Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Highly recommend Bridgestone Potenza Race tires from the Huracan STO (same fitment if you have 20s) - they're my go to now. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE IN CALI!

I've never been that blown away by Cup 2s.
I'll make a note of that, but as of yesterday, I made the order for the Cup 2... I needed tires.. and had to make a choice.

Reactions: NYG

· Premium Member
14 R8 V8
389 Posts
Why do people call California, Cali??
Highly recommend Bridgestone Potenza Race tires from the Huracan STO (same fitment if you have 20s) - they're my go to now. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE IN CALI!

I've never been that blown away by Cup 2s.

· Registered
5,822 Posts
I'll make a note of that, but as of yesterday, I made the order for the Cup 2... I needed tires.. and had to make a choice.
You won't be dissapointed. As others have already said, excellent dry grip and not a problem in the wet unless heavy rain with standing water.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You won't be dissapointed. As others have already said, excellent dry grip and not a problem in the wet unless heavy rain with standing water.
They already shipped (NOT TO THE TIRE GUY I started out with). I just shipped them to a discount tire near me as I will be there and they are $27 a tire to install (includes disposal fee). Whereas the guy I started out with (after I ran the numbers) was going to charge me around $500+ to install my tires! I asked him what I would get for the extra $555 and he didn't have a good answer other than he said Discount Tire makes you wait four hours.... I laughed because I just got off the phone with the manager (before I called him) and he told me when my tires arrive, I can call and schedule and appointment and they'll take me right in, no wait. So then he went on to tell me he's an entrepreneur and needs to make money to which I replied, that I understand, I am an entrepreneur too (my whole life) and so then he can understand why I'm going to use Discount Tire (if all he has to offer for the $555 install is speed of install -which I am already getting). I was hoping he might say, we'll replace any factory issue replacement for free, or something, anything... but nothing.

So, they just shipped today and I should have them on my car by Friday and I'll definitely report back! I am itching to hit it. Plus I got them heat cycled from Tire Rack so they should last longer.

Reactions: Trev450

· Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
803 Posts
They already shipped (NOT TO THE TIRE GUY I started out with). I just shipped them to a discount tire near me as I will be there and they are $27 a tire to install (includes disposal fee). Whereas the guy I started out with (after I ran the numbers) was going to charge me around $500+ to install my tires! I asked him what I would get for the extra $555 and he didn't have a good answer other than he said Discount Tire makes you wait four hours.... I laughed because I just got off the phone with the manager (before I called him) and he told me when my tires arrive, I can call and schedule and appointment and they'll take me right in, no wait. So then he went on to tell me he's an entrepreneur and needs to make money to which I replied, that I understand, I am an entrepreneur too (my whole life) and so then he can understand why I'm going to use Discount Tire (if all he has to offer for the $555 install is speed of install -which I am already getting). I was hoping he might say, we'll replace any factory issue replacement for free, or something, anything... but nothing.

So, they just shipped today and I should have them on my car by Friday and I'll definitely report back! I am itching to hit it. Plus I got them heat cycled from Tire Rack so they should last longer.

The PSC2's just wears faster, than PS4S's (with more dry grip), picks up and throws stones more and as a result can feel a little more imbalanced above ~70 mph, but minor. The SC2's can still pull 1G in the wet, but yes has more of an issue with standing water due to tread design and depth. I run them on the street after too many heat cycles, but plenty of tread.

· Registered
'14 V10 Plus VF750
200 Posts
I run cup 2’s on my R8 but never drive it in the wet. On the street, rain/water is actually more dangerous than wet track as pooled water, pot holes, clogged drainage, road grooves and cup 2’s aren’t friends with the limited tread depth. Also, while cup 2’s are sticky in temps above 70 deg, they are also much harder and unpredictable at low temps below 50 deg. Just keep in mind they are more of a purpose built tire and less forgiving than the P4S’s. They also pick up rocks and gravel like crazy on low quality road surfaces. Make sure you have some clear bra on the impact areas.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I run cup 2’s on my R8 but never drive it in the wet. On the street, rain/water is actually more dangerous than wet track as pooled water, pot holes, clogged drainage, road grooves and cup 2’s aren’t friends with the limited tread depth. Also, while cup 2’s are sticky in temps above 70 deg, they are also much harder and unpredictable at low temps below 50 deg. Just keep in mind they are more of a purpose built tire and less forgiving than the P4S’s. They also pick up rocks and gravel like crazy on low quality road surfaces. Make sure you have some clear bra on the impact areas.
The whole car is PPF'd so, I should be ok. It's good to know because right now it's kind of cold for So. Cal. It's 47 F outside right now (10 pm) will drop to about 34 F tonight. So it sounds like i just need to drive cautiously at first until I get used to these tires and understand their characteristics better. Better safe than sorry. I'll take it slow.

· Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
803 Posts
The whole car is PPF'd so, I should be ok. It's good to know because right now it's kind of cold for So. Cal. It's 47 F outside right now (10 pm) will drop to about 34 F tonight. So it sounds like i just need to drive cautiously at first until I get used to these tires and understand their characteristics better. Better safe than sorry. I'll take it slow.
Around 40 deg F is the glass transition point where rubber turns to plastic...especially in performance tires. Very low grip. This is where a lot of Ford GT's with no traction control and high HP from the cold air have been wrecked. If it is damp too. Forget it. Agreed with IndyRon generally on track vs street and puddling, but many USA tracks this is still an issue as they are not as smooth as we would like.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Ok, now that you guys have sufficiently put the fear into me about driving on these tires, but it's too late because I already bought them... Is there ANY sign before the car starts spinning around on the highway? Anything, any sign I should be alert to?

Also, here is my hydroplane history:

1. I never plan to drive in the rain (in the R8), so not worried there, but if for some strange reason I was caught in the rain, would like to know the signs. Of the two times I have hydroplaned-

A. I was 20 yrs old in my 69 Mustang and decided NOT to slow down on a very long and glassy patch of standing water on the highway... I was going sideways pretty quickly, just turned with it and as I came out of the water, everything hooked up.​

B. The story I told earlier about doing two 360s on the highway (78 for anyone who knows them, near Oceanside). I was in an old Chevy Blazer (not mine) that had balding tires. I had no warning and there was no standing water, but it was raining pretty good.​

Ever since the dual 360 spin, my default when raining is to drive below 55 mph.​

Here is my most likely situation:

I'd be driving to South OC Cars & Coffee or Supercars By The Sea and would leave pretty early as I'm about 40 minutes away. So it could possibly be 46 F out this time of year. Summer, Spring, Fall, probably never get this cold. As a matter of fact, we tend to run into the high 80's- mid 90's most of the year, except the coast which would run around 70 F most of the year.​
Interesting note - The speed limit is 65 or 70 on the 5 Freeway most of the way to South OC, but most people drive around 80-90... I'll be going to one of those shows and have prius' blow by me going 90... ha ha h hhah I didn't even know they could go that fast! h hah ahha​

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Ok, now that you guys have sufficiently put the fear into me about driving on these tires, but it's too late because I already bought them... Is there ANY sign before the car starts spinning around on the highway? Anything, any sign I should be alert to?
Don't be scared. I've driven Cup 2s in 15F weather lol - to be fair my garage was warmer so they never really dropped that low because the temperature stayed up while I was driving. Cracking is the most obvious sign for cold weather. Otherwise tire vulcanization will handle all that crap.

They're not great wet tires but they're not nearly as terrifying as the warnings sound. Just don't run over standing water at high speeds. If you can avoid driving in the rain do it but I drove mine in the rain all the time too. Perfectly fine for street driving.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Don't be scared. I've driven Cup 2s in 15F weather lol - to be fair my garage was warmer so they never really dropped that low because the temperature stayed up while I was driving. Cracking is the most obvious sign for cold weather. Otherwise tire vulcanization will handle all that crap.

They're not great wet tires but they're not nearly as terrifying as the warnings sound. Just don't run over standing water at high speeds. If you can avoid driving in the rain do it but I drove mine in the rain all the time too. Perfectly fine for street driving.
That's refreshing! Mine is garaged too, so the lowest it would get in the detached garage would be 55 F and only if it's freezing over night.

Reactions: NYG
21 - 36 of 36 Posts