Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine had placed an order several months ago for a pristine 09 model for list in the bay area. His car came in, I believe, this week and the dealer decided to change the pricing on him. Keep in mind, he put a hefty deposit down when he ordered the car and had docs stating list price. I say hefty because I didn't have to put anything down on my car. Hold your breath - $20,000 over list. They just told him that they could sell the car for that price, so he would need to pay that price!!! LOL Talk bout not following through with a customer!! Yeh, my buddy's pissed, but he's over it.

I'm sorry, but I have not heard anyone paying that in over a year. There's just no accountability with these dealers trying to screw consumers. Very short-sighted I must say as my friend changes cars out every 1.5 years. This dealer lost much business from him and his entire network. Fortunately, I was able to find him an '09 within hours of home. He will be making a short trip to inspect the car next weekend.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A mate was over in Miami recently and spoke to a dealer over there who said they had no problem shifting R8s for around $200k. Is Miami recession-proof?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A mate was over in Miami recently and spoke to a dealer over there who said they had no problem shifting R8s for around $200k. Is Miami recession-proof?
I think the only thing they're shifting around is their BS

·
Registered
163 Posts
it's not been over a year, because even this summer the norm was 20-30k over MSRP. Anyone getting $200k for one now is full of s***

·
Registered
96 Posts
A buddy of mine had placed an order several months ago for a pristine 09 model for list in the bay area. His car came in, I believe, this week and the dealer decided to change the pricing on him. Keep in mind, he put a hefty deposit down when he ordered the car and had docs stating list price. I say hefty because I didn't have to put anything down on my car. Hold your breath - $20,000 over list. They just told him that they could sell the car for that price, so he would need to pay that price!!! LOL Talk bout not following through with a customer!! Yeh, my buddy's pissed, but he's over it.

I'm sorry, but I have not heard anyone paying that in over a year. There's just no accountability with these dealers trying to screw consumers. Very short-sighted I must say as my friend changes cars out every 1.5 years. This dealer lost much business from him and his entire network. Fortunately, I was able to find him an '09 within hours of home. He will be making a short trip to inspect the car next weekend.
Just curious... Do you know which dealer? I got mine at Stevens Creek in San Jose back in April for MSRP. They have sold all of their customer ordered cars at MSRP as far as I know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in the ghetto of Oakland, CA - Oakland Audi. I think they're crooks, but then again I think that for most car salesmen

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
My dealer made me sign a document stating that if I sold the R8 in less than one year I had to pay them $70,000. They are determined that the R8 is not flipped immediately. I took the document to my attorney. He said it was un-amierican, but legal. If I did not sign the agreement they would not sell me my car.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine was a pretty straight forward sale. Didn't have anything like that for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a pristine one year old '08 that's been protected by clear armor and never abused. You think any of the above dealers that are having "no trouble" selling r8's for $160000 to $200000 will give me even $120000 for it? Ha, ha ha! Answer -- I doubt it. Trouble is, I don't know what fair market value is at this point due to the rarity/newness of the car. Has anyone purchased or sold a used r8 with several thousand miles? Curious as to what the transaction price was. Anyway, for me this car is a long-term keeper.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a pristine one year old '08 that's been protected by clear armor and never abused. You think any of the above dealers that are having "no trouble" selling r8's for $160000 to $200000 will give me even $120000 for it? Ha, ha ha! Answer -- I doubt it. Trouble is, I don't know what fair market value is at this point due to the rarity/newness of the car. Has anyone purchased or sold a used r8 with several thousand miles? Curious as to what the transaction price was. Anyway, for me this car is a long-term keeper.
Car salesmen tactics of course. If they could really sell the car for 200 strong, then many would take these back at over 150. Is it going to happen, absolutely not. It amazes me that car salesmen think that they could pull this over a demographic that mostly obtained the wealth by not being dumb.

·
Registered
485 Posts
this week and the dealer decided to change the pricing on him. Keep in mind, he put a hefty deposit down when he ordered the car and had docs stating list price.
Is that even legal? With all those R8 on ebay/autotarder, plus new on sitting in showroom, I am hoping for under msrp ; >

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that even legal? With all those R8 on ebay/autotarder, plus new on sitting in showroom, I am hoping for under msrp ; >
No, it's not legal and highly unethical. He put down a $11k deposit (yep, it's up there as I mentioned earlier). This dealer told him that at the time of the deposit, they were not an Audi Authorized R8 Dealer, so the initial contract for list is null and void. They did offer to split the difference half way and ONLY mark up the car for $10k instead of $20k. I offered my attorney's number to my friend, but he declined as he doesn't believe it's worth his time. Understandably. For those of you looking at buying anything, be sure to keep records. I wouldn't be surprised had my friend not have his docs that they would have made him purchase the car even for markup as he ordered it to spec.

I think at this point in the market, it is very possible that discounts may hit the New R8 car market. Many are sitting in showrooms just tacking on extras to the flooring line of these dealerships each month. They really need to move these cars.

For example, I went to look at a CLK BS today. The dealer offered me $30k off - this is for a brand spanking new '08 with only 100 miles on the odo. Now, keep in mind there aren't options you could add. The standard list price is $138k. That is nearly 22% off of list. I couldn't justify picking this car up as it was black, but the numbers sure as hell made it tempting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you make your deposit you sign a document called a Contract if you have 1/2 a brain. When your car arrives, you pay list price per the contract. It is very simple unless you are stupid enought to do otherwise.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you make your deposit you sign a document called a Contract if you have 1/2 a brain. When your car arrives, you pay list price per the contract. It is very simple unless you are stupid enought to do otherwise.
I think what it came down to for my buddy is that he didn't want to pursue a purchase with such an unethical dealer. The dealer had a contract with him, but they retracted and essentially told him that when he placed the order that the dealer themselves were not an Authorized R8 Dealer, so the contract is not in effect. They were trying to rip him off as much as possible, assuming that he would jump on it - I guess a big mistake in their assumption.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The economy, undeniably in the crapper, can still easily support demand for an R8 and I can't see a dealer discounting below MSRP. There may be an occasional car sitting in a showroom but thats one car in one showroom and not indicative of the 'norm'. Pricing is a function of supply/demand and I have to believe the supply of such a small production vehicle could never outstrip the demand... in any economy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So did the dealer give him his $11K deposit back? i have heard of some unethical dealers refusing to refund deposits.
At the moment, not yet. As I understand it, the dealer told him that the person able to issue checks will not be in til sometime this week. My guess, is they are still trying keep it as long as possible. I tried again to tell him he has the right to go after this dealer with my attorney of 12 yrs. I think that's his last resort. I personally would not have this much patience and would have handled it very differently. The dealer kept the money for such a long period and backed out of the deal last minute, which means that money could have at least went into a CD account. Hopefully things will work out for him as I've seen some dealers do some out of the world things to gain a few bucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think your friend should consult an attorney regarding this situation. Last I checked, Audi of Oakland is an authorized R8 dealer. I think they're just feeding him a bunch of lies to get him to pay the premium. I would also report the dealership to Audi of America.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think your friend should consult an attorney regarding this situation. Last I checked, Audi of Oakland is an authorized R8 dealer. I think they're just feeding him a bunch of lies to get him to pay the premium. I would also report the dealership to Audi of America.
The dealer is essentially saying that when he placed the deposit back in 2007, they were not an Authorized R8 Dealer at the time, so the contract for list is not valid. If he wants to pick up the car he ordered, he would have to pay a steep $20k markup (correction $10k now).

I agree 100% and lord knows I tried to get him to call my attorney. He just wants to get his money back and never purchase anything from that dealership ever again. I personally think he's letthing them off the hook way too easy, but hey, it's his money. These dealerships have absolutely no accountability. Baffles me that some of these car salesmen are into a quick buck and not focused on long-term business. I have my own business and that's what really is helping me survive in this economic climate - customer satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts