Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I switched to these about eight months ago and you're not crazy, they're actually quite good. I've used everything under the sun and was invested in high hp turbocharged rotaries for some time. I went through spark plugs like Oreo cookies when I had a functioning metabolism. Never bought in to any of the hyperbolic marketing or "magic" plugs. But the Rutheniums are solid. For those in the U.S., you can usually find them somewhat cheaply at www.rockauto.com.

And Rutheniums are available in the UK. I have a few clients there that run them.
I knew I wasn't crazy. Mine is still running great no high speed glazing yet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am about to change my spark plugs. I did some research and the company says those are for supercharged/turbocharged cars. But those are definitely attractive.
I run them in my NA V8 and its a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Installed those on my V10 and I thought I felt a difference. My nearly 10 year old plugs were black so the engine may be running a little rich.

·
Enthusiast first, vendor second.
296 Posts
Installed those on my V10 and I thought I felt a difference. My nearly 10 year old plugs were black so the engine may be running a little rich.
You're probably just fine. You can't tell a thing from reading plugs with that many miles/years on them (unless they're fuel washed or oil fouled). In order to properly tell anything about the combustion mixture, you'd need to install a fresh set of plugs, make a run on the dyne or drag strip, then pull them and read.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
That's reassuring. My factory plugs had only 16k miles. Another thing I noticed was that the plugs were under torqued at the factory. The manual calls for 30 Nm and the plugs were maybe half.

You're probably just fine. You can't tell a thing from reading plugs with that many miles/years on them (unless they're fuel washed or oil fouled). In order to properly tell anything about the combustion mixture, you'd need to install a fresh set of plugs, make a run on the dyne or drag strip, then pull them and read.

·
296 Posts
That's not good! This is why I do my own work. Also worth making sure the gap is correct across all plugs. They're usually all over the map, even for "properly gapped" OEM plugs.

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V10 Coupe
729 Posts
Thanks to all for bringing these to my attention. After reading everyone’s endorsement for these, I ordered a set. Too bad I didn’t hear about these earlier. I just replaced all of mine with factory ones about 5,000 miles ago. The good news is they are only $150, so I pulled the trigger. I’m curious to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maybe your old sparks were bad? Otherwise spark plugs won't increase power on a modern direct injected engine. You'll get more performance by draining all of your windshield washing fluid.

I replaced young OEM plugs on a C7Z06 with "high performance" ones before because I was dealing with, what I thought was a misfire issue at the time (there was no issue - I was misinterpretting some data, at my buddy's shop. We dyno'd before and after with zero changes.

·
296 Posts
Maybe your old sparks were bad? Otherwise spark plugs won't increase power on a modern direct injected engine. You'll get more performance by draining all of your windshield washing fluid.

I replaced young OEM plugs on a C7Z06 with "high performance" ones before because I was dealing with, what I thought was a misfire issue at the time (there was no issue - I was misinterpretting some data, at my buddy's shop. We dyno'd before and after with zero changes.
I don't think anyone is claiming a hp jump, I'm certainly not. I did notice the car idled and ran smoother with them vs. the older iridium plugs. Literally never idled better. My old plugs definitely were not worn, just came across the Rutheniums and decided to give them a go.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think anyone is claiming a hp jump, I'm certainly not. I did notice the car idled and ran smoother with them vs. the older iridium plugs. Literally never idled better. My old plugs definitely were not worn, just came across the Rutheniums and decided to give them a go.
OP said "more power"

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi

Audi never tested these spark plugs in the 24-hour full load test and you install them in your expensive engines. :unsure:

Tom

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi

Audi never tested these spark plugs in the 24-hour full load test and you install them in your expensive engines. :unsure:

Tom
I understand your logic with this but spark plugs are very simple in function - as long as you're getting spark and combustion without misfire and you're not switching to copper plug from wish, you shouldn't have any problems. I just wouldn't overspend on plugs but I've overspent on a ton of other things so I'm not judging.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Actually, there can be issues if you get the heat range of spark plugs wrong. Too cold and they can foul up, too hot and you run the risk of burning holes in your pistons.

Reactions: NYG

·
296 Posts
The NGK is listed as an OE replacement. Same heat range. Do check the gaps prior to installing, they can be all over the place.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts