Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 08 for 6 or 7 years now and loved it. Although I have a second car I use it often. Thinking of a change and I was really impressed taking a gen2 for a drive. However I’ve started to think maybe a 458 would be a great car with a Tesla3 for the daily stuff. What say you? Am I mad getting rid of the gen1?

·
Registered
307 Posts
upgrading from the v8 is common. i would move to a gen 2 over a completly different platform unless you are familiar and in love with ferraris

·
Registered
116 Posts
not mad for getting rid of a gen 1 for a gen 2 lets be honest gen 2 is a much more up to date car as far as tech comfort and reliability for being a newer car a 458 your going to be out of warranty most likely on it but it is more of a raw performance car IMO to a gen 2 although v10 NA super cars are being fazed out but then again the 458 was the last NA Mid engine v8 Ferrari made

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The 458 is a completely different drive to an R8 so suggest you try one first.

Reactions: dinkman

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Where’s jbusa95te? He’s had multiple of both Gen 1 and 458’s I believe. He always kept coming back to the R8. Says something. I love the 458. Drive is different for sure (better and worse), and I wouldn’t buy one unless it was in Speciale trim. The Gen 2 is a phenomenal machine. As is the 458. Drive both, then decide.

·
Administrator
6,160 Posts
Could get a brand new R8 Performance for less than a several year old 458. So I would go with R8 whith great tech and a warranty

Reactions: viappc

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Only 458 i would buy would be a speciale.
You could order a new huracan evo rwd for a nice price.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Where’s jbusa95te? He’s had multiple of both Gen 1 and 458’s I believe. He always kept coming back to the R8. Says something. I love the 458. Drive is different for sure (better and worse), and I wouldn’t buy one unless it was in Speciale trim. The Gen 2 is a phenomenal machine. As is the 458. Drive both, then decide.
Thanks FoD
I've owned several R8's and a couple of 458's. The new R8's are a slightly more modern car and a little more refined than the 458. The 458 is really stunning to look at and is a blast at WOT and also when you're just cruising around slow. Sounds beautiful and gets unbelievable attention. The build quality is somewhat subpar to the R8 all Gens. Not horrible just not like the Audi. Its the half throttle experience I don't like. Touchy throttle response and hard to modulate like the V10. The Gen 2 is seamless in its power delivery but you must get an exhaust to truly experience the joy of the Gen 2 . I myself went back to a Facelift Gen1 Manual V10 because the gated experience is pure heaven. My favorite of all the cars I've owned. That said I have arthritis in my knees and although I'm getting some treatment that I hope works I may need to sell my beloved R8 Facelift V10 and go to an automatic UGH!!! Its a very fun experience to own a Ferrari. You should at least try it once. I may go back to one myself

·
Registered
965 Posts
The question is do you wanna put with all the problems that the 458 will give you down the road? Fixing Ferraris are ultra expensive I imagine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The question is do you wanna put with all the problems that the 458 will give you down the road? Fixing Ferraris are ultra expensive I imagine.
You're mistaken. The 458 is a pretty bulletproof car. Other than the infamous sticky buttons every Ferrari experiences, the 458 is easily a daily if one were inclined.

They drive close to the same, but the R8 feels a little more planted with the all wheel drive. Tune your R8 and it will dust a 458 will give you the same smile. Both are great cars but with the R8 you can get something 5 to 7 years newer, much better tech, and manage to pocket $20K to $40K.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Feel like I’m pitching the 2022 cars a bit hard, but why not a 2022 R8 Performance RWD? Get the new car warranty, same power as the 458, same RWD experience, get the full Gen 2 R8 experience, and just about the same weight if you swap the exhaust out.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The Ferrari's are very reliable and the experience is quite different. The smart man buys the R8 but the passionate man buys the Ferrari. lol A quote from my buddy at Ferrari Atlanta

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Ferrari's are very reliable and the experience is quite different. The smart man buys the R8 but the passionate man buys the Ferrari. lol A quote from my buddy at Ferrari Atlanta
I can second that statement my father has a 360 stick and compared to the r8 its way more alive and raw feeling and built with some real love and passion

·
Registered
307 Posts
interesting feedback here in suport and favoring ferrari on occasion. making me reconsider my own biases, thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can second that statement my father has a 360 stick and compared to the r8 its way more alive and raw feeling and built with some real love and passion
I dont know about that - I had a gated 360 Spyder and maybe mine was put together on a Friday afternoon, but the only passion and feeling I recall is frustration in the way it would constantly let me down with expensive problems. I ended up calling it 'The Supermodel' - gorgeous on the outside and broken on the inside. Also, getting dusted by a Subaru in a straight line is pretty humbling too...the 360 was not performant car by any stretch of the imagination - keep the revs above 4K but without that, it had the torque of a Prius.

The 458 is a different matter tho - when they introduced the factory cube warranty, it said a lot about their quality control.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have driven both my gen 1 r8 v10 manual and a friends 458 through the canyons a few times. I can't comment on a gen2 R8, but the 458 vs the gen 1 v10 is really interesting.

The power is more than enough in both. I love rowing gears but the ferrari dual clutch is really engaging and usable - which I can't say about PDK in other friends' 911 Turbo S cars.

The steering on the 458 is crazy! It's so sharp and it turns in so hard. It does feel light to me though and I prefer the heavier feel of my R8 steering for some reason. I definitely felt I could drive the 458 faster through the canyon than I can the R8. Why? The weight difference is huge. The 458 is just so much lighter than our R8s - and you really notice it.

I'm lucky in that I have the best of both worlds with a 355 GTS and an R8 V10 - Owning a Ferrari s an amazing experience but the R8 has been so nice to drive and definitely feels like I could drive it daily if I wanted.

Those are my random thoughts!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Man... that's just a difficult comparison.

Realistically, I'd lean R8 V10 for a few reasons:

1. Ferrari has been improving their engine life span for a while now. The 458 engine has a decent record for reliability but it will not even come close to the life of the 5.2V10.
2. Ferrari is going to be extremely flashy for regular use - I personally would struggle with driving in the city on a rosso corsa 458 regularly but have no issue with the R8. The R8 commands attention but not quite like a Ferrari.
3. 458s have had some consistent electrical issues over the years but nothing too major.
4. The 458 has one of the best sounding V8s of ALL TIME. It's a lot more piercing and audible than the R8 stock system but ultimately the V10 will sound better if you want to change the pipes - in my opinion of course.
5. Mileage vs. Depreciation. Every mile you put on the 458 just kills the value - it has gotten a lot better because the engines don't fall apart after 15k miles any more but the stigma remains.

That being said, if I had the money laying around I'd have a 488 Pista

1 - 20 of 24 Posts