Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new 2009 R8 last week and while driving it home I noticed an intermittent dull knocking sound coming from underneath the car on the passenger side foot well at slow speeds but only when going over small road bumps. After bringing the car to the Audi dealer and a subsequent test drive - the Factory trained Audi R8 mechanic almost certainly traced the problem to a defective Front Left Shock. The Audi certified service manager (who seemed extremely competent and was a very nice guy) was actually able to get the shock to completely seize while rocking the car up and down on the lift repeatedly for :30. Not good. They called Audi about the problem and they were told although they were not aware of similar issues they recommended replacing the entire front left shock and spring unit - but unfortunately there were no replacement parts available anywhere in the US or Canada - so I should find out today if they can locate the part in Germany and have it shipped to my dealer here in the states VIP. I had to leave my car somewhat disassembled in the dealers service bay - I was not a happy camper but hopefully the repair will remedy the problem. What is most annoying is that it was a very noticeable knocking sound - how it past the Audi road test in Germany before shipping the car stateside escapes me - and how my dealer didn't notice it before releasing the car to me also troubles me - And how a Super Car like this can be sold in the states without any parts support is also disturbing. One would think at least one part for each part of the car should be available for repairs and situations like these - but go figure. Has anyone else here had a similar problem with a knocking sound and defective shock - curious to know ?

·
Registered
943 Posts
This is unsettling for me. About a week ago I heard two dull knocks underneath but never heard them again. Was when going very slow in a parking lot. Hm. Time to go test.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Has anyone else here had a similar problem with a knocking sound and defective shock - curious to know ?
Not quite the same problem, but two hours after taking delivery of my R8, a suspension system warning light came on. The front right shock had a bad solenoid and had to be replaced. (Over the first two months of ownership, I had two other sensor failures in the engine and brake system.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would be upset if a car I purchased brand new had a problem right after delivery. Do any of you regret buying the R8 for this reason? It seems like there's a lot of problems associated with it already; such as aforementioned suspension problems, sideblade windnoise, gas cap problems, delay during shifts, etc. This would never happen with a Japanese car. I've driven both Japanese and German cars- I've never had any problems with the former, yet the latter, there were so many issues, mainly electrical, and overheating. I guess sometimes you have to sacrifice reliability for performance, when you decide to purchase German.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
People are far more likely to take the time to find a forum and post when they have a problem rather than when everything is ok so it gives a skewed perception of the relative volume of people that are experiencing problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just wanted to follow up: After speaking the Audi Customer Service R8 Team last week, I recvd a call (several actually) from them 2 days later that my part had been located (in Germany) and would be at my local dealer here in the US this Tuesday. MY recommendation here is if anyone is having any problems with their R8 they should call The Audi R8 customer service team directly - as they seem very eager and willing to get things done. My guess is they don't want any of their R8's down - tied up at dealers due to mechanical issues and especially due to defective parts. They were extremely apologetic that my car got through the Audi testing in Germany before being shipped and then again at the dealer here in the states without the problem being noticed. I don't think they were just giving me lip service here either. I'm pretty sure some emails (memos) are going to be written to their testing facilities in Germany about my problem - so at least they will be on the look out for other possible 09 R8 defective shocks - Well, at least I'd like to think so.

·
Registered
439 Posts
People are far more likely to take the time to find a forum and post when they have a problem rather than when everything is ok so it gives a skewed perception of the relative volume of people that are experiencing problems.
Maybe. But I had a 2002 Audi A6 4.2 that had chronic electronic problems caused by the Delco Telematics chip. After numerous service visits in which Audi kept reprogramming the chip using new codes Audi kept generating to fix the problem that was occurring with all Telematics-equipped cars, I finally traded the car in on a 2003 Audi S6, being assured a fix was in place on the new models.

It, too, soon developed the same problems, only now the problem kept draining the battery. When I went out to the car each morning to drive to work, it was a crap shoot whether the car would start or not. I never went anywhere without jumper cables. Finally, I got disgusted and abandoned the brand altogether. (Meanwhile, I had taken a drubbing on two cars by trading them in after little more than a year . . . near the peak of their depreciation rates.)

When the R8 came out five years later, I simply could not resist the car and rationalized that certainly, by now, Audi would have put its electronic gremlins to bed. No such luck, it seems.

One day I was in the service waiting room of the Audi dealer waiting for yet another sensor to be installed. Another customer and I were comparing notes on our shared electronics hassles. A third customer chimed in saying, "hey, it's Audi electronics. What do you expect?"

I'm not sure my problems are all that isolated. (I also have a Mercedes SL55 which has had a similar raft of mostly electronics problems. I think this may relate to more German brands than just Audi. I have a Lexus which, though far less exciting to drive, just goes and goes and goes with nary a blip.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been driving Audis for 20 years and I also bought other brands over the years including BMW, Merc, VW, Toyota, Mazda & Honda. I was stranded 3 times, once because of a gearbox problem with the BMW, another time again a gearbox problem with the Honda and finally a drained battery with the Toyota. The Audis, in comparison, have some minor issues here and there but they were always reliable and I never have any doubts that they would leave me stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:Epilogue: My brand new 2009 R8 needs LFT Front Shock replaced

Follow up: To those that followed this thread - I picked my serviced R8 today after the faulty front left defective shock was replaced. I recvd a call from the Audi Customer Service R8 Team 10 minutes after I picked up my car - they couldn't have been nicer. My advice - if anyone has any problems with their car whatsoever - run don't walk and call the R8 Team customer service - They couldn't have been more accommodating or helpful in expediting the delivery of my replacement part and making sure the repair was done properly. Case closed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Re: Epilogue: My brand new 2009 R8 needs LFT Front Shock replaced

Follow up: To those that followed this thread - I picked my serviced R8 today after the faulty front left defective shock was replaced. I recvd a call from the Audi Customer Service R8 Team 10 minutes after I picked up my car - they couldn't have been nicer. My advice - if anyone has any problems with their car whatsoever - run don't walk and call the R8 Team customer service - They couldn't have been more accommodating or helpful in expediting the delivery of my replacement part and making sure the repair was done properly. Case closed.
How does one locate the Audi Customer Service R8 team?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts