Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Tuesday my new 11k Launch Tech 2 post lift is coming... kind of excited. Watched all sorts of install videos and it seems pretty basic. And construction guys out there have an easy trick for making a perpendicular centerline. Yes I know I can scribe arcs on the floor and that is my default.. I was just wondering if any guys have any tricks like, "oh yeah, you can use your laser level and measure from both sides of the garage the whole way"... I just made that up, but that could work...

Anyway, just excited and apprehensive as I'll be doing it alone. I didn't get it for my R8, I got it because we're pulling the motor on his Audi A6 and I thought it would be a fun project for us to bond.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow nice, i still cant decide between single, two, four post. congrats
send pics after its installed
Just made a short video showing the floor set up for installation. It's all ready to be drilled and set in place! I hope to have it up by tomorrow night or Wed at the latest. I will shoot video too.

As far as two and four post lifts. I did a bunch of research before deciding. Here was my thoughts. I like the 4 posts for car storage, but the down side to 4 post is IF you want to actually work on your tires or suspension, you have to buy at least one sliding jack or use two (unstable) bottle jacks to lift your wheels from the lift. Sort of defeats the purpose for me.

For me, the 4 post is perfect for car storage while still being able to use garage space beneath it, weather for another car or anything else. The 2 post is more for if you are going to actually use the lift to do all sorts of work on any cars. Since we will be doing a full engine rebuild of my sons Audi A6 as well as just getting my R8 off the ground for little projects I'm working on (just being able to work on things at hip height is nice.

For my current side blade project, I've done about 1000+ up/downs which sucks at 57 yrs old! And it's not like I'm weak, I just squatted 435 two weeks ago. But bending down, laying on the floor, getting up because you forgot a tool or a bolt...etc... and doing that over and over and over again, just starts to piss me off!

Ok, Ok, I know it's immature and shows my weak character, but it is what it is and if I can make it better, I am going to... ha haahhaahah Maybe I'm just spoiled!

As far as single post. I just didn't want to dig up my garage since I JUST FINISHED IT.. ha hahaha I just finished a 2100 sq ft. garage with an upstairs office (guys who were coming to work on it thought we were building a new house).. because it sort of looks like a house, except you would notice no front door (only a back door) and three garage bays, one RV bay that is 20 ft. tall. 45 ft long. I made a video on it recently on youtube.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just made a short video showing the floor set up for installation. It's all ready to be drilled and set in place! I hope to have it up by tomorrow night or Wed at the latest. I will shoot video too.

As far as two and four post lifts. I did a bunch of research before deciding. Here was my thoughts. I like the 4 posts for car storage, but the down side to 4 post is IF you want to actually work on your tires or suspension, you have to buy at least one sliding jack or use two (unstable) bottle jacks to lift your wheels from the lift. Sort of defeats the purpose for me.

For me, the 4 post is perfect for car storage while still being able to use garage space beneath it, weather for another car or anything else. The 2 post is more for if you are going to actually use the lift to do all sorts of work on any cars. Since we will be doing a full engine rebuild of my sons Audi A6 as well as just getting my R8 off the ground for little projects I'm working on (just being able to work on things at hip height is nice.

For my current side blade project, I've done about 1000+ up/downs which sucks at 57 yrs old! And it's not like I'm weak, I just squatted 435 two weeks ago. But bending down, laying on the floor, getting up because you forgot a tool or a bolt...etc... and doing that over and over and over again, just starts to piss me off!

Ok, Ok, I know it's immature and shows my weak character, but it is what it is and if I can make it better, I am going to... ha haahhaahah Maybe I'm just spoiled!

As far as single post. I just didn't want to dig up my garage since I JUST FINISHED IT.. ha hahaha I just finished a 2100 sq ft. garage with an upstairs office (guys who were coming to work on it thought we were building a new house).. because it sort of looks like a house, except you would notice no front door (only a back door) and three garage bays, one RV bay that is 20 ft. tall. 45 ft long. I made a video on it recently on youtube.
whoa... a lot to unpack in this one reply :)

first off, 435 squat at 57?!? what the heck dude! congrats

second, totally agree on the 2 vs 4 post analysis. i kinda want the best of both worlds of storage (4 post advantage) and to work on the car (2 post advantage) and neither do both well. i especially dont like that you need to drill and permanently secure the two post into the foundation.

regarding your single post comment, not sure I fully understand what "didnt want to dig up my garage" meant. the single post lifts I was looking at are all mobile lifts on pump jacks such as XH-PSP-6000 Atlas PSP-6000 - 6,000 lb. Portable Single Post Lift
benefit there being you can move it out of the way in smaller garage like mine, lift and put mechanical locks in place for long term storage and work on a car when you need to. trouble being you have a huge beam running across the middle of hte car making any exhaust, trans, drivetrain work not possible.

I know I'm looking for a goldilocks solution that doesnt exist so what I've decided to do for now instead is to just buy another QuickJack to handle working on the car and put a roof over the outside left side of my garage for storage of a second vehicle. not perfect but gets me mostly what I need for a lot cheaper cost

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Just watched your video and a few things make more sense now... particularly the forearms that are the size of my legs :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first off, 435 squat at 57?!? what the heck dude! congrats
Well, seeing that I used to do jump squats with 405 easily at 19 yrs old... regular squats closer to 700 lbs... I was asked to be on the All ARMY powerlifting team, but exited the Army to go to college... Anyway, it feels like i just keep getting weaker. Just re-buldged my discs last week ...just regular squatting not even going heavy. I like to go real low to get the most stress on the muscle possible.. Was trained at 16 by Olympic Gold Medalist weight lifter from Cuba....so it's a 40+ year old habit.

second, totally agree on the 2 vs 4 post analysis. i kinda want the best of both worlds of storage (4 post advantage) and to work on the car (2 post advantage) and neither do both well. i especially dont like that you need to drill and permanently secure the two post into the foundation.
It's really not that big of a deal... if you decided you didn't want it, just cut off the bolts, grind them down and re-epoxy if you have that or just go slow if you just have concrete. That's my view anyway.

regarding your single post comment, not sure I fully understand what "didnt want to dig up my garage" meant. the single post lifts I was looking at are all mobile lifts on pump jacks such as XH-PSP-6000 Atlas PSP-6000 - 6,000 lb. Portable Single Post Lift
benefit there being you can move it out of the way in smaller garage like mine, lift and put mechanical locks in place for long term storage and work on a car when you need to. trouble being you have a huge beam running across the middle of hte car making any exhaust, trans, drivetrain work not possible.
I love the idea of that lift. But for the same reasons as you, I just couldn't go with it. I was thinking of the single pole lifts in a lot of shops.

I know I'm looking for a goldilocks solution that doesnt exist so what I've decided to do for now instead is to just buy another QuickJack to handle working on the car and put a roof over the outside left side of my garage for storage of a second vehicle. not perfect but gets me mostly what I need for a lot cheaper cost
Just so you know, I only paid $6k (after taxes in the Communist Peoples Republic of California) The actual price was just over $5k. Just a little more than the jack you are looking for. They also have those 9 ft. lifts with no top bar (cables covered on the floor)... you can pick those up for $4k, but you do have to still bolt them to the floor (even more so, because there is nothing at the top helping keep them from caving in on each other. (not that I've ever even heard of that happening... just thinking of physics here).

If I were you (from what you are saying) I'd get a four post and just shell out the extra for the bridge jacks: 4-Post Bridge Jacks Car Lift Accessories - Lift a Car with BendPak Products I"m not saying get a Bendpak, I wanted one, but after just a cursory review, their customer service is the absolute worst. But those brindge jacks give you the functionality of a two post lift with the storage ability of your 4 post.

I actually checked out the ability of 2 posts for storage and while you are not "supposed to" a LOT of shop owners leave cars on those lifts for a very long time. That's why I got the 11,000 pound ALI certified (means do structural defect or damage up to 1 1/2 times rated weight...in my case 16,500 lbs)... the A6 and the R8 are almost what each invidual arm is rated for. So leaving it on there doesn't seem like a stretch to me. I fully plan on leaving the A6 on it all the while the engine is out. Will probably keep it lower to keep stresses lower to the ground and it does have a thick overhead beam to keep columns from caving in.

Anyway... I seriously considered the 4 post... it's just that I wanted to be able to lift all tires off the ground at the same time, so I would have had to buy two bridge jacks...which effectively doubled the cost of the lift. I weighed that against leaving a lighter car on the 2 post lift and chose 2 post.

Also am paying $365/day for 5000 lb forklift with extended forks to get the lift out of the truck and up to my garage. I have a tractor that can ALMOST do it with forklift attachments but I've done this before with heavy equipment and almost blew out my hydraulics (I have a CT235 bobcat tractor)... Plus I bought some tools I didn't have... a LONG pry bar, magnetic level, tubes of quick set epoxy (for the bolts in the concrete), bigger torque wrench that I had (Longer handle), and 3 3/4" masonry drill bits. I'd say that whole shabang will be around $7k all said and done. You can get it installed for between $750-$1k but I"m such an anal perfectionist that I know I'd just be watching and frustrated as they cut corners for speed and ease... So I just opted to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well, seeing that I used to do jump squats with 405 easily at 19 yrs old... regular squats closer to 700 lbs... I was asked to be on the All ARMY powerlifting team, but exited the Army to go to college... Anyway, it feels like i just keep getting weaker. Just re-buldged my discs last week ...just regular squatting not even going heavy. I like to go real low to get the most stress on the muscle possible.. Was trained at 16 by Olympic Gold Medalist weight lifter from Cuba....so it's a 40+ year old habit.

It's really not that big of a deal... if you decided you didn't want it, just cut off the bolts, grind them down and re-epoxy if you have that or just go slow if you just have concrete. That's my view anyway.

I love the idea of that lift. But for the same reasons as you, I just couldn't go with it. I was thinking of the single pole lifts in a lot of shops.

Just so you know, I only paid $6k (after taxes in the Communist Peoples Republic of California) The actual price was just over $5k. Just a little more than the jack you are looking for. They also have those 9 ft. lifts with no top bar (cables covered on the floor)... you can pick those up for $4k, but you do have to still bolt them to the floor (even more so, because there is nothing at the top helping keep them from caving in on each other. (not that I've ever even heard of that happening... just thinking of physics here).

If I were you (from what you are saying) I'd get a four post and just shell out the extra for the bridge jacks: 4-Post Bridge Jacks Car Lift Accessories - Lift a Car with BendPak Products I"m not saying get a Bendpak, I wanted one, but after just a cursory review, their customer service is the absolute worst. But those brindge jacks give you the functionality of a two post lift with the storage ability of your 4 post.

I actually checked out the ability of 2 posts for storage and while you are not "supposed to" a LOT of shop owners leave cars on those lifts for a very long time. That's why I got the 11,000 pound ALI certified (means do structural defect or damage up to 1 1/2 times rated weight...in my case 16,500 lbs)... the A6 and the R8 are almost what each invidual arm is rated for. So leaving it on there doesn't seem like a stretch to me. I fully plan on leaving the A6 on it all the while the engine is out. Will probably keep it lower to keep stresses lower to the ground and it does have a thick overhead beam to keep columns from caving in.

Anyway... I seriously considered the 4 post... it's just that I wanted to be able to lift all tires off the ground at the same time, so I would have had to buy two bridge jacks...which effectively doubled the cost of the lift. I weighed that against leaving a lighter car on the 2 post lift and chose 2 post.

Also am paying $365/day for 5000 lb forklift with extended forks to get the lift out of the truck and up to my garage. I have a tractor that can ALMOST do it with forklift attachments but I've done this before with heavy equipment and almost blew out my hydraulics (I have a CT235 bobcat tractor)... Plus I bought some tools I didn't have... a LONG pry bar, magnetic level, tubes of quick set epoxy (for the bolts in the concrete), bigger torque wrench that I had (Longer handle), and 3 3/4" masonry drill bits. I'd say that whole shabang will be around $7k all said and done. You can get it installed for between $750-$1k but I"m such an anal perfectionist that I know I'd just be watching and frustrated as they cut corners for speed and ease... So I just opted to do it myself.
i really appreicate the lengthy and thoughtful response, thank you dearly. i am also humbled by your lifting prowess and background. i'm still struggling with my goals but we're in a different league/weight class so i wont elaborate! haha

i still think for now i'm going to stick with the scissor jack and carport. its on sale currently for $1300 and I dont mind getting on my back with a crawler
aside from the cost i just cant get myself to commit to something that will take up so much of the garage floor space. i built that thing including the foundation by hand last year after dealing with city zoning departments for a decade to get it approved and although i put in 14' ceiling just so i could raise a car on a lift now i cant get myself to clutter it with a lift! go figure

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i really appreicate the lengthy and thoughtful response, thank you dearly. i am also humbled by your lifting prowess and background. i'm still struggling with my goals but we're in a different league/weight class so i wont elaborate! haha

i still think for now i'm going to stick with the scissor jack and carport. its on sale currently for $1300 and I dont mind getting on my back with a crawler
aside from the cost i just cant get myself to commit to something that will take up so much of the garage floor space. i built that thing including the foundation by hand last year after dealing with city zoning departments for a decade to get it approved and although i put in 14' ceiling just so i could raise a car on a lift now i cant get myself to clutter it with a lift! go figure
h ahahahaa..... yeah, I know what you mean about the clutter. I already had my garage/shop all organized and then my son had a problem with a used car he bought....so it was pay a auto shop $5k to do it (that is what their estimate was ) or buy a lift I can use over and over again for the same money. It really doesn't clutter as much as you think though (with the open floor design). I'll be shooting video of the install. The sides of the bay it's in were already filled with equipment, so all I'm doing is shifting equipment. Most of it will go back right where it was, as the lift entrance is about as wide as actual garage door entrance. For example, I have my MillerMatic 210 welder against the wall and it will not get in the way of the lift entrance at all. (it's near the door because I like to weld outside when possible).

I just hate spending money on something and then upgrading because I feel like I lost money that way. I usually go for the best I think I need and then I never regret it.

Anyway, got the forklift, now just reviewing install instructions while I wait for the actual lift to get here.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
h ahahahaa..... yeah, I know what you mean about the clutter. I already had my garage/shop all organized and then my son had a problem with a used car he bought....so it was pay a auto shop $5k to do it (that is what their estimate was ) or buy a lift I can use over and over again for the same money. It really doesn't clutter as much as you think though (with the open floor design). I'll be shooting video of the install. The sides of the bay it's in were already filled with equipment, so all I'm doing is shifting equipment. Most of it will go back right where it was, as the lift entrance is about as wide as actual garage door entrance. For example, I have my MillerMatic 210 welder against the wall and it will not get in the way of the lift entrance at all. (it's near the door because I like to weld outside when possible).

I just hate spending money on something and then upgrading because I feel like I lost money that way. I usually go for the best I think I need and then I never regret it.

Anyway, got the forklift, now just reviewing install instructions while I wait for the actual lift to get here.
good luck with the install, keep us posted with pics when youre done!

·
Registered
14 R8 V8
196 Posts
Once you're lift is installed, you'll be a happy man.
This is my first "lift" of newly acquired R8.
Just wanted to get it up and look around.

The lift is a Rotary 2 post.
Due to garage height constraints, I can only lift cars ~ 4 feet, but I've been using it for years with good success.

Enjoy!.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Man this has been a journey... It's almost done... I'm making a video because I WISH someone would have made one for a big lift like the one I got. 11,000 lb lift... each tower is nearly 1,000 lbs. Nearly killed myself lifting it... I'll talk about it in the video.. just waiting on a brass anchor bolt... during the process, I accidentally had the nut too high on the bolt when hammering it into the concrete.. so far that when I hammered it down, I was unable to thread the nut on... so I had to hammer it into the ground below and start again... which put me one anchor bolt down. So waiting on it before the final edit of the video.

Unrelated, I'm almost done with my CAD design of the new v10 or v8 plus air scoop for when you replace stock flat side blades with the more flared version (there is about a 1 inch gap at the top that lessens as it reaches the bottom) . If you buy from Audi, you have to buy the entire assembly and it costs over $900 a side! So I decided to make my own and print it with 3D printing. It was pretty basic accept the swoop connecting the two planes.. But almost have it done. Also am making my own carbon fiber v10 side blades (gen 1). I bought a pair on ebay and they were carbon fiber (VINYL)... so I decided I'm going to make real carbon fiber ones for myself based on the ones I already have.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, she's up and we're draining oil from my son's A6. I am still editing all the footage from the lift install, but when it's finished, I'll throw it up on YouTube and then post a link below.

All I can say is wow... a HUGE amount of work...much more than I thought... I'm finding this a recurring theme in my life (h ah ahhha)... Take away (pre-video)... Have it installed unless you have a LOT of time on your hands. I ended up having to rent a fork lift for two days (not one), I had to rent a scissor-lift (to install the upper beam) try balancing +- 200 lbs while you try to align bolts 14 feet off the ground with an 8 ft ladder... (I am an official idiot).

Oh! and what if you mess up a bolt to hold the verticals??? Did that too...
... and running into rebar and into the rebar cross tie (what are the odds?!)... went through a few combo drill bits.

I'd say in the end, I spent around $1000 on install including rental equipment and miscellaneous parts and related stuff.

In the end, super pumped and happy to have gone through the fire for it. But if I had to do it again, I'd hire an installer. I actually called an installer broker (online business that finds local lift installers) and it was only $1200 but they wouldn't warranty their work. I wasn't asking to warranty the lift, just the install work if something happened because of poor or careless installation. Since they wouldn't, I didn't. But again, to do again, I'd just watch them and now that I know all the little tips and potential problems, it wouldn't be a problem.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Product

As a bonus, I included a photo of the mill/lathe table I was working on... Before you laugh at my lubricant back splash, let me explain: Metal is super expensive right now. I started this project in 2012! Moved three times since then and it took two years for me to build this shop (it's 2100 sq. ft. - three other rooms you can see here). Anyway, I had purchased the piece for the back splash but in storage and whereever, it got rusted, so instead of spending $800 (yes that's right) on a new piece, I just sanded/grinded off the rust... what I was left with turned into what I call the un-wadded paper effect... industrial chic.. ha hahah... either way, it works. I coated it with the same epoxy I used on the floor... and I used the lift to tild the table at all the right angles to radius the epoxy in the corners :) this lift is useful for so much more than just lifting cars. It's like a second pair of STRONG hands.
Property Blue Sewing machine Floor Wall
Machine tool Line Sewing machine Lathe Gas
Engineering Gas Machine Industry Composite material
Furniture Table Chair Rectangle Wood

This last one is a new design for the air intake mesh in the side blade... Turned out great, but I'm re-doing it because there are too many honeycombs for my liking and I'm making the v10 one too. (this is one of my other rooms in the shop... :)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

Reactions: cgfen and DaveL

·
Registered
97 Posts
Amazing shop! I also prefer the 2 post arrangement and use mine all the time. I’m really interested in seeing your side grille/vent designs you are making. I don’t like any of the available options more than factory. Something like you are making that matches the RS style front grille would be killer.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amazing shop! I also prefer the 2 post arrangement and use mine all the time. I’m really interested in seeing your side grille/vent designs you are making. I don’t like any of the available options more than factory. Something like you are making that matches the RS style front grille would be killer.

View attachment 266539
Your shop looks killer too! Love the windows!
As far as my grill mesh design... you better believe I'll post it when it's right... and if there is enough interest, I may consider having an injection mold set up to make them really affordable. As it is, Audi charges $900 a side, my existing design (which I am changing because I think it's too busy... needs to match the front grill as you say) but to print it is $300-$500 depending on the quality... and if I do it, I will want to make some profit (I spent a lot of time on this and this design is ridiculously hard with multiple planes, on the same section (the swooping parts). But I did it for my own R8 so if it's too expensive for others, no big deal for me. I was hoping I could make them available for much lower... but I'd have to have a LOT of interest as injection molds (especially of this type - complicated) are not cheap.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.. I"m also fabricating a cold air intake to put the actual air intake right behind the intake mesh in the side blades... :) and I'm fabricating an adapter plate for those of us doing the V8 throttle bodies to V10 throttle bodies, so you don't have to mount one sideways (to avoid hoses). I've got projects for days... ha ha ahh ah

Reactions: DaveL

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i finally pulled the trigger on a 4 post lift. i figured i can always find other ways to work on brakes/suspension but this is the easiest way for a long term storage solution. should be installed in next few weeks! i went with https://www.advantagelifts.com/products/advantage-dx-9000
Very cool... So you're going to get one of these ( 4-Post Bridge Jacks Car Lift Accessories - Lift a Car with BendPak Products ) (not necessarily that brand) ... you'll need it for brakes and suspension with a 4 post lift.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Question... how do you get your R8 on your lift, I have the lowest lift arms available and they are still too high... I specifically go them so I didn't have to use 2X6's ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts