Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, first post so forgive me if this subject has been done to death.
Three months ago i left a deposit on a v12 diesel at my local Audi dealer (Hitchin) , since then i've heard nothing from them but many other sources have pointed at the v12 staying a concept, i'd be nearly as happy with a v10 petrol so should i just swap my deposit over?
I don't mind waiting 24-30 months for the v12 but am i right in thinking it'll never come?
And also leaving a depoisit on a v10 now will that get me higher up the que? even though it's not in production yet?
thanks and hopefully hear from you soon.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Since you have paid your dealer, ask him to switch the deposit over to the V10.

Whether you pay a deposit (or not) and how much you pay (or not) will not change your place in the queue for potential future production.

All that matters is the date you "expressed interest" in the V10, and that is the date the dealer passes to Audi UK, who formulate the unofficial list for when production is announced.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't know how your dealer does it, but I'm pretty sure most just put you in line for an R8, not any specific model. If you put a deposit on a v8, when your tme comes, I'm sure they'll ask if you want the v8 or the v10. I don't think they have separate lists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, just been into Audi Hitchin to enquire about the whole thing and they've phoned Audi uk who have said nothing has changed as far as the V12 is concerned, it's always been a concept but they are hoping to make it a production car!
I've seen a lot of blogs and threads about the death of the v12 but all i can do is hope.
As far as my place in the que is concerned i'm logged on at Audi UK as wanting a v12 and i'm not in a v8 que.
Any other news please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
WED,

The situation different between R8 V8 (in full production) and R10 V10 (not announced).

If you put your name down for a V8, you join the production queue. If you go for the V10 or V12 diesel, you go into the "concept" queue.

My original "order" and deposit was for two R8's. Once V8 production was announced, I was able to split this for one production V8 and hold over the deposit for a future concept model [V10].

You can "move" your expression of interest betwen future models, but not to current production, where you would simply join the queue as at that day.

Congratulations James, but one must ask, what's the reason for diesel ?? Diesel is 10% more expensive than petrol, cancelling out the diesel's greater efficiency. I also expect it to be heavier than the V10, and we know from the concept that the engine is bigger, giving a smaller passenger compartment.

If fuel efficiency is the game, I would like to see an LPG conversion on the V8. Quite feasible to do, and LPG is half the price of petrol........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LPG is not for me, there is a reason why lpg hasn't taken off and it would be painful for me to lpg anything.
Reason for a v12 (not a possible v8 diesel) is to have something new, something different, the drive would be so effortless and the mid range would be amazing.
I've had some very nice cars in the past and own supercars now, i have a lp560 coming in Oct and a Nissan GTR coming in May 09 but the V12 really hits the spot, a new bred of supercar maybe upon us and i want to experience it first hand.
I drove a R8 last year and apart from the power it was all i could ask for in a supercar, amazing, bring on somemore power!!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
WED,

The situation different between R8 V8 (in full production) and R10 V10 (not announced).

If you put your name down for a V8, you join the production queue. If you go for the V10 or V12 diesel, you go into the "concept" queue.

My original "order" and deposit was for two R8's. Once V8 production was announced, I was able to split this for one production V8 and hold over the deposit for a future concept model [V10].

You can "move" your expression of interest betwen future models, but not to current production, where you would simply join the queue as at that day.
You only join the production queue when it's your turn. Every single deposit isn't in that queue. They don't even submit your spec until about 6-8 weeks before you get the car. All Audi knows before then is that you have interest in the R8 and they send you that worthless letter. The dealer is getting that car regardless of whose name is on that list and if you don't want it yet, they will sell it to the next guy and give you an option to buy the next.

Dealers get allocation before customers. When and what car you receive is decided by the dealer, not Audi. It's logical for the dealer to allocate cars in the order in which the customers placed deposits, but when they get allocation for an R8, they can sell it to the next guy on the list, regardless of which he expressed interest in before.

The V10 is most likely going to be an option on the car, not a different model, like having a choice of transmissions. If you recall, a poster just mentioned that he had a meeting with his dealer and was told that most of future production was going to be V10's, though V8's won't be discontinued. If they can turn out 30 cars a day, they don't care if they are v8's or v10's, because their only constraint is time. If they can sell more expensive cars, they will.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Unfortunately, as we know, US customers don't get a particularly good service on this from US dealers or AoA.

Audi UK do fair better, and they have a more active interest in the customer. It is not true (in the UK) to say that dealers get an allocation as can do as they wish with it.

They are required to forward details of the customer interest to Audi UK, who decide on allocation (number of cars per dealership) and also when the cars are supplied.

Audi UK's stated policy is to try to complete orders in chronological order whenever possible. They also have a database of all customers (by name, not by dealer order) and expressions of interest. This database is the used used to invite customers to the launch parties, special events etc.

Also, if a customer cancels, the car is supposed to revert to Audi UK and it is cancelled off that dealers order. It is not possible for the buyer to "sell" the order to someone else who them registers the car. Dealers must register the car in the name of the ordering customer. The dealer is in serious trouble with Audi if he doesn't do that.

Whilst there are issues in the UK, as with any area, I have to say that Audi UK try to be as fair as possble and as accomodating as possible. I can tell you this from personal experience.

It is a shame that in the US, dealers are free to cancel orders and sell cars at any price they choose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts