Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 911 turbo coming will do 0-60 in 3.2 sec with PDK and launch control. Porsche is usually conservative in their numbers too, this is amazing stuff for a street car. I know the R8 V10 is in this price range, it is already severely outgunned. My R8 V10 is coming in a month, I'm thinking of getting the V8 instead. The R8 is more about handling/exotic looks, so I'm thinking of saving some money and getting V8 6 speed, and new 997 turbo with PDK. I'll get rid of my Carrera to make room. Confused - should I just keep my Carrera and get the R8 V10?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Going through the same thing. My Carrera S is ready for the next owner. I always planned to replace it with a Turbo. Then the R8 came along. Then the V10 version ruined my thinking. Now, I'm sticking with the R8 V8, but I know I'm slow, slow...

·
Registered
761 Posts
The 911 turbo could do the 0-60 in 1 sec. Still looks like a Beetle.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My R8 V10 is coming in a month, I'm thinking of getting the V8 instead.
How does that work? It's coming in a month but you're thinking to get the V8? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ditch the 997 S and get the R8 V10 and and enjoy it for a while. Then get the 991 TT when that comes out in a couple years. At least, that's what I have planned.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
The 911 turbo could do the 0-60 in 1 sec. Still looks like a Beetle.
Amen haha. One of the biggest things for me is the R8's look. Porsche has NEVER appealed to me

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
New 911 turbo coming will do 0-60 in 3.2 sec with PDK and launch control. Porsche is usually conservative in their numbers too, this is amazing stuff for a street car. I know the R8 V10 is in this price range, it is already severely outgunned. My R8 V10 is coming in a month, I'm thinking of getting the V8 instead. The R8 is more about handling/exotic looks, so I'm thinking of saving some money and getting V8 6 speed, and new 997 turbo with PDK. I'll get rid of my Carrera to make room. Confused - should I just keep my Carrera and get the R8 V10?
automakers are like Pavlov with his trained dogs: they ring the bell, you guys salivate!!:rolleyes:;);)

don't think for a minute their marketing guys aren't in colusion on this too!!

there are NO WINNERS, except the car co.'s, in the HP race, only current leaders!

pick your car for it's other qualities, because even if you're driving the "current leader", some guy with a tuner Subaru or something is going to blow you off at the stoplight or the drag strip anyway:rolleyes:

And Hovy's right, they DO look like Beetles. And watch the new R8 "spider"
because it looks to me like it's got a 911 "beetle-back," from the pics I've seen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
R8 V10 and 997.2TT PDK is the answer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HovyR8 - obviously I would have to wait a while to get the V8, but not that long. I've owned 9 Porsches and 1 Audi. The R8 is the only Audi I would consider as an alternative to a Porsche. I somehow find it easier to spend $150K or more on a Porsche than on an Audi I guess. I still have about a month and a half as of my dealer informing me when my V10 gets here.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Same here, many porsches , ONE AUDI. Restored '53 Pre-a and a TOTALLY upgraded '74 911 slant conversion still in the stable. The 74 gives the R8 a good run up to 120 mph and then it's all over.:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
HovyR8 - obviously I would have to wait a while to get the V8, but not that long. I've owned 9 Porsches and 1 Audi. The R8 is the only Audi I would consider as an alternative to a Porsche. I somehow find it easier to spend $150K or more on a Porsche than on an Audi I guess. I still have about a month and a half as of my dealer informing me when my V10 gets here.
Other than the GT's or Turbo, the Porsche resale values drop faster than any other high end car I have ever owned. I guess it has something to do with Porsche having the highest margins in the industry.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Going through the same thing. My Carrera S is ready for the next owner. I always planned to replace it with a Turbo. Then the R8 came along. Then the V10 version ruined my thinking. Now, I'm sticking with the R8 V8, but I know I'm slow, slow...
I am with you, big fan of 997 TT, but no one at Porsche could give a straight answer regarding PDK on the TT last July, I pulled my order and placed my order for the R8. 911 is much better looking car in person, but it is no way close to the visual impact of an R8. The R8 is simply striking to see on the road. On the road, the turbo will just be another 911 unless you know the 911 family pretty well. For me(HP aside), there are a lot to like about the turbo.

Because I can only afford one, the R8 is the perfect choice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Does anyone have pics of new 998?
There are some very poor spy shots if you do a search, but there isn’t much you can see. I am sure they are going to try to win back some of the R8 crowd. Try 6speedonline.com to check with the Turbo folks there

·
Registered
482 Posts
Turbo's too soft for my taste

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Funny question. I have a 911 turbo, 2004, and was wondering whether to go with a new turbo S, 0 to 60 in 2.8, yes 2.8, or a cabrio R8.
From what I read everyone loves the speed of the turbo, but they all find the R8 more fun to drive. I tried one and it's true.
I was wondering the same question whether I should keep the turbo as it is not worth very much and get a new R8.
Idea sounds good, but an extra car takes room in a garage, and will I really use the turbo once I get an R8.
However, 2.8 that is fast. Too bad the sound is the ****s even with modifications.
Almost stupid to talk about such big problems .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts