Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty skeptical about new plugs giving you more torque and hp increase, but it was time for new plugs after six months and I decided to check out the new NGK ruthenium hx plugs.

Swapping out from NGK laser iridiums to these new plugs I thought won't be much difference.... but I'm actually blown away. NGK was advertising better ignition and more power with them. So I installed them and it is so much so my car will now spin the tires every time I hit the accelerator in first gear and second can loose traction now. The increased torque is amazing and the high horsepower rap is much faster, anyone who is needing a new set of plugs needs a try a set of these set them at .035" of an inch gap.

Then report below your feelings on them and if you see the same changes, I know I am not crazy and
I know what I am using from now on.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
They are also not available in the UK.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
How can something not be available when we all have the internet?
Yes we have the internet so these plugs could be purchased via that method, but because they are not sold in the UK, by the time you add the costs of shipping from the US plus the delivery time, they end up being quite costly.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The question is why not in UK and Germany?

The question is, why not in the UK and Germany? Could it be that these parts are not permanently fixed in the event of high engine loads?

Tom

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
OEM gap spec is 0.032", not .035"

Also, what is Free driving?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
At a guess, motorways without speed limits!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We don't have those :(

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We don't either. (n)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi

We are allowed to do that in Germany and the load on the engine is extremely high.
The spark plugs have to withstand this load.

Tom

·
Registered
816 Posts
I too am curious as to the validity of these plugs with their reputed claims. Thanks to the OP for letting us know his thoughts. Its these types of submissions that make being a forum member so worth while. For the cost of a set of plugs its certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes we have the internet so these plugs could be purchased via that method, but because they are not sold in the UK, by the time you add the costs of shipping from the US plus the delivery time, they end up being quite costly.
You bought an R8 and you're worried about a few dollars for shipping some plugs?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Granted $30 shipping is no big deal but add to that, $50 import tax and a set of 10 comes out at around $280.

Reactions: p121e

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty skeptical about new plugs giving you more torque and hp increase, but it was time for new plugs after six months and I decided to check out the new NGK ruthenium hx plugs.

Swapping out from NGK laser iridiums to these new plugs I thought won't be much difference.... but I'm actually blown away. NGK was advertising better ignition and more power with them. So I installed them and it is so much so my car will now spin the tires every time I hit the accelerator in first gear and second can loose traction now. The increased torque is amazing and the high horsepower rap is much faster, anyone who is needing a new set of plugs needs a try a set of these set them at .035" of an inch gap.

Then report below your feelings on them and if you see the same changes, I know I am not crazy and View attachment 256653 I know what I am using from now on.
I put them in my 2015 Honda CR-V, very noticeably smoother, slight gain in MPG and definitely a bit quicker. Plus only $13/plug vs Iridium at about $28, with double the life. This is my go to for whatever I have from now on. Probably will never have to replace them in the CR-V. Can't wait to try some in my newly carbureted '73 240z.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I am about to change my spark plugs. I did some research and the company says those are for supercharged/turbocharged cars. But those are definitely attractive.

·
Enthusiast first, vendor second.
296 Posts
I switched to these about eight months ago and you're not crazy, they're actually quite good. I've used everything under the sun and was invested in high hp turbocharged rotaries for some time. I went through spark plugs like Oreo cookies when I had a functioning metabolism. Never bought in to any of the hyperbolic marketing or "magic" plugs. But the Rutheniums are solid. For those in the U.S., you can usually find them somewhat cheaply at www.rockauto.com.

And Rutheniums are available in the UK. I have a few clients there that run them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts