Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
From what I understand the linear acceleration characteristics of supercharging (750-800 hp) will not damage the clutch, especially if you don't abuse/launch often/much. Turbocharging, after 800-900 HP you do need to look into clutches, but also stand alones, etc. A stage 1 kit should be no issue for the stock clutch also.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a N/A gen 2 plus for 3 years, it was totaled out about 5 weeks ago. My search for a new car went from 600lt to Huracan performante , and then r8. I kicked around the service and cost to own the 600, didn't sit great with me. The performance price point was disturbing lol, so then decide back to the r8, reliable, service at any Audi dealer, I was familiar with the car, great v10, limited v10's to be produced in super near future.
Came across a 2018 VF800 super charged R8 plus with all the vorsteiner mods, suspension, wheels, etc so I snagged it and **** does it pull! Super happy with my choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How has the dependability been with the 600? Every one I know who owns one says they spend most of their lives in the shop. Would love to own own (Not at todays prices) but having had an engine grenade on me before, and costing $30k. I don't want to find out what a McLaren 3.8 costs to replace.
You want to stay with the lt models for mclaren. That is where they put all their r&d and money because they are track cars. The 600's are very reliable and stout vehicles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How has the dependability been with the 600? Every one I know who owns one says they spend most of their lives in the shop. Would love to own own (Not at todays prices) but having had an engine grenade on me before, and costing $30k. I don't want to find out what a McLaren 3.8 costs to replace.
In addition. The 3.8 and the Trans in a mclaren is more reliable than a v10..... it's the electronics that have issues. The 600 electronics though are good though as mentioned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I will speak from experience. Going from 2017 R8, to McLaren, Back to a 2020 R8, The mac was a hell of a lot more fun to drive, but I was always worried something was going to break. (minor, for example the air from the vents would malfunction, or the lift would malfunction.) From an overall standpoint the mclaren wasnt NOT reliable. But it had its quirks and issues in which the r8 does not have. Plus I also wanted to steer from modding mclaren which sucked..... Performance or exhaust. If you are going to go Mclaren, do NOT go 720 unless you wanna play the reliable game... Amazing cars 75 percent are in the shop 90 percent of the time...
It's just not true. You hang around the dealers and true owners and you will find lots of high mileage mclarens that have zero issues. Mclaren has changed the game in customer service and reliable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sadly, I’ve had very poor experiences with all of my Mclaren’s. One of mine was brand new, and spent 8 months of its first year at the dealership, constant issues. Customer service was absolutely abysmal, with the only option they offered me was to buy me out of the car and put me in a new one at $100k loss.

it’s a real shame, because the 600LT is one of the best cars I’ve ever driven, and a totally different experience to the 570S, but I’ll never go back to Mclaren after the way they treated me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's just not true. You hang around the dealers and true owners and you will find lots of high mileage mclarens that have zero issues. Mclaren has changed the game in customer service and reliable.
Exactly. I think when they do have issues, they can be major and are more often then other supercars, but it isnt like they are pieces of poop and are breaking every single day. Agreed on service too. I am in Minnesota and since my car was under warranty, for anything it needed to go in for, Mclaren chicago would send out an enclosed truck free of charge for pick up

·
Registered
806 Posts
Out of the factory, yeah the 600lt spanks the R8. The R8 is very compliant/road friendly. 600LT is a monster.

I haven't been seeing as much reliability issues with McLarens lately but the Audi definitely wins in reliability/engine life/build quality. McLaren seems to have fixed their ridiculous QC issues on the electrical side but have a new problem in body work. I've seen Corvettes put together better than some McLarens (panel gaps/fitment).

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sadly, I’ve had very poor experiences with all of my Mclaren’s. One of mine was brand new, and spent 8 months of its first year at the dealership, constant issues. Customer service was absolutely abysmal, with the only option they offered me was to buy me out of the car and put me in a new one at $100k loss.

it’s a real shame, because the 600LT is one of the best cars I’ve ever driven, and a totally different experience to the 570S, but I’ll never go back to Mclaren after the way they treated me.
Did it fall under lemon law?

·
Registered
2022 Audi R8
56 Posts
A Mac can definitely sit in the garage next to an R8, they compliment each other, I don't really see them as competitors. In fact I might even say they are the best choice in each of there separate niches.

to me a mac compares to a performante or sto or the like. loud and track focused.
an r8 compares more to a gt style ferrari, more street oriented and comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never ever thought I'd say this but my new to me 600lt has me spoiled- love this car and when I drive my r8+ , I'm bored of it.
I would entertain selling it of the right buyer came along. Anybody interested?
What are you asking for and what’s the specs and miles on the R8.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
You may need a backup car for when the McLaren is in the shop.

Before buying my R8, I went to Exotic Racing in Vegas and Drove 10 Cars.

It was awesome experience and helped me decide what car to pursue.

The 2 things I remember the coaches repeating when I told them I was looking to buy a supercar and asked them about reliability.

1) The Ferrari Transmissions were made of glass, broke often and expect 40-50K in repairs.

2) The McLaren's always had something going wrong with them.

Of the 5 they had onsite, only one was available to drive (it was a Green 720S).

When I sat in the car I noticed a lot of the warning (idiot) lights were on.

The coach said ignore all those idiot lights it runs fine after it gets warmed up.

It drove great, was really fun, but comfort and reliability are really important to me and the 720S wasn't really either as I'm a bigger guy.

It was a great day for driving as you can see.

I learned a lot about how each car handled in several categories (Acceleration, Torque, Steering (did you feel connected or NOT), braking, cornering , etc )

The coaches could have turned the phone sideways to get more of the car in the pictures (instead of cutting them off on side, as you can see).

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Clothing Wheel Vehicle Car Tire

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

In the end I decided on a more practical car for the northwest which happened to be an Blue Audi R8 V10.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The r8 is special because of the v10 naturally aspirated motor good for 1800hp on stock internals and all the amazing things that come with it- instant throttle response, beautiful sound, etc. Coupled with the all wheel drive makes it a very unique car (name one other naturally aspirated 600hp+ AWD car). These two factors alone create an amazing platform for modification as evidenced by the numerous tuning shops around the country (sheepy, UG racing, AMS) that have sprung up and centered their business models around modifying the r8/huracan platforms.

The mclarens, namely 720s is unique as it’s out of the box performance is exceptional. This is important if you plan to keep stock to maintain warranty, buyback rights under the law (important for the mclarens… only kidding). But a small engine turbo car is not personally enjoyable for me to drive. For example I was very interested in a Porsche turbo until I test drove one.

And adding any more power to a 2 wheel drive platform that you plan on driving on the street on street tires is hitting some seriously diminishing returns IMO. I have a supercharged v8 m3 with about 650hp and putting all that power through 2 wheels takes out a lot of the fun.. but adds a lot of excitement which is okay sometimes as long as it doesn’t pitch you sideways into a wall.

Someone mentioned reliability being an issue if you modify the r8. I’ve modified cars in the past and if done correctly and driven reasonably (big difference between a modded car that sees WOT once per week versus driven at WOT constantly) they have proven to be amazingly reliable. But my personal mindset is if you want to enjoy a truly amazing performance automobile some sacrifices will have to be made. For many of the folks that highly modify these cars repairing a transmission or clutch is a trivial cost.

The r8 is also special because it is the end of an era of naturally aspirated high performance cars. I many times wonder what “tuning shops” like sheepy race will look like in 10, 20, 30 years. Will they be retrofitting electric motors into old car bodies? I suspect they will still be modifying and wrenching on the likes of R8’s as they represent the end of the era, the best we were able to make before things changed for the… better?

·
Registered
119 Posts
LOVE the looks of the Mac's... especially the LT models. For my anniversary my wife rented a 720s for my son and I to cruise around in. Beautiful car and definitely a sense of occasion when driving it. Everyone and their brother gawked and commented. The downside, the car wouldn't start twice after parking it. Then a check engine light came on and started blinking. Then the car had a message saying, park the car immediately, something about a suspension component failure. I'll never own them and the stories about them are true. When they run, they are up there with the best you can buy but the reliability is GARBAGE and depreciation is even worse.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
LOVE the looks of the Mac's... especially the LT models. For my anniversary my wife rented a 720s for my son and I to cruise around in. Beautiful car and definitely a sense of occasion when driving it. Everyone and their brother gawked and commented. The downside, the car wouldn't start twice after parking it. Then a check engine light came on and started blinking. Then the car had a message saying, park the car immediately, something about a suspension component failure. I'll never own them and the stories about them are true. When they run, they are up there with the best you can buy but the reliability is GARBAGE and depreciation is even worse.
Again you are wrong. It's these stories that give macs a bad rep. You rented an abused car. Talk to a REAL Mac owner that has a relationship with the car itself. I used to have your mentality- it's surely changed in the last year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not wrong. It's just my experience. It either happened or it didn't. Don't take it personally...it's just a car and another data point for folks to use to make an educated decision. I don't have relationships with cars, that's reserved for people, cars are to be used. We often get this backwards in our society today, lol.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts