Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dears,

I always showed interest on the R8 specially on the latest versions, I found an Audi R8 model year of 2012 V10 with Automatic gear shift and had walked 60,000km with a price of 31k dollars
I am based in GCC and Audi R8 aren't really wanted here so I am afraid when reselling again. Also, I asked few people on the car and their answer was "since it is kinda old almost 8 years now it will start open her mouth to many unexpected issues and problems as the Audi agency policy here don't offer warranties on old cars". So I should be ready to unexpected issues which maybe coming.
What I know is the previous owner of the car had 1 accident in the front in 2014, his driving was clean and he really likes his car. as clear from the service history that there are no issues on for the car all the time.
I went to inspect the car in Audi service and the car was really clean (only breaks needs to be changed)

I am really confused, Should I look for BMW 440i 2018+ with the same price as I am not going to suffer with really expensive parts and enjoy a high tech of 2018 car standards or should I buy the R8? I really want to hear your experiences and advice which will help me taking decision. I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So coming from a long term fan of an r8
My first question to you would be have you driven this car before ?
Reason why I ask is this gen 2008-2013 came with r tronic transmission which although is an automatic but drives like a Manual . When I initially was looking at the r8 back in 2012 I rented one for the weekend and drove it (absolutely hated the r tronic gearbox )
Some people like it some people don’t
So first off you need to decided wether this sort of shifting is your cup of tea.
If you don’t like this type of gearbox your better off looking at the 2014 and upwards models which came in the Dual clutch s tronic gearbox (much smoother )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

One is a mid-engine kind-of exotic v10 quadro and the other is a common 4/6 cylnder RWS Twin Turbo. They both have 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and wind screens. The commonality between them stops at that. They drive, behave, sound differently.

At the end, your choice depends on your expectations
  • We all agree, the car has to be fun to drive.
  • For some of us, nothing gets close to having a v10.
  • For some of us, speed is the king.
  • For some of us, being able to drive it everyday is the real deal (i.e. car should not break as much as a Ferrari, McLaren)
  • And yet, for some of us, the car should be under factory warranty.
Most of us in this board find the R8 checks all the above with certain sacrifices. Whatever your reasons for buying the R8 are, I can guaranty you, if an MY12 R8 V10 were the same price as MY18 M4, everyone in this board would buy another R8 as a spare one (I checked, M4 prices start from low $40Ks...)

However, if your priority is having the piece of mind, you should but an M4 with warranty. It too is fun to drive. It is just a different fun...

PS
Having said that, BMWs break too. My M6's idle time actuators and DSC pump gave up in the same week. Dealer quoted me over $11K to fix it. I ended up taking the DSC out and getting it fixed in a shop in Minnesota, and replacing the actuators myself. That is; prepare yourself, fixing M* cars costs more than other BMWs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So coming from a long term fan of an r8
My first question to you would be have you driven this car before ?
Reason why I ask is this gen 2008-2013 came with r tronic transmission which although is an automatic but drives like a Manual . When I initially was looking at the r8 back in 2012 I rented one for the weekend and drove it (absolutely hated the r tronic gearbox )
Some people like it some people don’t
So first off you need to decided wether this sort of shifting is your cup of tea.
If you don’t like this type of gearbox your better off looking at the 2014 and upwards models which came in the Dual clutch s tronic gearbox (much smoother )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tested drive the Audi R8 2017 year and this one above, actually driving 2017 is much much better although this one is also nice in terms of driving and exterior shape, but the fact that the car is old and has old design, old sound system, you connect bluetooth without music streaming, (it's like you feel it is to old for 2020) this idea kinda bothering.
Why I am considering BMW 440i coupe as a second option, first of all I like the car (interior and exterior) + Will find new ones with good deals, although It is not fast and attractive as the R8 but in the end it is overall rating and comparison between both cars

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

One is a mid-engine kind-of exotic v10 quadro and the other is a common 4/6 cylnder RWS Twin Turbo. They both have 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and wind screens. The commonality between them stops at that. They drive, behave, sound differently.

At the end, your choice depends on your expectations
  • We all agree, the car has to be fun to drive.
  • For some of us, nothing gets close to having a v10.
  • For some of us, speed is the king.
  • For some of us, being able to drive it everyday is the real deal (i.e. car should not break as much as a Ferrari, McLaren)
  • And yet, for some of us, the car should be under factory warranty.
Most of us in this board find the R8 checks all the above with certain sacrifices. Whatever your reasons for buying the R8 are, I can guaranty you, if an MY12 R8 V10 were the same price as MY18 M4, everyone in this board would buy another R8 as a spare one (I checked, M4 prices start from low $40Ks...)

However, if your priority is having the piece of mind, you should but an M4 with warranty. It too is fun to drive. It is just a different fun...

PS
Having said that, BMWs break too. My M6's idle time actuators and DSC pump gave up in the same week. Dealer quoted me over $11K to fix it. I ended up taking the DSC out and getting it fixed in a shop in Minnesota, and replacing the actuators myself. That is; prepare yourself, fixing M* cars costs more than other BMWs...
I Agree and deep inside I know that R8s are sexier than BMW 440i, what stops me from this R8 exactly is that I find it old to drive in 2020, plus I don't know what future problems and issues will happen due to the age + no warranty for the car. for example; Sound system, bluetooth connect with no music streaming etc..
There are positives and negatives for both cars, I tend to choose the one with more positives than their negatives.

I really thank you for your advice which helped me

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should probably not be looking at used exotics outside of warranty if you aren't a car guy and things like that worry you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts