Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here it is all cleaned up. I spent the whole day cleaning it today. I can't get the rear glass streak free. Anybody have a suggestion on cleaning the glass?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Use lint-free cloths. Here are a few suggestions from Griot's, all of which I've used successfully:
These lint-free paper towels work very well on glass (there are many other industrial sources for similar lint-free towels).
These microfiber towels also work well on glass.
This kit works well for the lower-inside corners of the windshield.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use lint-free cloths. Here are a few suggestions from Griot's, all of which I've used successfully:
These lint-free paper towels work very well on glass (there are many other industrial sources for similar lint-free towels).
These microfiber towels also work well on glass.
This kit works well for the lower-inside corners of the windshield.
Thanks Desperado! Funny, Griot's Garage catalog came in the mail yesterday. Very difficult to clean windshield between glass and dash.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
any body know why I have problems uploading pics?
jpg uploads have a file limit of 97.7 KB on this site - your pics are all over that size.

if you changed the extension of .jpeg with an "e" you get a 195.3 KB limit which should be plenty for pics that size if you apply compression eg the first pic compressed to 90% quality is just 64k in size with no real loss of detail in the pic as you can see from the attached pic.

the car looks great - love red with dark blades.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Very nice!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want perfectly streak free glass try this: Spray a good amount of window cleaner on the glass and wipe thoroughly with a microfiber towel. Really rub it in all over. Then spray straight rubbing alcohol on the window and wipe that away with a different dry microfiber towel and you will have totally streak free glass. The key to perfect glass is in the DRYING. That's why rubbing alcohol works so well as it dries very quickly and prevents any leftover residue from streaking.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want perfectly streak free glass try this: Spray a good amount of window cleaner on the glass and wipe thoroughly with a microfiber towel. Really rub it in all over. Then spray straight rubbing alcohol on the window and wipe that away with a different dry microfiber towel and you will have totally streak free glass. The key to perfect glass is in the DRYING. That's why rubbing alcohol works so well as it dries very quickly and prevents any leftover residue from streaking.
We used the rubbing alcohol. It didn't cut down whatever is on the glass. It's a oily film on the inside of the engine compartment glass. I have some of Groits glass cleaners on the way.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
We used the rubbing alcohol. It didn't cut down whatever is on the glass. It's a oily film on the inside of the engine compartment glass. I have some of Groits glass cleaners on the way.
I have the same film on the inside. With perfectly clean, streak-free glass, every time I lower the window down part way, and leave it there, there's a line all the way across the window when I put it back up. :mad: I'm going to try cleaning the inside rubber bits that guide the window. They must have something on them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same film on the inside. With perfectly clean, streak-free glass, every time I lower the window down part way, and leave it there, there's a line all the way across the window when I put it back up. :mad: I'm going to try cleaning the inside rubber bits that guide the window. They must have something on them.
My problem is only the engine compartment glass. I'm thinking some kind of engine soot or do you think some kind of oil base from factory?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The microfiber leaves a synthetic fiber behind that shows up in bright sunlight, I use a 100% cotton towel or paper towel and a healthy dose of window cleaner.

The inside of the driver/passenger windows have what appears to be a silicone treated wiper bar on the door, leaves a line across the window when partially up or down... cleans with glass cleaner also.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
It looks like it is more likely to be a problem in the compression process, my Nikon produces 4MB picture and to get it down to 100k means some compromises...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like it is more likely to be a problem in the compression process, my Nikon produces 4MB picture and to get it down to 100k means some compromises...
I must admit I'm not very good at converting compressing etc. From what I'm told It's a combination of the camera and the user (me). I also have a Sony H.D. video camera that is also impossible to upload videos. Incorrect format errors etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts