Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Game changer?

I think it all depends on the driving characteristics and the reliability of the new C8.

I do not believe if the $60K version is going to be as good as one of the exotics (I would bet it will be another Camaro like car.) OTOH, if the Z06 (or equivalent) version will be in $130K+, it’s competition should do very well (especially since C8 is a new model in its first year with a lot of unknowns.)

Still, the first C8s showing up in dealerships will go way over the MSRP...

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

I don't think it will affect the sales of Audi/Porsche/McLaren etc. Completely different price point, especially from the McLaren if we are talking those 3 brands. I also don't think it will affect the sales of Ferrari or Lamborghini, again, totally different price points. Those willing to drop $200-$300k won't even consider the C8 Vette. I plan to replace my R8 Spyder in 2 years from now, depending on my budget I would consider looking at it as the price is very attractive. But of course, that all depends on what I'm willing to spend in 2 years from now. My plan is to get into a Huracan Spyder, but we'll see how they are priced in 2 years from now and whether I am financially capable of making it happen.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I have to say I do like the car quite a bit and that it's about time that Chevy finally did this. I would now consider the Vette to be a car I would consider picking up, though I would definitely wait for the ZR1 or Z06 variant. I wouldn't go as far to say that I'd replace my R8 but I think this car is going to be an amazing car

·
Registered
235 Posts

I'm initially impressed - so much so that I now have a refundable deposit on the C8 at MSRP. We'll see as more details/pricing are released. I'm on the new GT4 wait list but with a starting price of 100k and with just a few options its easily 112k-115k. Disappointed with the new GT4 release - yes 4.0 but with the same long gears as the prior 981. Amazing how many on rennlist said they were seriously thinking of moving from the GT4 to the C8.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do I have to like it? In all honesty I dig the front, but dislike the chunky angular rear end.

·
Registered
258 Posts
if I got C8 it will for the track it is much cheaper to maintain for track usage & replacement parts with mid engine I hope it will have R8 handling that will be winner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think that he sensible thing to do is wait and see:

a) what the car actually sells for

b) how the car actually drives

At the moment we only have the info that the sales division wants the public to have. I'm not being a doom-monger but just a little bit cynical about the claims being made for this car. For example, it's not impossible to imagine the extras costing enough to take the car towards, or even beyond 911 money at which point it becomes a very different proposition.

Let's not play their game, let's just wait and see.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I plan on rolling up to the Chevy dealer in the R8 and taking a test drive, just to see how it drives.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I previously owned a 64, and currently own a 92 ZR1. I was never impressed by the C5, C6, C7, but the C8...… could be my next car.

Since I daily drive my R8, I figure it will be time to replace it in a couple of years. By that time, the hype will have died down and the dealers will not be trying to get a premium. Or I could pick up a low mile lease return. Either way, trading or selling my R8 should keep my budget intact.

I will miss the AWD though......

·
Registered
822 Posts
Not a fan of Corvettes but blimey, that is a looker. It looks phenomenal.

But.... it's $60k and $60k for a reason. Last time I looked car companies don't make cars to lose money and if it's too good to be true......

So what gives? Ride quality? Handling? Cheap parts? Bad build quality?

·
Registered
190 Posts

But.... it's $60k and $60k for a reason. Last time I looked car companies don't make cars to lose money and if it's too good to be true......

No supercar price premium. Corvettes are built in sufficient quantities to get price efficiencies. Also, $60k will be a stripped down car so expect another $15k or more in options if GM uses similar pricing strategy as previous Corvettes. As for build quality, won't be as good as R8 IMO but still better than Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts

I have to say, the price is really one of the most impressive things to me about the C8. The higher options and finishes will certainly add cost, so we should assume a decently equipped car will likely be in the $70k - $80k range, but nonetheless - what you're getting for the money looks to be very impressive.

I'm particularly surprised at the interior. There's stitched leather everywhere, along with alcantara and what appear to be other nice surfaces. It looks like an interior of a $150k+ car, if I'm honest. I'll reserve final judgment until I can touch it and see it for myself - perhaps there are quality issues? If so, they're not coming through in the pictures, and I've yet to hear that feedback in the media.

But there's no such thing as magic, so to pompeyreece's point, something somewhere needs to "give" to make the math work. GM has always provided a lot of bang for the buck, but I would have still expected this car to be $30k more, minimum, and STILL considered it a bargain. But I really am impressed here. Given the vibe of this interior and the NA V8, I can't help but feel both a bit of the 458 and LC500 coming through.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-only-chevrolet-c8-corvette-interior-any-of-1836536032

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think GM had 2 choices when moving to gen 8 vette , make 2 platforms 1 front engine and 1 mid engine or 1 platform only but keep the price around $60K . No matter how you look at this , they needed to have a vette that starts around $60K . If it started at $100K that would had a hard time selling them . I think there is a pretty big difference when it comes to buying a $60K car vs 100K car . I can't wait for the Z06 version to come out , twin turbo 4.2DOHC engine in a Z06 for around $80K would be a winner

·
Registered
773 Posts
new Corvette certainly provides an interesting value proposition
this past weekend I was in a buying mood and looked at some cars
went to a Porsche/Aston/Ferrari shop...Aston's lines, colors, paint quality were very appealing, the only Porsche that caught my eye was the GT3RS but I don't track enough for it to make sense and lastly Ferrari's were artwork; just beautiful but not useful for me as concerns over maintenance/repairs/attention/depreciation would negate the enjoyment
next was a Lambo dealer where I took out a 2017 580-2 huracan with 1300 miles- 1st time I took one out and was disappointed which I found both surprising and grateful for. If I loved it I would have bought it and then experienced buyers remorse. It was slower then my former S.C. R8 as well as my tuned AMG GT-S. More importantly it felt cheap to me. Sales Manager asked what I thought and I honestly explained that I loved the look and switchgear (I'm a pushover for aircraft style toggles and switches) but the steering wheel/paddles and over all interior felt cheap. I think that you are definitely paying for the Lambo.name versus Audi and the fact that the R8 is their Halo car versus the Huracan being the entry level Lambo. One thing the dealer was smart enough to do was they order every Lambo with the front lift system and on delivery do p.p.f. realizing the likelihood of getting most cars back on trade.
Lastly...McLaren. Was a considering a slightly used 650S from a private party so went to my most local dealer for impressions. I am always tempted my these cars given the doors/looks/performance and perceived value. New model loaded up was $330 and now available with 3,000 miles for $160. Tempting but scared of electrical /software issues and service/maintenance costs/delays. Sales manager admitted the cars are all "hit and miss" except for the 720 that has the bugs worked out. I cant enjoy a car fearing an imminent and possibly costly issue.
Bottom line...I am on the look out for a slightly used, Gen2 convertible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the c6 Z06 and C7, sold both and brought a GTR... and now the R8 v10...
All said about my past cars, the new Corvette looks stunning and practical....
It’s a dream car for anyone that ever wanted an exotic car...and the price is outrageous cheap...
I guess , once you park it next to some exotic cars, then you can tell if it can fit in...
Would I buy one, probably not...
My next car will probably be a Huracan...
I’m very happy for future Corvette C8 owner...
Two thing I do know is:
1. The c7 IMHO just became dated ...unlike the r8 Gen1..
2. ME cars won’t be as rare ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a long time sports car enthusiast from the age of 16 when I owned a 59 vette. In subsequent years I've owned about 25 vettes and Porsche altogether. Only in the last year have I had the pleasure of having an R8 with the gated trans. I always loved Corvettes for their performance and price, but they are a high production model compared to 911s and R8s and their fit and finish and interiors were never up to the German standards. But now with the new rear engine Corvette perhaps the whole equation might have changed. What remains to be seen is if the base price is real and if the car is reliable or is plagued with glitches like recent vettes had with transmission problems. Finally, if the car proves to be outstanding, what will it do to the market for other sports cars? Undoubtedly, it will probably affect it in a negative way including the value of our R8s. But as one commentator stated, this might very well be the last hurrah for large gas engine sports cars. If so, this is a great send off from the American side. After hearing about a mid-engine vette for 30 years, all I can say is - Way to go GM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At a sub-three-second 0-60 with the performance option, and the GM magnetic suspension, this thing will be a world-beater at a roughly $75K price.

Hopefully the driving experience is excellent. I'm actually considering it, and I've never been a vette fan. Respected them, never been a fan.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts