Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

1. I have my car booked in with MRC on the 25th Nov (Gen 1 v10+). It’s having a health check and pre dyno run and then a carbon clean and BMC filter upgrade. Depending on the dyno result, if it’s close to its original 542bhp I might leave the carbon clean and get their stage 2 remap instead, they are about the same price. The cars already running with a capristo exhaust on. Can’t justify getting both done at the moment but thinking what would be my cut off to get the carbon clean done, 520bhp or less..? will post some results/photos next week when I’m there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's some drop in power. Be interesting to see what you think after it's done. Will you be having another dyno run? I had a carbon clean and full service done on my V8 but didn't really affect performance afterwards. Get some photos of the buildup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, MRC just called to say car is ready and it's now putting out 603BHP. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow, I should be able to feel 110bhp extra. Yes, I asked for photos of the carbon buildup, I'll post more once I have her back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, MRC just called to say car is ready and it's now putting out 603BHP. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow, I should be able to feel 110bhp extra. Yes, I asked for photos of the carbon buildup, I'll post more once I have her back.
WOW that sounds amazing cant wait to hear what your butt dyno says with that extra power

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked her up yesterday morning, Doug at MRC was very informative, showed me the dyno graph (attached).
On the drive home it was 0c and the roads were properly frosty, so couldn’t really open her up but on the m40 motorway cruising in 7th gear, I could easily tell she had more low down torque, it was easily noticeable.
Today it was a bit sunnier (5c lol), so I got my foot down a bit. Went through 2nd gear and most of 3rd and yes, most definitely there is a lot more power there, it just picks up and goes, not that it was slow before but now it feels like it’s got power everywhere and not just towards the redline, I thought I had a supercar with supercar performance before but it really is noticeable how much more power there is now. I can only describe it as being quite scary and I guess the feeling Hurracan owners must have, it really is massively noticeable but I guess I shouldn’t of been surprised really as I just added 110bhp..!
Another thing is that with sports mode on and in manual, the stronic bangs the gears home harder, there is more of a punch in the back motion, which is nice but doesn’t unsettle the car. Also, from the capristo, there are more crackles and burbles when you let off but not all the time and not too many.
Lasty, the engine feels a lot smoother in its pick up and noise, it used to sound like a bag of nuts and bolts in a washing machine at tickover and when cold, I just thought v10s all sounded like that but now that diesely/taperty sound is pretty much gone, not sure if that is due to the carbon clean or remap.
Over all, bloody happy with it, just wish weather was warmer so I could explore that engine some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Massive improvement, no wonder you're pleased. I had an APR map installed by Ricky last year so know the difference it makes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it really is noticeable, roll on spring and warm weather..! MRC took photos of the carbon build up too; will post those, waiting for them to email me. They also mentioned that Audi mapped the car from stock to hold back the engine a bit from 5,000 rpm, so not to tread on Gallardo owners toes. They removed that and I am sure the APR map removes that too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good results. Shame they didn't do a dyno run straight after the carbon clean to see how much that alone affected things as that was a fair amount of power loss initially. Be interesting to see the pics of the carbon build up. Always thinking about stepping up to the V10 myself but not as keen on the gen 2 prefacelift models and the facelift models are still a bit pricey. Was in the local dealer the other day getting an MOT and they had a gorgeous mythos black carbon edition in, with silver side blades, and it did look stunning. Will be a massive step up from 430bhp to 620 lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As a V8 to 2017 V10 Plus owner, I can assure you it certainly is!

Good results. Shame they didn't do a dyno run straight after the carbon clean to see how much that alone affected things as that was a fair amount of power loss initially. Be interesting to see the pics of the carbon build up. Always thinking about stepping up to the V10 myself but not as keen on the gen 2 prefacelift models and the facelift models are still a bit pricey. Was in the local dealer the other day getting an MOT and they had a gorgeous mythos black carbon edition in, with silver side blades, and it did look stunning. Will be a massive step up from 430bhp to 620 lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should look at getting a Gen1 V10 Plus, 2013-2015, better looking IMO and a hell of a lot cheaper and as you can see for mine, you can get them to pretty much Gen2 power. The one thing I really like about the Gen2 though is that digital dash with the central rev counter....ooooh lovely..!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah a gen 1 is where I would have to go at moment. Seen a nice one for sale but a bit overpriced imo. I really do like the new gen 2 but the main thing is the better nav and infotainment etc. The gen 1 is really lacking in that area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, satnav is pretty crap, you can only put in 4 digits for a postcode but it usually finds the road and it’s not too bad, graphics wise. You should look at an E46 M3 satnav, Dot Matrix lol ! You should be able to find a 2014-2015 Plus with under 25k miles for around £60-65k. Really low mile examples with around 10-15k miles are asking high £60s but it’s a buyers market, there aren’t too many people queuing up to buy 5.2litre v10s. I think now, you could get a great deal.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yeah, satnav is pretty crap, you can only put in 4 digits for a postcode but it usually finds the road and it’s not too bad, graphics wise. You should look at an E46 M3 satnav, Dot Matrix lol ! You should be able to find a 2014-2015 Plus with under 25k miles for around £60-65k. Really low mile examples with around 10-15k miles are asking high £60s but it’s a buyers market, there aren’t too many people queuing up to buy 5.2litre v10s. I think now, you could get a great deal.
If you get an upgraded DVD, the gen 1 will do 6 digit post code look ups.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Very impressive all over the rev range. Looks like ~90-110Nm gain from 6k up to the red line. You've gained the equivalent of my ford fiesta engine with a clean and a remap!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thats handy. any idea where i can get a later dvd for a reasonable price. Audi want over £300.
Sorry OP, hijacking the thread a bit here.
eBay was my friend but it was an official DVD - bought it a couple of years ago so no link I'm afraid.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts