Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never ever thought I'd say this but my new to me 600lt has me spoiled- love this car and when I drive my r8+ , I'm bored of it.
I would entertain selling it of the right buyer came along. Anybody interested?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Never ever thought I'd say this but my new to me 600lt has me spoiled- love this car and when I drive my r8+ , I'm bored of it.
I would entertain selling it of the right buyer came along. Anybody interested?
Can you expand on why? I am getting close to adding a new car to the garage and intend to keep the R8. I am looking at 720s and 600lt amongst other cars. i was hoping not to end up with the R8 “sitting in the corner” 😁

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power, the rawness of the 600- it's an animal. Just a different car and a pure upgrade if you are looking for a more driver experience.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Performance
132 Posts
I bought my R8 as a daily driver. If I was looking for a weekend and event exotic it would be a McLaren for sure. As a daily a McLaren (hold the GT) would not be my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've driven them. Better driver cars for sure but I'll take reliability and that V10. My next car will be an F-car V12.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am actually going from a 2019 McLaren 570s spider to a 2011 R8 gated V10. Other then the obvious awesomeness of having a manual car of this magnitude, it was way too easy to go wayyyyyy too fast in the 570. It’s just not a “cruise around” kinda car like the R8 is. Also when it comes to service, finding someone who can service McLarens isn’t easy, compared to Audis. McLarens also won’t hold their value the way an R8 will.

To each their own, but just giving you my take since I just went through this. This was my car ownership journey:

• 2011 R8 v10+ gen 2
  • 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo (e-gear)
  • 2019 McLaren 570s spider
  • 2011 R8 V10 manual

·
Registered
100 Posts
I test drove a 600 LT. Agree with the OP, it’s a very intense and engaging car. But I wouldn’t replace my R8 for it, because I would be scared to drive it too often. Plus I am in love with the V10.

When I was shopping for my R8, I was also cross shopping a McLaren GT. I suspect that car would be more my style, and a tad bit more reliable. But even then this V10 just wins in so many ways. I would add to the R8 in my lineup, but I would be seriously bummed outright replacing it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention that I wanted a spyder. McLaren GT doesn’t come as a spyder, if I’m correct. Having that it my sports car is very important to me. My R8 checked that box

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
How has the dependability been with the 600? Every one I know who owns one says they spend most of their lives in the shop. Would love to own own (Not at todays prices) but having had an engine grenade on me before, and costing $30k. I don't want to find out what a McLaren 3.8 costs to replace.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, I will speak from experience. Going from 2017 R8, to McLaren, Back to a 2020 R8, The mac was a hell of a lot more fun to drive, but I was always worried something was going to break. (minor, for example the air from the vents would malfunction, or the lift would malfunction.) From an overall standpoint the mclaren wasnt NOT reliable. But it had its quirks and issues in which the r8 does not have. Plus I also wanted to steer from modding mclaren which sucked..... Performance or exhaust. If you are going to go Mclaren, do NOT go 720 unless you wanna play the reliable game... Amazing cars 75 percent are in the shop 90 percent of the time...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thought of supercharging or turbos? changes the R8 game entirely...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thought of supercharging or turbos? changes the R8 game entirely...
See my thread about riding in a 1400 hp turbocharged R8

I guess it all depends on how much you value going as fast as possible. The more I’m doing this, the more I view a high end sports car/exotic/supercar (whatever you want to call it) as sort of like a fine wine. Too much of one element ruins the flavor. It’s the whole blend—handling, feel, speed, sound, look—that makes a car special. If you make a car so fast that it just turns into an unbalanced one-trick pony, I’m not sure what exactly I’m driving any longer.

I’m just saying, I moved from a turbocharged car (tuned 992) to something I long have coveted (NA V10). To then take such a thing and ADD turbochargers to it seems, well…..to be sort of ruining something harmonious. But to each their own

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Supercharging is your bet then, retains the NA flavor n characteristics so-to-speak. Still a pleasure to row gears, cruise, and go balls out, just quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Supercharging or turbocharging just makes your R8 as unreliable as a mclaren - except without warranty. Sooner or later and engine or gearbox will go.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Supercharging or turbocharging just makes your R8 as unreliable as a mclaren - except without warranty. Sooner or later and engine or gearbox will go.
Clutch...yes. Gears...perhaps depending how rough you drive it. Engine not so much if you keep it civil (sub 1,000 HP). The motor is pretty stout stock.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts