRE rims and he had done some sort of aftermarket grill that removes the large license plate bar that runs across the front. The front end mods improved the look of the car immensely. He may have done something to the rocker panels too - not sure.

I'll be interested to see how, after you've had your GTR a while, you think the interior and creature features of the GTR compare to your R8. The one thing that I was not impressed with was the Japanese feeling of the interior of the GTR. Audi just seems to be head and shoulders above pretty much everyone for fit/finish and quality of controls and such.

How long and how much studying to you think it will take to learn all the little button and knob functions of the GTR? I recall it being overwhelming what the dash board is capable of.

I'll see if I can find pix of the red one - there's a local guy that takes pics of cars around here and I know he's used it as a model quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Just done a 1200 mile round trip, a mixture of country roads and motorways, and without being dishonest, I have never had so much fun in the V8 as I just did in the V10.

Apart from the extra level of attention which it garners from all quarters, it is just an eye-popping car to drive fast. I felt no handling issues with the extra weight at all, it just seems to require another level of awareness, when blitzing round tight roads. Xray specs would be handy, but I kept reminding myself of the 'limit point' on the bends and trying to keep speed discipline until the point started to fly open.

On the motorway, I picked up a Carrera S and a Vanquish for about 60 miles and we had an awesome time when traffic was quiet. God knows, it could have been some insurance bill! Our exclusivity was somewhat interrupted by a souped up Vauxhall Astra, which nearly popped a reverse wheelie when changing down at about 80 mph! A laugh to see it though.

In slow traffic, there were many positive comments ("Can I just say something. you're car is AMAZING") or thumbs up, or loads of windows opening just to hear the stupendous noise off the lights.

I took some mates out for a demo, both of which had been in the V8. They were astonished at the difference. The engine says it all.

No question. UPGRADE!!:D:D
I have still been struggling with the decision to change my order from the V8 to the V10 but MikeB now has me sold!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts