Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Milltek has completed prototype development and testing on their first series R8 Exhaust system and a production version has been fitted to my R8 which will be a feature vehicle at the up coming SEMA Show Oct 28 - Nov 2 in Las Vegas. Pete and the crew from Stratmosphere in the US made all the required arrangements and facilitated the air freight to and installation at my Audi dealer. The sound is nothing short of AWESOME. The Milltek system fitted to my R8 is a non-resonated, non-valved design. The second series of this exhaust will be offered with factory valves and also a resonated version. More to come when I get the opportunity to drive my R8 after SEMA.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the expected performance gain? Is there any?
I have not received the dyno sheet from Milltek on the R8. Milltek also tracked their R8 with the exhaust before they went into production. Unless the R8 is uniquely different from the RS4 I would expect 20-30 hP gain. The numbers from Milltek are alway real and can be trusted. I will post the photos, data and sound clip after SEMA.

·
Registered
274 Posts
cant wait to hear your car... cool mod!

also where to get and approx cost would be nice

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I'm confused on the valve thing on the exhaust systems. My RS4 has the valves and the R8 will too. Will deleating the valve function from the after market exhaust alter performance, sound, options? Will it change the accelerator mapping on the computer when the valve is omitted? I'd like to fit new exhaust not sure which one.
Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm confused on the valve thing on the exhaust systems. My RS4 has the valves and the R8 will too. Will deleating the valve function from the after market exhaust alter performance, sound, options? Will it change the accelerator mapping on the computer when the valve is omitted? I'd like to fit new exhaust not sure which one.
Thanks
The R8 stock exhaust has valves. Milltek will add the valves to maintain factory continuity. Deleting the valves does not alter any aspect of the vehicle performance except you have one level of sound where a valved system will be quieter with the valve closed. Deleting the valve will not alter the ECU mapping oin the Sport Mode.

I had the Milltek, resonated non-valved full catback system on my RS4 and I must say it was the best sound of any exhaust (I heard four others) I found readily available and offered 26 Dyno HP increase, with the down pipes and race cats from Milltek the HP increase was 46 HP..

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
My S4 had a full Milltek system and it ran and sounded great. Audio files don't do the systems justice. Is one system easier to install? With all the body panels that seem to have to be removed for the R8 install, I'd want someone who had done it before.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My S4 had a full Milltek system and it ran and sounded great. Audio files don't do the systems justice. Is one system easier to install? With all the body panels that seem to have to be removed for the R8 install, I'd want someone who had done it before.
I have it too on my S4.

Milltek will make a valved and a non-valved version. The performance gain is likely better than the RS4 version, because shorter exhaust like Porsches and R8 are more restricted (sound regulations etc.).

I have some development pics from the Milltek :) But they are confidential :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
I checked the Milltek website and found that several of their U.S. distributors are Audi dealers. I called one -- Braman Audi in West Palm Beach, Florida -- to inquire about Milltek. First, they said they install the Milltek exhaust systems in their service center, using Audi service technicians. They also said Milltek is the only aftermarket system they will install.

Regarding the Audi warranty, they said the Milltek installation does not void the factory warranty on any components other than those that directly interface with the exhaust system, such as sensors. In other words, the engine and drivetrain warranty is not affected.

As they have not yet seen the Milltek system for the R8, they were not sure how long an installation would take. The guy to whom I talked said I should allow a day and a half, although there was a good chance that once they had done one or two of them, they could do the install inside of a day. (Bit of a bummer, since there are no Milltek installation centers anywhere near my main residence in Chicago. I own a home in Naples, Florida . . . but that means getting the car down to Florida and then dealing with an overnight stay on the other side of the state. But for an extra 20-40 horses without risking the warranty, I'll try to find a way.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do any of these aftermarket exhaust systems affect the Audi warranty on the R8?
I have had Milltek on four Audi's and never a question about warranty coverage. I also had the selling dealer do the installs which makes sure you have someone in your corner should the need ever arise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts