Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’m trying to find out some information about my car and if this is a common issue

My R8 caught fire yesterday when I was driving. I had only been driving it for 20min.

It had recently been serviced by Audi.

Any information would be great.

Thank you.
Plant Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
513 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear about this and see the aftermath. Glad you are safe.

I’ve heard of fires related to the coolant tank breaking along the seam. There was a recall to install a metal band around the seam. Did you notice any fog on the inside rear hatch?

Other than that issue, I’m not aware of this being common. How do you just filled up with fuel? What service was just completed?

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What year and engine is your car?

I’ve heard of fires related to the coolant tank breaking along the seam. There was a recall to install a metal band around the seam. Did you notice any fog on the inside rear hatch?

Other than that issue, I’m not aware of this being common. How do you just filled up with fuel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Other than that issue, I’m not aware of this being common. How do you just filled up with fuel?
Thank you for your message and the information. I’m going to check on that information you have provided. My car is a coupe 5.2 FSI V10 RTRONIC - model 42202B/10

I didn’t notice anything. No I hadn’t filled
up.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
513 Posts
What service had just been completed?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yeah my guess would be the coolant tank blowing up all over the exhaust manifold and catching fire that way. Sorry to see, glad no-one was hurt (physically)..

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
143 Posts
Sorry to hear and see this. I'm sure you can still sell the doors, door inserts and some interior along with the front end, discs, alloys brakes etc.

I always carry a fire extinguisher in my car. I'd be interested to know when the cause of yours is found. I have a 2010 V10 too.

There's always a positive In every bad situation. I hope you find it and possibly upgrade to something just as good.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We’re all sorry to hear about this dramatic event.
Can someone explain how a coolant tank failure can lead to an engine bay fire.
Basically the coolant tank ruptures and spills coolant onto the exhaust manifold which is over 1000F, this flash heat process causes the glycol vapor and droplets to create an ignitable mixture

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
That is terrible. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
699 Posts
wow holy crap...that must be traumatic. I am glad u are ok. Not aware of such issues as common on the r8...catching fire usually has to be with leaking fuel onto the exhaust system

·
Registered
259 Posts
Craigslist be like: Just needs new window tints.

But in all seriousness, I'm glad you are ok. Please let us know what service you had done. I'm taking mine in for 30k service tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Glad you're OK - wow.

I can't say I've seen many R8 fires - but there have been at least a handful I recall over the years. One, in particular, several years back, convinced me to get an extinguisher in the car - not guaranteed to save anything, but gives you the best chance to escape unharmed if necessary.

I know coolant tanks have exploded on many an-R8, but like @kiryu I tend to think of engine bay fires as fuel-related. Let us know the diagnosis when you learn what happened!

·
Registered
R8 GT
31 Posts

Other than that issue, I’m not aware of this being common. How do you just filled up with fuel? What service was just completed?
Where is this recall information? What is the new part number of updated part?

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
513 Posts
You can search forum for recall details.

The coolant tank is the same part. They just installed a metal band around the seam so it would be only a small leak when it fails and not a huge flow of coolant.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts