Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay...lots of confusion here so I'm hoping someone can clarify for me.
I have a 2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder

Stock wheels are 20x8.5 with a 42 offset in the front and 20x11 with a 50 offset in the rear.
I am lowered on H&R Adjustable Springs and I am running 15mm spacer in the rear and 12mm spacer in the front.

So that brings my current setup to 20x8.5 with a 30 offset and 20x11 with a 35 offset.
I am looking at aftermarket wheels in a 20/21 setup.

I am being told to run a 20x9 front with a 25mm offset and 21x12 rear with a 35 offset.
However, a quick online calculation suggests that this new set up would mean the front wheel will stick out 11.4mm more than my current setup (with my 12mm spacer) and the rear would stick out 12.7mm more than my current setup (with the 15mm spacer).
Which seems super aggressive to me...I mean that would be the equivalent to running a 24mm spacer on the stock front wheel and a 27mm spacer in the rear.

Is my calculation wrong?

UPDATE:

Ended up with the following setup:

Front Wheel:
20x9 +27 offset
Front Tire:
255/30/20

Rear Wheel:
21x12 +35 offset
Rear Tire:
325/25/21

Fitment is pretty much perfect although I do rub slightly here and there.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is calculated with my spacers on the factory wheels...thats why the I have 35 offset in the rear (because 50-15mm spacer = 35) and 30 offset in the front (because 42-12mm spacer = 30).

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 Plus
59 Posts
I run this set up with perfect fitment and no problems
20x9 ET30 245/30/20
21x12 ET35 325/25/21

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run this set up with perfect fitment and no problems
20x9 ET30 245/30/20
21x12 ET35 325/25/21
Why year is your R8?
I know offsets are same on all gen2 But it just doesn’t make sense to me..with the 25 front offset recommendation it would be like running a 24mm spacer on the front which is basically unheard of

Also, I noticed you went with 245 30 20 i was planning to go 255 30 20. Do you think that would work if I went to a 30 offset like yours or do you think you would be rubbing with a 255 and your current set up

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2017 Plus

20x9
21x12.5

no issues. Dont know offsets
Offsets play a big role so without offsets we know nothing..

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 Plus
59 Posts
Why year is your R8?
I know offsets are same on all gen2 But it just doesn’t make sense to me..with the 25 front offset recommendation it would be like running a 24mm spacer on the front which is basically unheard of

Also, I noticed you went with 245 30 20 i was planning to go 255 30 20. Do you think that would work if I went to a 30 offset like yours or do you think you would be rubbing with a 255 and your current set up
Mine is a 2017, I went with the tires signature forged recommended and it works good. I would be concerned with rubbing on turns with a 255 up front but I am not a expert when it comes to off sets.

·
Registered
17 V10 Plus
113 Posts
Offsets play a big role so without offsets we know nothing..
You know I have no issues. How about calling a reputable wheel company like Signature, Vossen or whomever and let them tell you what works vs way way overthinking this and giving us everything but relative humidity and planetary axis tilt in your offset assumptions. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know I have no issues. How about calling a reputable wheel company like Signature, Vossen or whomever and let them tell you what works vs way way overthinking this and giving us everything but relative humidity and planetary axis tilt in your offset assumptions. 🤷‍♂️
How about not saying anything at all if you have nothing to contribute.

But to answer your question, the wheel company I’m dealing with has given me offsets however I know enough about offsets to know that they are super aggressive. So I’m trying to gather information from others to see what they have, that is the purpose of this forum after all isn’t it?

Reactions: WaterFish

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ask them to guarantee the fitment based on their experience. If they are confident they should have no problem in doing so. This is something I always do when going up in diameter or widths.

·
Registered
'20 Kemora Gray R8 Performance
194 Posts
Here's what I've gathered but please verify with the "experts" first.
I believe that the stock wheels are 20x9 (ET: 42) & 20x11 (ET: 47). If you have 12mm wheel spacers and that's the look you want, the offset would be 30 & 35 respectively (without the wheel spacers). I've read somewhere that an offset of 28-35 (again, without wheel spacers) on the Gen II works well. This can be applied also for a 21", assuming that the offset and wheel width are the same as the 20".
Folks on Rennlist seem to be happy with Custom Wheels and Performance Parts | Wheels Boutique. They can answer any questions you have regarding wheels. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
17 V10 Plus
113 Posts
How about not saying anything at all if you have nothing to contribute.

But to answer your question, the wheel company I’m dealing with has given me offsets however I know enough about offsets to know that they are super aggressive. So I’m trying to gather information from others to see what they have, that is the purpose of this forum after all isn’t it?
My input was that you could run the sizes and widths I have with no issue; which is what you asked.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why year is your R8?

Not sure of your baseline but most are indicating an ET30, not 25 which would push the wheels outward 17mm

Still, I agree that the aftermarkets seem aggressive with that 17mm outward push, but they all seem to spec the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ran the same spacers on my stock 20". I can't imagine another 12mm to be honest.
I ended up going with FI-R - I know they're going to be a bit too conservative in the front, and may add spacers to it.

I used this thread in the past to get an idea of max fitment. He's running an 8.5 ET35, with a 255 which will translate to what you're looking for, but he is running a track alignment. It does look like he can fit 10mm under there, but I am not sure how much his alignment plays into his fitment. Your current setup is 5mm more aggressive, which seems reasonable IMO. You can always add spacers to fine tune.

Also clarify which tire's they're recommending. I spec'd a set of custom wheels for a 488, and decided to go Michelin PS4S instead of Pirelli. They ended up super stretched looking which I did not expect! HRE later said that their test car ran Pirelli which looked much better / full sidewalls.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey fuckstick. My input was that you could run the sizes and widths I have with no issue; which is what you asked. So **** off.
First off, relax! Who name calls on a forum? What are you 17?

You obviously don’t have any understanding of how wheels work. You didn’t know offsets, so how could I run your setup? Telling me you have 20x9 and 21x12.5 doesn’t help at all. Offsets are the most important part and you’re missing them.

thanks anyways!

·
Registered
17 V10 Plus
113 Posts
17 going on 54. I know how wheels and offsets work. I just dont have the offsets from the 20/21 combo I got from Signature. My point was that you could go 12.5 rear like I did.

I retract my “F Bombs”

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a set being spec'd by AL13. I went with a stock width front so I didn't have to purchase a new set of front tires. And as long as they are flush to the fender, they are gonna look and drive like a 255.

Spec is 20x8.5 et 24 21x12 et 26

12" is better for a 325 tire. you can stretch a 325 onto a 12.5" wheel, but I would just ask why? Again, flush to the fender and I struggle to wonder why the larger spec when its not optimal for a 325, which is going to match OEM diameter correctly for rotation/correct speedo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Running 12x21" ET36 with 325/25 P-Zero and 9x20" ET34 on 245/30 P-Zero, OEM height, not lowered. Zero issues. My 20" setup includes 8.5x20 ET25 with 245/30 Pilot 4S fronts and it rubs slightly on full turn.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts