Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help. I have a 2012 R8 V10 spyder and I am looking to swap out the "1/2 egg shaped" cover over the instrument cluster. This is the small cover immediately over the instruments cluster and not the driver's side long and thin swoosh trim. I read that the swoosh trim is brutal to swap out. My question is, how do you remove this cover? Do you need to take out the instrument cluster and access it from below?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
AFAIK it requires the complete instrument panel to be removed. Not a job for the faint hearted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Removing the binacle / cluster itself is ridiculously quick and easy - just pull out the trim panel at the bottom and then it's 2 screws and it slides out.
Once done you can have a look at the cover better and how it is secured
The problem is it seems to be secured by a fixing that is well into the dash - I'd bet this is where the compexity and number of things you have to remove comes in to play

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I’ve heard before the entire dash has to come out. Hopefully not the case as I’m replacing this part too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why do you need to take it out? A decent trimmer can recover it in situ
I don't believe it is the source of any reaks or rattles - these are from the cluster which is a doddle to remove & add some felt tape to

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
IF you are SUPER careful, this CAN be done without taking out the whole dash - BUT, there's a nut/bolt for this that is inserted BEFORE the dash brace so that to get to it requires a double-jointed VERY small hand, or you can drill out (recommended by Audi) a hole in the brace to get to the nut - STILL a challenge btw...

Also - I agree with jakesmith : a decent trimmer can fix in situ -

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Definitely fix it in situ. Taking out the cowl and instrument panel will risk rattles and squeaks if put back wrong. The location of the fix is so accessible there's really no justifiable reason to risk removal. 🤔

1 - 9 of 9 Posts