Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in a bit of a hurry to clean the interior of our A8 4.0TDI yesterday so I used 2 microfiber cloths and clear water only.

The car was an absolute mess especially in the rear where we had put the dogs, but using no cleaning products whatsoever (other than carpet shampoo to clean the mats) it cleaned up quite nicely in very little time.

Essentially I wiped off dirt with the wet cloth and where necessary, such as for windows, I dried the surface with the dry cloth.

Any similar experiences anyone ?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Yes, I do this all the time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
u put dogS in ur R8? wow, people in America really do love their animals

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
u put dogS in ur R8? wow, people in America really do love their animals
I believe he said A8 not R8... besides... where exactly in the back would one put animals in an R8?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Have'nt used micro fiber on inside. Have only vacuumed three or four times.It stays pretty clean.But when I do treat the leather I might try some German product called EFFAX Leder 2 in 1 for cleaning and then Effax brand Lederbalsam. Perfect teamwork it says on the label. I bought these products while on travels in Europe recently.Anyone have experience with these?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
try to clean with some specialized products of some companies like zymöl,meguair's..

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I was in a bit of a hurry to clean the interior of our A8 4.0TDI yesterday so I used 2 microfiber cloths and clear water only.

The car was an absolute mess especially in the rear where we had put the dogs, but using no cleaning products whatsoever (other than carpet shampoo to clean the mats) it cleaned up quite nicely in very little time.

Essentially I wiped off dirt with the wet cloth and where necessary, such as for windows, I dried the surface with the dry cloth.

Any similar experiences anyone ?
Yes, DON'T DO IT!

Everyone is pitching microfiber, soft, it's supposed to pick up all the dirt etc. but you're not going to get all the dirt off with the wet cloth. When you make the pass with the dry cloth, you're grinding the left over dirt (which you do not see) into the finish, This is what creates really fine "micro" scratches. After a couple years of this, it's clearly obvious in the right light.

If your car is dirty, it's better to leave it dirty until you can clean it properly. And by that, I mean a 2-bucket wash job with plenty of water.

Also, I too can highly recommend Zymöl products. I've used their products on all of my cars with stunning results. I have never felt the need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like to wash my cars if it's dirty instead of just wiping it. Way too easy to scratch the paint

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, DON'T DO IT!

Everyone is pitching microfiber, soft, it's supposed to pick up all the dirt etc. but you're not going to get all the dirt off with the wet cloth. When you make the pass with the dry cloth, you're grinding the left over dirt (which you do not see) into the finish, This is what creates really fine "micro" scratches. After a couple years of this, it's clearly obvious in the right light.

If your car is dirty, it's better to leave it dirty until you can clean it properly. And by that, I mean a 2-bucket wash job with plenty of water.

Also, I too can highly recommend Zymöl products. I've used their products on all of my cars with stunning results. I have never felt the need to look elsewhere.

so, i'm going to assume that you're against using QD in between washes? i do agree with you about it's better off leaving car dirty until you can clean it properly though.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I use Eagle One Quick detaler all the time.But just around nooks and crannies to melt down the Scratch and swirl remover residue.Desperado had his car detailed by the MAESTRO detailer.Maybe he can give us a run-down.The Maestro is the one to remind us to double bucket wash.Now I triple bucket.Can I use a hogh pressure washer to hit the paint lightly? My car never gets real dirty or muddy.I don't think pressure and mud would work too well !!!!!!!!!:eek: I think that Q.D. is some of the best stuff to come along...For melting down polish and wax residue.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
so, i'm going to assume that you're against using QD in between washes? QD = Quick Detailer(spray).
I think that's a relative call - how dirty it is. It doesn't matter how you grind dirt into your paint, water or liquid wax. I think most waxes can fill in fine scratches immediately but over the years, it will become more apparent.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The less grinding the better!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Ummm, I think we drifted a little off topic - he was talking about wiping the interior with a wet microfiber, not the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Ummm, I think we drifted a little off topic - he was talking about wiping the interior with a wet microfiber, not the paint.
Indeed! I doubt this would damage leather or vinyl as long as it is conditioned periodically.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Can this cloth be used on Navi.faceplate?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
While the generic microfiber cloths would be OK if new/clean, they can be a little coarse.

I would suggest dusting the screen with a soft microfiber cloth such as a microfiber lens cloth from the camera store or a dedicated microfiber screen cleaning cloth from the computer store. Store it in a ziploc bag to keep it clean. If you have smudges that need more than just dusting, I'd wipe very gently with a very small amount of plain water, as you should avoid wiping the screen while dry. If this doesn't do it, use a minimum amount of a screen cleaning solution, again very gently.

If you do use lens or screen cleaning solutions, do so very sparingly. Some may damage the coatings. I've had this happen (not in the R8) when rubbing vigorously with solutions that were supposedly safe on computer screens. :mad:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Thanks..But i feel like making a joke about SHAM-WOW.Have you seen the info-mercial...Made in GERMANY! Generic or ??? ;)I washed some Micro's along with some regular towels and noticed some Velcro like clinging action!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts