Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be documenting my twinturbo build and would like to thank Napstar for alot of helpfull information as of now i still have some unanswered questions

any help is appreciated i still cannot figure out the crankcase vent would not want to pressurize the engine

also not sure what pump to use after the turbos drain into the drain catch can

Build details
pte 6266 x 2 v band in and out
tial 44mm wastegates
tial bov
custom air to water setup with ice tank in the frunk

IMG_8773.jpg IMG_8772.jpg IMG_8771.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can't wait to see the results. Why didn't you use the upper mounts instead of the lower rubber mounts for you kit? I usually see them hung up there. Have you mocked the space for intake and exhaust lines to the turbo? Looks like you're a little on the narrow side most of the turbos I've seen are a few more inches over above the two aluminum supports for the bumper. If you look at the posts from steepey race or underground racing they have the turbos angled as well. Just curious to know if you're moving forward with the current setup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks the bar on top holds the turbos but because of the weight its hard to position them so i added lower mounts to hold them in place for now

and as far as the turbos being out more then its very difficult to run the charge pipes i think it will be ok

·
Registered
288 Posts
looking forward to seeing the progress. I looked hard between the turbo and supercharger setup. In the end just for simplicity and fun I went with vf. What are you doing for ecu? Are you doing it yourself or having a shop do it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
always wanted to turbo the car supercharger is a great alternative

tunning will be done by a local tuner

so for oil feed i am not sure where to get it napster suggested under the oil filter housing but i am not sure i have an emply plug there on the v10

·
Registered
288 Posts
always wanted to turbo the car supercharger is a great alternative

tunning will be done by a local tuner

so for oil feed i am not sure where to get it napster suggested under the oil filter housing but i am not sure i have an emply plug there on the v10

When I was looking at going turbo I had found that it was tapped into the oil drain bolt. Not sure if that's correct but I believe I remember seeing it on a youtube video. Not sure if you've heard of Tavarish but he restored a twin turbo Gallardo on his channel that had caught on fire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For the crank case breather, you can just vent it to atmosphere, or you can add a one way check valve so it only works under vacuum and not boost. For the oil drain, you can take the oil tank out and have someone weld a bung in it and have it drain there. Same with feeding them, you can add a bung at the bottom of the tank or t-into a feed line. Plenty of options, just have to think outside to box. If you want to use one of the drain bolts, find a banjo bolt to replace it so you don't need to modify anything, then you can just use a banjo fitting to an AN fitting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome project, planning on doing this too one day!
How about picking oil from the cylinder head, might be an option somewhere.
How are you going to remove the cats, engine out? It's stated that some large companies just knock out the internals without removing the engine. I guess this could be done if you pressurize the cylinder with open exhaust valves.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys thanks for the help i am sure someone who installed turbos or supercharger knows where the oil feed is

and cats i gutted them was the biggest pain in the ass took about 5-6 i drilled them chizzeled and hammered away lol never want to do it again.

here is a video of a start up right after keep in mind i kept vacuuming during the processes every 5 minutes

process of removing everything

IMG_8086.jpg
IMG_8088.jpg
IMG_8089.jpg
IMG_8096.jpg
IMG_8097.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys so i am having a small issue i cannot understand

the plan is to drain with a 10an from both turbos into a oil catch can and then from the catch can i want to drain into the oil pan the question is does the can need to be vented to remove vacuum ? if so how would a vented can affect the dry pump system?

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey guys so i am having a small issue i cannot understand

the plan is to drain with a 10an from both turbos into a oil catch can and then from the catch can i want to drain into the oil pan the question is does the can need to be vented to remove vacuum ? if so how would a vented can affect the dry pump system?
Catch cans are usually used for blow by and PCV so i would wonder why you wanted to introduce one in between the drains and the sump? also this adds another complexity to the gravity return aspect to the sump. I would want to test the pressure in the sump to see what vacuum is present in there and work it out from there.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts