Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most have gotten the Shell advertisement email from R8Talk.. my question is, there was no unsubscribe link. Should I assume that going into my UserCP and unchecking "Receive email from administrators" would stop me from getting mail like that in the future?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Desparado and I went to a Society Of Automotive Engineers meeting with a Shell spokesman and we found it very interesting that Shell scrapes the forest floors of its highly explosive pine needles and use it to make an additive to the gasoline thus protecting our forests from burning up whilst cleansing deposits from the combustion chamber of our engines. Sounds good to me.We just have to rid the world of arsonists next!! :) They have been spammed !!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Spamed here as well!:D

·
Administrator
493 Posts
It was a mistake made by somebody in our offices. There should have been an unsubscribe link in the email, but there wasn't. Unsubscribing in the User CP will also stop you from getting any email notifications. It is something we RARELY do (sending out the emails) and in future we will MAKE SURE that there is a way to unsubscribe in the email. Sorry guys, it was our mistake. :(

Nadeem

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nadeem,

Perhaps if the emails were relevant? I mean it really just read like a random rambling from shell. Successful email marketing through lists should appeal to the current crowd in some way. Sure it's gas, and we all need gas for the R8, but I didn't see the R8 mentioned anywhere, nor anything of any real importance. Just some quick facts about shell and done.

*edit* marked it as not-spam in thunderbird and the email looks a lot better with the pics and stuff. Still, pretty random.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Perhaps if the emails were relevant?
can't say I'd appreciate it if this form of advertising became regular, but got to say I find the car drives better on v-power than any other super-unleaded fuel I can readily get locally.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely agree, but if the email had like the subject... "R8Talk recommends Shell V-Power for your R8!"

And then went into how vpower was better etc. As it stands it was a random email and the only way I knew it had anything to do with R8talk was looking at the from.

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
I actually found mine in my spam folder. No biggie, Shell is the only gas I put in my R8. Had always used a name brand usually Sunoco or Mobil but last year I started reading about RS4's having problems with valve deposits. So I started researching gas and found that neither Sunoco or Mobil had the top tier gas rating. Only one in my area on the list was Shell. Also great that here in MA we can get 93 octane.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use Shell V-Power all the time, mostly because it's convenient.

Knowing the costs of running web sites, I appreciate that sponsors like Shell help to bring us this forum. Nothing's free -- especially web sites. In the end, someone's paying.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Knowing the costs of running web sites, I appreciate that sponsors like Shell help to bring us this forum. Nothing's free -- especially web sites. In the end, someone's paying.
true. If enough folk show their appreciation by taking out a paid subscription, maybe they wouldn't have to.

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/payments.php

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don't see the point in spending money to talk to people online when i pay for the internet in the first place. Also the 'extras' that you get for paying aren't exactly worth it in my eyes.

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
I don't see the point in spending money to talk to people online when i pay for the internet in the first place. Also the 'extras' that you get for paying aren't exactly worth it in my eyes.
You can afford 10 R8's but don't want to cough up a few bucks to help this site? I am on a few other Audi forums but they have pretty much zero content for the R8. By far this is the best R8 site and in the few weeks I have been here have got some very valuable info so was glad to chip in to help the site

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
assuming you meant you pay for access to the internet, that access money doesn't filter down to the sites you use which all incur costs in some form or another, so why not reward them if they do deliver utility for you?

or maybe it's just another example of the "entitlement" culture that prevails online.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I pay to use the internet i don't pay to keep sites running, i don't need to, i don't have to and i don't want to.
Stop being so thick... you're coming off as a child. You don't have to pay, that's fine, that's what ads are for. Now pick up your ball and go play with the other kids.

As for the email, I know it costs to run sites, and I know how hard forums can be to monetize. Again, if the email had been made more relevant, it would be less of an issue. When I email opt-in members of my site, I try not only send stuff I think they'll care about and I make it clear who the email is from and why.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Who do you think you are? People are acting like we SHOULD pay to use these forums when we don't have to, so now speaking my mind makes me an idiot? Sorry i was raised to speak my mind and not keep what im thinking to myself. We are all posh.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do - just feel your explanation as to why made no sense to me.

It's like tipping for good service in a restaurant - you don't have to, but it seems you're basically saying you don't think a tip is warranted as you already paid road/fuel tax on your way to the restaurant.

It's a good site, and it's here for free if you want but if you do use it for free them complaining about them trying to find a way to make money (email ads) seems misplaced.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts