Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven't installed it yet, because I can't get the goddamn airbag off. My buddy, who's an R8/Lambo tech has tried and tried too. Got one side uncapped, but the other won't budge. Something is jammed in there and it's not coming out as normal. He's done this dozens and dozens of times, and never had this much trouble. It's absurd. He took it to work and shoved a borescope in there to figure out what's going on... still no dice.

We'll get it... eventually. 😖

Paul.
Hey Paul, did you get this installed yet? I also bought a gen 2 steering wheel from AskCarbon but haven't installed it yet. I'm looking at the two wheels/airbags side to side and the wiring doesn't match up at all. There are some fundamental differences, like the gen 1 has two yellow plugs but the gen 2 has only one yellow plug. Also some differences with other wires such as ground wires. Not sure how this is going to be "plug and play" but waiting on some guidance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Paul, did you get this installed yet? I also bought a gen 2 steering wheel from AskCarbon but haven't installed it yet. I'm looking at the two wheels/airbags side to side and the wiring doesn't match up at all. There are some fundamental differences, like the gen 1 has two yellow plugs but the gen 2 has only one yellow plug. Also some differences with other wires such as ground wires. Not sure how this is going to be "plug and play" but waiting on some guidance.
That makes two of us. Askcarbon has been a nightmare

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Very intersted in getting the audio, horn and two accessory buttons wired (start button and the drive select). I plan on using the drive select for exhaust valves. Hoping someone here gets a viable solution before I’m ready to install.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Haven't installed it yet, because I can't get the goddamn airbag off. My buddy, who's an R8/Lambo tech has tried and tried too. Got one side uncapped, but the other won't budge. Something is jammed in there and it's not coming out as normal. He's done this dozens and dozens of times, and never had this much trouble. It's absurd. He took it to work and shoved a borescope in there to figure out what's going on... still no dice.

We'll get it... eventually. 😖

Paul.
Wondering if Paul ever got this sorted out? Frisky, did you ever get a new harness? I'm still pondering placing an order with AskCarbon for a Gen2 retrofit wheel if there aren't any issues.

·
Registered
2015 V10 Plus in Sepang Blue (Gen1)
61 Posts
Wondering if Paul ever got this sorted out? Frisky, did you ever get a new harness? I'm still pondering placing an order with AskCarbon for a Gen2 retrofit wheel if there aren't any issues.
Well I got mine sorted and I love it! AskCarbon sent me a new harness and it worked first time, flawlessly.

AskCarbon replied to me extremely quickly and sorted the harness out in a matter of days - delievered FOC straight to my door. They even provided me pictures on which wire connects where.

Airbag, Horn, Volume and Change scroll wheels works. The LED screen works amazingly well and you can customise the RPM range, colours, etc.

Speedometer White Automotive tire Light Wheel
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Speedometer Trip computer

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well I got mine sorted and I love it! AskCarbon sent me a new harness and it worked first time, flawlessly.

AskCarbon replied to me extremely quickly and sorted the harness out in a matter of days - delievered FOC straight to my door. They even provided me pictures on which wire connects where.

Airbag, Horn, Volume and Change scroll wheels works. The LED screen works amazingly well and you can customise the RPM range, colours, etc.

View attachment 274822 View attachment 274823

That is amazing. How much was that, total?

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is amazing. How much was that, total?
Oh and the backlight lights work too, also dim with the slider on the dash as the standard wheel does.

Total for my one was $2,429 - heavily optioned;

2020 R8 Steering Wheel Retrofit Package for Gen 1 R8 - Sports Shape - Gloss black carbon Fiber TOP and BOTTOM - led shift module - blue 12 o clock racing stripe - perforated leather sides with blue stitch - Lamborghini urus paddles redone in gloss black carbon with blue +/- - gloss black button trims with R8 logo on the bottom - Full Airbag Assembly with Leather Airbag with black emblems and blue stitch

·
Registered
447 Posts
Oh and the backlight lights work too, also dim with the slider on the dash as the standard wheel does.

Total for my one was $2,429 - heavily optioned;

2020 R8 Steering Wheel Retrofit Package for Gen 1 R8 - Sports Shape - Gloss black carbon Fiber TOP and BOTTOM - led shift module - blue 12 o clock racing stripe - perforated leather sides with blue stitch - Lamborghini urus paddles redone in gloss black carbon with blue +/- - gloss black button trims with R8 logo on the bottom - Full Airbag Assembly with Leather Airbag with black emblems and blue stitch
Its beautiful. What was the total turnaround time? Did you have to give them your core?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its beautiful. What was the total turnaround time? Did you have to give them your core?
Thank you. It certainly feels great in hand compared to the stock one and also my TAW Customs carbon Gen1 wheel (whcih was a bit chunkier)

I did not have to supply a core no. Turn around was 47 days to my door.

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
1,034 Posts
By the way, if anyone wants I have my OEM Steering wheel off my 17' V10 plus available for anyone who want it. All buttons included too. And paddles (but you need to use your OEM paddle plates).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts