Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the MAXTON design splitter as mine and 2 other friends have had these fitted by separate body shops and they have all failed.
MAXTON are blaming it on the fitting, and trying to explain to them it didn’t fail on the fixing but it folded under the car.... is like smashing my head on the corner of a wall repeatedly!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
What do you mean by failed? I bolted mine to existing hardware and riveted the middle area and have had no issues. I've even hit mine on one of those parking stoppers and its still didnt rip off.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Had mine on for nearly 4 years now without any problem. Fitted it myself using a mix of existing fixings and additional 4mm self tapers with large washers. It has seen 140 mph+ on track a few times and remains as solid as the day it was fitted.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The above two posters are Gen1 cars I believe, as am I. If you're referring to the super common Maxton splitter (gloss black typically), that's what I have, and I've had no issues that were the fault of the splitter. Mine is fitted like the above two mention, possibly with the addition of 3M tape (that may just be the side skirts though).

I've taken chunks out of two of them (on my third... I'm not nice to them apparently) on rocks/thrown pebbles in rally situations, but I've seen 170+ mph (indicated) with zero issues.

The one I broke off failed like what you're describing (still mounted, but folded back and then broke off) was in several inches of snow and it was definitely acting as a mini-plow blade (it was already broken or I would have removed it before playing in the snow). I'm assuming you're not driving in several inches of snow or running into deep puddles though...

If you're referring to a Gen2 splitter I can't help you, but I know the Gen1 splitter is super popular, and I haven't heard any complaints like this really - and people track them and worse (in my case haha).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.