Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting new tires and the Pilot Sport 4S are on way back order... they told me the Cup2 tires are available. I asked them about how the Cup2 tires are in the rain and they said, 4S and Cup 2 tires are both not meant for rain...

Would you get them or get some other brand?

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What @434 said.

Your tyre guy must be trying to sell you something else to say what he did.
Yeah, he's a new tire guy to me but comes highly recommended. However, I added up the cost on TireRack.com and with install he's almost $900 more. So I'm not sure any tire install is worth that much.

Reactions: Trev450

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had Cup 2's on a e92 M3, they are an excellent tyre.
Dry grip is outstanding, wet grip is good as long as you are aware that the tread pattern leans towards dry work.
Yeah, I rarely drive in the rain. I was just wondering HOW bad they were in the rain... some of the comments on TireRack.com were "it's like ice"...etc. so I was a bit worried even though I don't normally drive in the wet, if I do, I want to know I can drive casually, like daily drive style and not worry about losing it on a corner that has an small area of standing water (the kind you can't see until it's too late).

I've hydroplaned twice and it's not fun. One time on a major freeway did two 360's in tandem with the guy in front of me (like synchronized swimmers).. both came to a top on the side of the freeway like it was planned. Scared the crap out of me when I was driving about 65 going backwards looking at oncoming traffic for a second!

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long is the back order? Why not just wait for them?
I guess because I was recently made aware of my tire issue. They are the original tires from 2014! I've had the car for almost 2 years now, but all last summer while I was working on the honeycomb side blade intake mesh (see blacktopmods.com) I didn't drive the car, so I only have about 6500 miles on it. They are getting little cracks and my mechanic friend (Audi R8 certified and now Ferrari race crew plus works at Lambo/Mclaren/Bugatti dealership) told me I need to replace them. So I'm paranoid about having a blow out. I like to drive it hard in the corners when I do drive.

All that to say, I just really want to drive the car and can't stand watching it sit in the garage.

Reactions: Tupper

· Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
777 Posts
When warmed up the Cup 2 tires are extremely grippy. Tread depth when new is significant less than 4S and they wear very quickly. They are also nail magnets.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had Cup 2's on a e92 M3, they are an excellent tyre.
Dry grip is outstanding, wet grip is good as long as you are aware that the tread pattern leans towards dry work.
How do the Cup 2 tires compare to the 4S ? Would it be better to get the 4S? In your opinion?

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When warmed up the Cup 2 tires are extremely grippy. Tread depth when new is significant less than 4S and they wear very quickly. They are also nail magnets.
I knew you would know! ha hahahh a

Since I probably won't put on more than 2-5k miles a year I'll probably have to replace them for age again before they wear out.

Also, what does it take to "warm them up"? Just drive for 15 minutes or something more? What about cold days like we (you and me) are having (not truly cold, but cold for us 35f mornings to 60f days).

· Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Yes the 4S has deeper tread pattern.

No the Cup2 aren't like driving on ice.
I run them on 991 RS, and the times I've been in the wet have been ok for me.

When I do swap from my 4S tires next time, I plan on putting a little more meat on my R8 tires, and go with 255/35 and 325/30 in Cup2s.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

· Premium Member
1,859 Posts
The 4S is designed for and performs well in wet conditions. No idea why your vendor would say "not meant for rain". I have not tried them on the R8 but it's generally regarded as one of the best options for the R8.

I currently have the Cup2 fitted since 2018 and was happy with them for general road use, though, like you, I don't do a lot of wet driving. I have used them on a track day in Anglesey North Wales and when it started raining mid afternoon I had the track pretty much to myself for the rest of the session. They were fine on a wet track and light rain and I was quite surprised how much corner speed I could carry. Exits required a bit more throttle modulation but that can only be expected. For normal street use I find them a good tyre, but see paragraph below on life.

Standing water and hydroplaning is a different risk and I can't comment on performance in those situations. I know the local roads well enough to know where the water lies and back off appropriately. I can only speculate that hydroplaning risk with Cup2 would be higher as there aren't many water courses in that sparse tread pattern.

One thing I'd say about the Cup2 is the life is probably restricted to about 3-4 years which is a bit less than regular tyres. I'm a low mileage user, currently have about 7,000 miles on them and plenty life left (4mm I think). However, after 3+ years I noticed the traction control light coming on in dry situations and locations where it didn't previously (like full gas exiting a roundabout onto a motorway). So it looks like the compound loses traction with age at a greater rate than regular summer tyres and I'm thinking about changing them out in the spring - that's if I don't abandon ship and buy a 911 Turbo. 🙊- don't tell anyone. If you are doing 4000+ miles a year, then that shouldn't be a problem as you'll be changing on tread wear rather than age.

Hydroplaning risk aside, I think Cup2 would be a good choice for California.

Have you considered the Continental Sportcontact7?

Edit : on your last question. I typically warm them up to 25+C (77F) before anything too brutal. This usually coincides with engine warm up anyway, so no special treatment required.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 4S is designed for and performs well in wet conditions. No idea why your vendor would say "not meant for rain". I have not tried them on the R8 but it's generally regarded as one of the best options for the R8.

I currently have the Cup2 fitted since 2018 and was happy with them for general road use, though, like you, I don't do a lot of wet driving. I have used them on a track day in Anglesey North Wales and when it started raining mid afternoon I had the track pretty much to myself for the rest of the session. They were fine on a wet track and light rain and I was quite surprised how much corner speed I could carry. Exits required a bit more throttle modulation but that can only be expected. For normal street use I find them a good tyre, but see paragraph below on life.

Standing water and hydroplaning is a different risk and I can't comment on performance in those situations. I know the local roads well enough to know where the water lies and back off appropriately. I can only speculate that hydroplaning risk with Cup2 would be higher as there aren't many water courses in that sparse tread pattern.

One thing I'd say about the Cup2 is the life is probably restricted to about 3-4 years which is a bit less than regular tyres. I'm a low mileage user, currently have about 7,000 miles on them and plenty life left (4mm I think). However, after 3+ years I noticed the traction control light coming on in dry situations and locations where it didn't previously (like full gas exiting a roundabout onto a motorway). So it looks like the compound loses traction with age at a greater rate than regular summer tyres and I'm thinking about changing them out in the spring - that's if I don't abandon ship and buy a 911 Turbo. 🙊- don't tell anyone. If you are doing 4000+ miles a year, then that shouldn't be a problem as you'll be changing on tread wear rather than age.

Hydroplaning risk aside, I think Cup2 would be a good choice for California.

Have you considered the Continental Sportcontact7?

Edit : on your last question. I typically warm them up to 25+C (77F) before anything too brutal. This usually coincides with engine warm up anyway, so no special treatment required.
Excellent info. I'm leaning that way now (cup 2).

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes the 4S has deeper tread pattern.

No the Cup2 aren't like driving on ice.
I run them on 991 RS, and the times I've been in the wet have been ok for me.

When I do swap from my 4S tires next time, I plan on putting a little more meat on my R8 tires, and go with 255/35 and 325/30 in Cup2s.
Check the clearance, I am moving up to 245/35 R19 and 305/30 R19 because I plan on lowering the car and that is about as wide as I can go and not hit if the suspension brings the tire up into the well. 315's on the back will rub for sure, unless you use different wheels and offsets. 255's on the front will also rub without new wheels and offsets. Believe me, I'd love to go 315's on the rear, but it just won't work without new wheels and I'm not 100% ready for new wheels yet.

· Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
777 Posts
I knew you would know! ha hahahh a

Since I probably won't put on more than 2-5k miles a year I'll probably have to replace them for age again before they wear out.

Also, what does it take to "warm them up"? Just drive for 15 minutes or something more? What about cold days like we (you and me) are having (not truly cold, but cold for us 35f mornings to 60f days).
A bit of zig zagging in a safe place warms them up.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I ordered the Cup 2's since I almost never drive in the wet. I also got them heat cycled for longer life ?? It was only $15 per tire, so I thought what the heck. They even offer having them shaved ($7/ tire) if you are racing them.

· Registered
1,877 Posts
P4S’s are fantastic in wet, especially considering how wide our tires get in the back. I am thinking about going to cup2’s as well, for the better grip and handling of the new tq.

Reactions: ExpertRanch
1 - 20 of 50 Posts