Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to those that have already chimed in when I was just looking into the position. As of this afternoon it is official and done. I will be either flying out on the 28th March or 11th April.

Ok some questions I asked last month.

1. What is best way to find rental property, Google UK is not as helpful for finding this as here in US. ( I figure I am just typing in wrong keywords)

2. I am looking at these areas, Cambridge, Peterborough, and Huntingdon. As of now don't know a house or nice apartment. But of these areas any recommendations, it will be just myself, as of now no pets.

3. Anything odd that I should bring with me from US? Such as I heard in UK the largest bottle of Advil and such is 16 pills.

4. Driving schools in UK or Europe. What are best options there?

5. Self protection, I realize I am not allowed my handguns and such and they will stay here. But what options are there for home/self protection.

6. What scams and such may be different there?

7. Social mannerisms, so I'm not the loud rich American idiot what should I be aware of.

Thank you, I'll post up as I think of things.

·
Registered
193 Posts
1. and 2. I've been out of the UK too long to give you a sensible answer

3. You're unlikely to find US sizes (i.e. way too big... <grin>) of just about any product in the UK. That said most things are readily available so don't worry about that

4. Here are a few places to start -

You will find some more here -
http://www.strikeengine.com/driving_experience_uk_usa.html

Audi offers some nice courses also and at least you will not be told not to use your R8 since everyone else drives beat-up BMWs (as happened to me when I recently took some courses to get a racing license at Zandvoort, Netherlands).

Language may be an issue if you want to take courses on the continent.

5. Common sense and karate (in that order) should get you through pretty much anything, though weighing over 200 lbs and standing over 6' tall usually means you're fine anywhere on earth. Unless you do stupid things the UK is pretty safe.

6. Scams have become International. You're likely familiar with most of them.

7. Just do as the others do. Not an obvious thing with an R8 that said. Keep in mind that displays of affluence are generally best avoided. Avoid loud.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Lee

Self Protection :eek: Guns :eek: In Cambridge :eek:

Once you're here you are really gonna fall about laughing and perhaps a liitle embarrassed that you even asked the question :eek:

I often visit Cambridge and it isn't exactly Doge City circa the 1880's - the only protection you are every likely to call upon is an umbrella ;)

As we discussed in our emails I had a neighbour whose job brought him here from the States a few years ago and on my first discussion with him he was surprised that we actually had "appliances" (fridges and washing machines) and really did believe that most houses didn't have mains drainage. He thought we threw the sewage out of the windows into the street !!!!

Best advice is stick to your desire not to be loud or boastfully rich and everything else will then fall easily into place :)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Best advice is stick to your desire not to be loud or boastfully rich and everything else will then fall easily into place :)
Kinda' hard to do ANYWHERE in a R8, you don't even need to open your mouth!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kinda' hard to do ANYWHERE in a R8, you don't even need to open your mouth!
Doesn't actually seem to apply with the R8 in the UK and one of the major reasons it's a joy to drive :)

Porsche and everyone thinks "arrogant young city whizz kid" :mad:

Ferrari and it's "Big Headed but no brain Footballer" :mad:

Range Rover (my other car) :eek: is "Unspeakable Planet destroying B******d" :mad:

Aston or R8 it's "Cool , intelligent , suave and impeccable taste" :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have yet to get the R8, that has been my dilemma should I pay off my beach house my first little bit out there or get the R8. Then if I get the R8 should I get the V10 or a used R8. It appears UK has the highest amount of used R8's anywhere.

Ha-ha also what do I get a decent house in the country or a nice place in the city. Choices Choices

Which one is better for night life and young (well off) professionals Peterborough or Cambridge? I had heard Peterborough had higher crime.

I'm unsure what to expect as well, though I know enough to know there are toilets inside.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
To be mentioned in the same breath as the Austin is a compliment. Audi is very style consious,But the LED's still scream "look at me!" Not at that Austin! Enjoy the U.K.--Talk about culture shock. The food over there MIGHT take a little getting used to.Do they have a Pollo Loco restaurant over there? :D I would go with a flat in the city and a garden house in the country. I tried the Traditional breakfast in Heathrow airport and personally I was blown away !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I am assuming there are no Waffle Houses over there, or Sonic, IHOP (hmmm should be IHOP, haha it has International in its name)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Lee

I will see if I can help you on your Q's, as I live about 40 miles away from Cambridge area.

1. What is best way to find rental property, Google UK is not as helpful for finding this as here in US. ( I figure I am just typing in wrong keywords)

I would suggest www.primelocation.com or www.rightmove.com as good starting places to hunt down rented properties, however there is no substitute for finding local real estate agents who can do this for you.

2. I am looking at these areas, Cambridge, Peterborough, and Huntingdon. As of now don't know a house or nice apartment. But of these areas any recommendations, it will be just myself, as of now no pets.

It depends what you want - rural or town/city. None of these are very big, compared to US cities, however with the university in Cambridge, its got a great feel to the place. Huntingdon has some very picturesque areas around it. Peterborough is a newer town, and I would suggest is slightly cheaper, although not as historical as the others.

3. Anything odd that I should bring with me from US? Such as I heard in UK the largest bottle of Advil and such is 16 pills.

Remember everything here runs on 240 volts and we drive on the other side of the road. Our cars in general as far better of course and we have taste!

4. Driving schools in UK or Europe. What are best options there?

I assume you mean to retake your test. This is easy - you can drive for a year on your US license and then you have to take a british one, There are loads of schools, but it's a 2 part test, first theory, then the practical

5. Self protection, I realize I am not allowed my handguns and such and they will stay here. But what options are there for home/self protection.

You won't need home protection other than a front door key. As someone else said, an umbrella it the most you will need. One thing to be careful of is the club culture at 12.00am-4.am in some town centres as youths spill out onto the streets quite drunk. Fights regularly break out, so I suggest you just steer clear.

6. What scams and such may be different there?

These tend to be the same everywhere. I wouldn't really worry.

7. Social mannerisms, so I'm not the loud rich American idiot what should I be aware of.

No issues if you not over the top or too loud - most brits like america as a country, but find some americans very loud, especially when they are here. Our culture is more reserved, but we tend to have a very dry wicked sense of humour.

Hope that helps

Jon P

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The hooligans come out at nite? At least it is a nitely hooligans' holiday and not the sneaky,home invading,tagging,cowardly ,a**hole ,gangsters in America!:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
The hooligans come out at nite? At least it is a nitely hooligans' holiday and not the sneaky,home invading,tagging,cowardly ,a**hole ,gangsters in America!:eek::eek::eek:
We don't really like to mention the problems we have at night :eek:

Cambridge is an historic old town steeped in mystery and legend. Many of the old buildings have forbidding , musty , cobweb encrusted vaults and lurking therein are bloodsucking creatures of the night known as the UNDEAD :eek:
As the sun sets over Cambridge these creatures rise from their coffins and seek prey from which to suck the lifeblood from unsuspecting victims:(

Visiting Americans are a particular delicacy to them !

Therefore the advice is :-

1. Forget the gun although a Wooden Stake might come in handy :eek:

2.Turn down the move to the UK if the job involves a night shift :eek:

3.Be prepared for the whacky British sense of humour ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks R8Jon, Yea I think I have decided for a place in the city, now just trying to decide P-Borough or Cambridge.

Ha-ha ok this is going to sound bad, but which city has a better class of women? I turn 29 in 2 weeks make quite a bit of money, and was curious other than London where are professional classy ladies. Not that i'm coming for the women, but ya know, I don't want to be a hermit.

I know the that the UK's economy is bad, like the US's, I am assuming that means hurting luxury apartment companies.
Over here in US most large cities, high end apartments offer incentives such as 2 months free or some offer discount vehicle leases. Anyone know if its same there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HAHA Conker, so you saying I'll be sucked dry in Cambridge haha, LaStat over there

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lee, it has to be Cambridge for a classier type of both accomodation and women :)

However , both will be less expensive and easier to find in Peterborough ;)

More seriously I haven't noticed any particular special offers on luxury appartments or any other type of property. The rental market in the UK is perhaps holding up much better. If you have the cash there are some fantastic discounts on buying outright but that of course depends on your view as to whether the market has bottomed out or has further to go:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How far are the train trips to London from Peterborough and Cambridge?

I've heard most use the train for getting back and forth there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far it is looking like as mentioned by you guys above, Peterborugh is little cheaper (relative to Cambridge). But it seem Peterborough has the newest and more complete luxury apartments bewteen them.

But if London is where all the fun is Peterborough it appears is much further than Cambridge.

Who knows, maybe I'll just live in a Van down by the river!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
English chicks are HOTT!! And they have all their teeth these days too.But the wonderful way they speak can't be beat!! ( accent). Every time I hear the gal on my Navi. I almost get a woody.But seriously, the housing market has probably bottomed out about now.:D

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
This Forum used to be about the Audi R8 ...I for one would appreciate it if we could get back to that subject.

By the way, I grew up in the UK and left in the late 70's; I visit almost every year (83 year old mother + two brothers) so I am quite familiar with it. It really is not so complicated to find information about life there ...there are dozens of helpful websites and numerous publications that can provide you with the information you need (including the websites of the public transport companies, the websites of most major stores and supermarket chains, the websites of many government organizations etc.).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This Forum used to be about the Audi R8 ...I for one would appreciate it if we could get back to that subject.

By the way, I grew up in the UK and left in the late 70's; I visit almost every year (83 year old mother + two brothers) so I am quite familiar with it. It really is not so complicated to find information about life there ...there are dozens of helpful websites and numerous publications that can provide you with the information you need (including the websites of the public transport companies, the websites of most major stores and supermarket chains, the websites of many government organizations etc.).
This is where the "oh very powerful" mouse comes into play. This mouse gives the ability to not click on links you are uninterested in.

Couple of the main reasons, I ask questions here while though not my only research area. Is that one we all have love of cars, another is that on most expat forums and such when you start asking about luxury apartments or such ya get branded as a snob.

Sorry to distract you from your R8 reading, but also why I made clear what it was in the title. I hope you sleep better, after getting that off your chest.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts