Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's your opinion?!

Hello all,

I am about to sell my R8 V8 to get the V10. It's a matter of time before I do the switch. I am now hesitating as I came across the official pictures of the Mercedes SLS, released today.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/09/mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gullwing-in.html

I know I will get flamed for this thread in asking your opinion to compare an AMG with a R8 but I am thinking to keep my R8 V8 until the SLS is out (end of winter - spring of 2010) instead of getting the R8 V10.

What do you guys think? Honest opinion please even if you want to punch me in the face! :)

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Not a fan of the look. Has the same over bulbous nose as a Z4 does.

That said, I get this sneaky suspicion that it looks dramatically better in person.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a fan of the look. Has the same over bulbous nose as a Z4 does.

That said, I get this sneaky suspicion that it looks dramatically better in person.
Yes, it does have the Z4 look (very short back with longer front) and yes, I am pretty certain it will look drastically better in real. ;)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
IF its the gull-wing doors that turn you on, consider the R8 V10 with LAMBO SWING -UP DOOR HINGES on it, a reliable supercharger on it, and you would have a much nicer ride in my OPINION. And for a few bucks less too. :cool: Isn't this what you'd expected from me ? :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't this what you'd expected from me ? :)
Yesss it is!!! :) extravaganza at its best!

I am too tempted by the V10. I believe I will get it and see if the SLS is really that nice and worth it.

Nothing like driving the R8 fast under heavy rain; feels stable like the TGV! While the rest of the crowd slows down and lets you pass!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keep the R8 V8 and throw a supercharger on it.....
pretty hard to beat. The original R8 is destined to be a classic.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I think the SLS looks stunning! As to what you should do ???

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I think it looks like a truck, but what do I know ;-)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wrote a Thread on ths R8 vs SL63AMG look it up. Looks are personal so cant comment but R8 much much better driving machine. If what you care about is the drive go with the R8...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Could be nowderful, could be crap like the SLR (as a drivers car) so who knows.

I LOVE my R8 but I'm not so blinkered to ignore the fact that there are plenty of other wonderful machines to enjoy. That Merc interior looks like a wondeful place to be.... and gullwing doors.... YUM!!!!!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
From my reading of the released info, production models of the MB won't be available until 2011. If you can wait.......

But in the interim, the V10 will surely make you happy!

Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
Never met a Mercedes that really is a "drivers car" Sure the Black series sounds like one, but at that cost? I would try to get some seat time before making the deal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going for the R8 V10. The SLS will have to wait. It's gonna cost 250K+. I need to see it and drive it first.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Never met a Mercedes that really is a "drivers car" Sure the Black series sounds like one, but at that cost? I would try to get some seat time before making the deal.
I had the E55 AMG and I have driven the M series BMW cars and the BMW is more of a driver's car for sure. However, I simply loved the supercharged V-8 and the 500+ lb-ft of torque!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the E55 AMG and I have driven the M series BMW cars and the BMW is more of a driver's car for sure. However, I simply loved the supercharged V-8 and the 500+ lb-ft of torque!!
Yes, AMG's torque is simply dazzling. The only AMG I owned was a SLK55 but it was so much fun. Drove the SL55 supercharged, the SL63 and the SL65: unbelievable amount of power.

M series are laser precise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts