Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of making the pilgrimage over there at the end of July. Well stopping there on the way from the UK to Berlin.

Has anybody been over there? And can they rate the experience etc.. any tips?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Only on 2 wheels, amazing experience and there are some seriously fast drivers and riders on the track, as a novice... use your mirrors..... A LOT.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only on 2 wheels, amazing experience and there are some seriously fast drivers and riders on the track, as a novice... use your mirrors..... A LOT.
Yeah I have been looking at videos online and it seems like there is potential for serious issues!
My concern with the R8 is that it's not going to be the fastest car on the track, nor will it be the slowest, so I think it should mean I'll be passing cars / letting cars passed quite a bit. Basically amongst the action.. could be 'interesting' at times I think!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I've been maybe 12 times, though not in the R8 yet. Hopefully changing that later in the year.

I love it, if I could find a way to live there, I would. It's an amazing circuit, but must be treated with respect.

Read the rules, keep an eye on your mirrors, leave the ego at home.

And.... go for steak in the Pistenklause!

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I'd love to experience it one day. I've maybe watched one too many "accidents at the ring" videos on YouTube... though I don't think it would keep me from doing it! :) Must be an amazing experience! Have fun and share some photos.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I'd love to experience it one day. I've maybe watched one too many "accidents at the ring" videos on YouTube... though I don't think it would keep me from doing it! :) Must be an amazing experience! Have fun and share some photos.
You've probably seen plenty of YouTube videos of "You think you're fast" well at the 'ring you'll see it for real, all the exotics being overtaken by superior drivers/riders using machinery that we would consider rubbish, definitely a place to have your ego destroyed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
In case anyone missed this. 2nd fastest time ever, and tops for an electric. That whine makes me want to stab my ears out though. Also, he doesn’t have near as much torque on the back straight as he does at the beginning of the lap.

Battery doesn’t keep it as consistent as combustion engine I’m guessing. Or tires.
He could have gone under 6 min had he kept his speed higher on that straight.

But **** that is lightning quick compared to the videos you watch of people driving the Ring.

https://youtu.be/c3w3fVS-SgQ

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
In case anyone missed this. 2nd fastest time ever, and tops for an electric. That whine makes me want to stab my ears out though. Also, he doesn’t have near as much torque on the back straight as he does at the beginning of the lap.

Battery doesn’t keep it as consistent as combustion engine I’m guessing. Or tires.
He could have gone under 6 min had he kept his speed higher on that straight.

But **** that is lightning quick compared to the videos you watch of people driving the Ring.

https://youtu.be/c3w3fVS-SgQ
Impressive - but yes, the whine is hideous, and clearly it was limited in the straights... topped at 245 - 250 km/h.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Now they just need to make a fully autonomous EV doing the Ring breaking all records! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aiming to do this trip in the 3rd week of September! Pretty Excited! Just getting a few more bits on the car sorted first, most importantly now the PS4S all round (going for the 245/305 set-up).

I'm wondering if the mag ride in sport mode will be suited to the ring.... has anybody got experience of driving on there with this setting on?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Driving on a German highway without a speed limit is enough for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to the ring for the first time in April, not in the R8 though - in my TT track car, with a group of friends.

It was epic, but has to be said - pretty nerve wracking at first!!

A few suggestions:

1. Get tuition - we paid a local tutor for the day and shared his time. This was invaluable

2. Try to do a trackday rather than a tourist day. Much less traffic to contend with

3. It’s a long old track - I wish I was more familiar with the layout before arriving. Friends that had spent a good amount of time learning the layout on PS4/Xbox seemed to benefit from that investment of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
I went a few years back in a Z4M coupe. Was quite a bit of trepidation in the group even though many had done a lot of laps there before. One newbie did a lap the evening before and refused to do another on the day...!

I went as a passenger to begin with, which I'd recommend, although the driver I was with almost crashed twice on that lap (!). As said, if you can get to know the track via youtube or games I'd do that as there are some bizarre sections which you don't expect. Get your tyres warmed up too, and at the end try and let the car and brakes cool down. If you just buy one lap you have to come off on the long straight so you can't go for serious speed long that straight, if you have two laps you can get some real speed along there. I treated it like a fast B road rather than a track and I enjoyed it. Regardless of what car you're in leave your ego at home, move over for any faster cars be they **** boxes or not: some people in £500 cars can seriously drive!

And as DaveL says, enjoy that hot stone steak afterwards!! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all, some great tips and thoughts. My friend is currently practising like mad on GTA on his PlayStation!

My question about mag ride settings on the ring is still something I'd be interested to hear about if anybody has some experIence with that.

And yes, will try and get some photos / videos of it all!

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aiming to do this trip in the 3rd week of September! Pretty Excited! Just getting a few more bits on the car sorted first, most importantly now the PS4S all round (going for the 245/305 set-up).
A few suggestions:

1. Get tuition - we paid a local tutor for the day and shared his time. This was invaluable

2. Try to do a trackday rather than a tourist day. Much less traffic to contend with

3. It’s a long old track - I wish I was more familiar with the layout before arriving. Friends that had spent a good amount of time learning the layout on PS4/Xbox seemed to benefit from that investment of time
I’m headed to the Nürburgring with a friend on 14th September, will be hiring a car and instructor from Apex. Really looking forward to it!

Driving on a German highway without a speed limit is enough for me.
Autobahn is fun but there’s always traffic to deal with. Anyone doing this has to be really focused on what they’re doing and be able to anticipate normal traffic pulling out into the fast lane at any time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks all, some great tips and thoughts. My friend is currently practising like mad on GTA on his PlayStation!

My question about mag ride settings on the ring is still something I'd be interested to hear about if anybody has some experIence with that.

And yes, will try and get some photos / videos of it all!

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
If your friend is preparing by playing Grand Theft Auto rather than Gran Turismo, do not get in his car.....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts