Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the list and would have a question right away. I would like to measure power on the my car (R8 5.2 Gen1 R-tronic) in real conditions. This would require switching to neutral while rolling. (e.g. from 3th gear fulltrottle, into neutral gear) and switch back into automatic while rolling? Is this possible without damaging the transmission?

Thanks for your answer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. Not sure why that would be required to measure power.
The car will be tested under real conditions (on the road) as I have technical issues with it. The performance measuring device needs to know the inertia of the car system.

·
Premium Member
4,869 Posts
This question came up a while back. Technically, it probably won't harm the transmission as I think a number of folks concluded that the transmission is probably smart enough to deal with swapping back into gear while in motion... but I don't particularly like the idea and wouldn't do it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Than
This question came up a while back. Technically, it probably won't harm the transmission as I think a number of folks concluded that the transmission is probably smart enough to deal with swapping back into gear while in motion... but I don't particularly like the idea and wouldn't do it myself.
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
I saw this come up last time, and I remember when I owned a couple of BMWs which had SMG gear boxes (BMW's single clutch automated system equivalent to R-tronic). I definitely moved in and out of neutral when the car was moving, and I sort of remember it being something I read was okay in the manual.

I thought I'd take a look at the R8 user manual and see if it gave any warning against doing this - I could only find this footnote:

It certainly doesn't seem to warn against it or suggest that you should avoid doing this, so I would assume that you're not going to cause any problems from doing it. I accept no liability though!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Remember the R-tronic is a normal 6 speed gearbox that simply has a computer controlled shift mechanism and clutch mechanism. When you shift it to neutral it's the same as when yo would shift a normal manual gearbox into neutral and engage the clutch - i.e. the pressure plate and clutch are engaged while the gearbox is in neutral. It does NOT sit there with the gearbox in any gear and the clutch disengaged, like SO many folks who drive MTs often do. This is bad behavior, and wears other bits (pilot bearing, throw-out bearing, hydraulics, etc) that don't need to be.

Anyway, the R-tronic's computer is smart enough and fast enough to make these changes when you simply ask for them. From neutral while rolling, you merely pop the lever back into a gear (or A) and the computer will check the vehicle speed, the engine speed and choose the right gear, disengage the clutch, select that gear and re-engage the clutch for an almost nicely matched shift that you may hardly recognize what happened ... off you go.

Reactions: dinkman and WiKKiD

·
Registered
307 Posts
Remember the R-tronic is a normal 6 speed gearbox that simply has a computer controlled shift mechanism and clutch mechanism. When you shift it to neutral it's the same as when yo would shift a normal manual gearbox into neutral and engage the clutch - i.e. the pressure plate and clutch are engaged while the gearbox is in neutral. It does NOT sit there with the gearbox in any gear and the clutch disengaged, like SO many folks who drive MTs often do. This is bad behavior, and wears other bits (pilot bearing, throw-out bearing, hydraulics, etc) that don't need to be.

Anyway, the R-tronic's computer is smart enough and fast enough to make these changes when you simply ask for them. From neutral while rolling, you merely pop the lever back into a gear (or A) and the computer will check the vehicle speed, the engine speed and choose the right gear, disengage the clutch, select that gear and re-engage the clutch for an almost nicely matched shift that you may hardly recognize what happened ... off you go.
huh learned a lot from that post, thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts