Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Been thinking about getting an Audi R8. We know that this may be the last chance to ever get a brand new one.

So my question to you is... what to do?

So far we contacted someone at a dealership here in Ontario who seems to sell many R8's. He has been helpful in talking to us and giving us some numbers, delivery dates etc. He is saying for 5 K down, we can order the car (basically approve and sign off on a deal for monthly payments etc and then give the 5 down) and he will submit an allocation in hopes of getting one. When secured he says it should be arriving march ish of 2022 (which we are fine with I am hoping it comes after April 2022 so I would be done school). Before we go in and talk to him, can someone give us advice on current MSRP reductions (If any and how to get it), should I lease then buyout or finance from the start, how and what does Audi exclusive entail and how can I make sure I get my choice in stuff and not the dealer saying not possible to much work etc.

Please let me know.

My dream spec is some kind of orange exterior and a orange/black interior.
Or a luxury one with Kemora grey exterior and tan interior...
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I sent you a PM - take a look ...

Reactions: jetfire953

·
Registered
2022 R8 RWD
232 Posts
I have some of the same questions as I try to decide if I want to build an R8. I've been against buying new because I preferred to let someone else eat the initial depreciation and I'll pick up the car as a CPO for much less. My current mindset is that I may as well buy new this time around due to the prices of pre-owned R8. It's cheaper to buy new. I figured it would be cool to build exactly what I want and get the experience of receiving a brand new car. YOLO

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have some of the same questions as I try to decide if I want to build an R8. I've been against buying new because I preferred to let someone else eat the initial depreciation and I'll pick up the car as a CPO for much less. My current mindset is that I may as well buy new this time around due to the prices of pre-owned R8. It's cheaper to buy new. I figured it would be cool to build exactly what I want and get the experience of receiving a brand new car. YOLO
99/100 i'd agree with that logic too but the r8 is the 1/100. dont feel bad at all putting an order in for a new one. 2022 is the last year of the car and they will all appreciate pretty quickly i think

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
99/100 i'd agree with that logic too but the r8 is the 1/100. dont feel bad at all putting an order in for a new one. 2022 is the last year of the car and they will all appreciate pretty quickly i think
Agreed.

I ordered my R8 new in 2014. It was the same exact situation - I knew 2015 was going to be the final year for Gen-1, and I wasn't crazy about the Gen-2. So, it was pull the trigger now to buy new. I've never regretted it. Yes, you'll pay the higher price for a new car, but I intended (and still do) to keep the car indefinitely - so I didn't care.

The benefits:

- You get EXACTLY what you want. The R8 is still a low production vehicle, so unless you get extremely lucky, or you're not too picky, it's near impossible to find the exact spec you'd want in the secondary market.

- You don't worry about the maintenance history - it's a brand new car.

- Every mile you put on the car is yours - you know exactly how it's been driven, where it's been driven, and how it's been treated.

- The condition is perfect (clearly)... no rock chips on the paint, no scratches on switchgear, no creases or wear in the leather... perfect. If you're a careful owner, you can keep it looking that way, too.

If this is your dream car, and you want it for the long haul, I think it's a no-brainer to order new. You're not going to get to order a supercar with an NA V10 shortly enough... heck, even TT V8s are disappearing from the market.

Go place that order ASAP!

·
Registered
2023 Audi R8 Performance RWD (ETA March 2023)
146 Posts
Hello Everyone,

This is a surreal post but me and my dad have been thinking about getting an Audi R8. We know that this may be the last chance to ever get a brand new one.

So my question to you is... what to do?

So far we contacted someone at a dealership here in Ontario (Windsor) who seems to sell many R8's. He has been helpful in talking to us and giving us some numbers, delivery dates etc. He is saying for 5 K down, we can order the car (basically approve and sign off on a deal for monthly payments etc and then give the 5 down) and he will submit an allocation in hopes of getting one. When secured he says it should be arriving march ish of 2022 (which we are fine with I am hoping it comes after April 2022 so I would be done school). Before we go in and talk to him, can someone give us advice on current MSRP reductions (If any and how to get it), should I lease then buyout or finance from the start, how and what does Audi exclusive entail and how can I make sure I get my choice in stuff and not the dealer saying nah not possible to much work.

Please let me know.

My dream spec is some kind of orange exterior and a orange/black interior.
Or a luxury one with Kemora grey exterior and tan interior...
Thank you!
Good luck on the search, it is definitely fun. Just started building out a 2022. Only bummer is there is no 2022 Non-Performance quattro this time around. So if you want AWD you have to go up to the performance. What trim were you considering? I will be meeting with my rep on Monday (GTA dealer) and can report back to you regarding what discounts they are willing to give on a factory order.

Agreed, also in the same boat. Officially entered the market last week (worst time ever, clearly) but obviously had my ear to the ground since last Fall. I really wanted a 14/15 Gen 1 (gated or stronic), but given the boom the last 5 months, figured it wouldn't hurt to build out a 2022 since they are basically the same price now lol. Got the rates/residuals when they released a few days ago and it's hard not to consider going the new route. Mine you there is the likely chance the Gen 1 (especially revised models) don't lose a penny from now untll this lease is done, but the thought of having brand new, with warranty is extremely tempting. Prefer the Gen to the 2017-2018, but love the 2020+ refresh.

Agreed.

I ordered my R8 new in 2014. It was the same exact situation - I knew 2015 was going to be the final year for Gen-1, and I wasn't crazy about the Gen-2. So, it was pull the trigger now to buy new. I've never regretted it. Yes, you'll pay the higher price for a new car, but I intended (and still do) to keep the car indefinitely - so I didn't care.

The benefits:

- You get EXACTLY what you want. The R8 is still a low production vehicle, so unless you get extremely lucky, or you're not too picky, it's near impossible to find the exact spec you'd want in the secondary market.

- Every mile you put on the car is yours - you know exactly how it's been driven, where it's been driven, and how it's been treated.

- The condition is perfect (clearly)... no rock chips on the paint, no scratches on switchgear, no creases or wear in the leather... perfect. If you're a careful owner, you can keep it looking that way, too.

If this is your dream car, and you want it for the long haul, I think it's a no-brainer to order new. You're not going to get to order a supercar with an NA V10 shortly enough... heck, even TT V8s are disappearing from the market.

💯 Always helpful advise from you Sir! If I was in your shoes I would never part with that 15' lol. Went to see one yesterday (14', gated, v10, spyder) and outside of it eclipsing the price of a new build, that was easily the one for me. Still mulling over which way to go.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck on the search, it is definitely fun. Just started building out a 2022. Only bummer is there is no 2022 Non-Performance quattro this time around. So if you want AWD you have to go up to the performance. What trim were you considering? I will be meeting with my rep on Monday (GTA dealer) and can report back to you regarding what discounts they are willing to give on a factory order.

Agreed, also in the same boat. Officially entered the market last week (worst time ever, clearly) but obviously had my ear to the ground since last Fall. I really wanted a 14/15 Gen 1 (gated or stronic), but given the boom the last 5 months, figured it wouldn't hurt to build out a 2022 since they are basically the same price now lol. Got the rates/residuals when they released a few days ago and it's hard not to consider going the new route. Mine you there is the likely chance the Gen 1 (especially revised models) don't lose a penny from now untll this lease is done, but the thought of having brand new, with warranty is extremely tempting. Prefer the Gen to the 2017-2018, but love the 2020+ refresh.

💯 Always helpful advise from you Sir! If I was in your shoes I would never part with that 15' lol. Went to see one yesterday (14', gated, v10, spyder) and outside of it eclipsing the price of a new build, that was easily the one for me. Still mulling over which way to go.

Henry Brother please keep me updated I intend on meeting with my guy next week as well. Let me know what specs your considering, and what dealer your going and what they say? If you want we can even both approach the guy in Windsor, reason being is the guy apparently sold many R8s, RS7 (the Windsor dealer always somehow is the first to get the new dropped cars first) and we can maybe get a discount if we bring in 2 orders together.

My spec im considering is the v10 performance (mainly for the spoiler) but I hate hate the fact that it comes with carbon ceramics. I may want to do an Audi exclusive interior however.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Henry Brother please keep me updated I intend on meeting with my guy next week as well. Let me know what specs your considering, and what dealer your going and what they say? If you want we can even both approach the guy in Windsor, reason being is the guy apparently sold many R8s, RS7 (the Windsor dealer always somehow is the first to get the new dropped cars first) and we can maybe get a discount if we bring in 2 orders together.

My spec im considering is the v10 performance (mainly for the spoiler) but I hate hate the fact that it comes with carbon ceramics. I may want to do an Audi exclusive interior however.
Sounds good will keep you posted. I have a contact I'm close with, so I promised whenever I came back to the brand (went Mercedes for a few years) it would be for this and through him as he sold me our last Audi - so I def want to honour that. All comes down to allocation anyway. Right now eyeing either the RWD Coupe or Spyder, but the lack of carbon on the RWD (blades/mirrors/engine bay) and spoiler you mentioned has me looking into the performance coupe if all can work out. Sport exhaust is standard too on the performance. I'll update you regardless though!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
... but I hate hate the fact that it comes with carbon ceramics. I may want to do an Audi exclusive interior however.
I'm quite curious why you might say this - I believe in every physical performance capability and in 99% of cost effectiveness too, Ceramic brakes on an R8 are a near necessity. Please share your perspective that is so strongly opposite.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm quite curious why you might say this - I believe in every physical performance capability and in 99% of cost effectiveness too, Ceramic brakes on an R8 are a near necessity. Please share your perspective that is so strongly opposite.
With Carbon Ceramics I know the benefit in performance and even aesthetics (little to none brake dust) but the overwhelming cost of rotors being replaced is tremendous compared to generally other performance brakes. Hence I am already dreading the day the rotor replacement service comes up :/

·
Registered
2010 V8 with 3 pedals
103 Posts
Getting an allocation slot is key. With Covid you never know with delays. As for discounts….my guess would be very minimal if any. Why? When there are shortages on parts to build any car moving forward. And there’s also someone else that will just buy it regardless of pricing. They could just sell it to someone else without discount that allocation slot. Remember at the end of the day they are a business.
I know windsor is a small market, they prob only get 1 maybe 2 allocations for an R8.

·
Registered
737 Posts
With Carbon Ceramics I know the benefit in performance and even aesthetics (little to none brake dust) but the overwhelming cost of rotors being replaced is tremendous compared to generally other performance brakes. Hence I am already dreading the day the rotor replacement service comes up :/
Checkout surface transforms on here. The benefits of carbon ceramic brakes with few of the downsides. I’ll be fitting these once my ceramics pack it in.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Getting an allocation slot is key. With Covid you never know with delays. As for discounts….my guess would be very minimal if any. Why? When there are shortages on parts to build any car moving forward. And there’s also someone else that will just buy it regardless of pricing. They could just sell it to someone else without discount that allocation slot. Remember at the end of the day they are a business.
I know windsor is a small market, they prob only get 1 maybe 2 allocations for an R8.
Ive noticed the Windsor dealer generally having many RS models, and then a couple R8 and generally they ship the R8 to the greater Toronto area because that is where the customer is.

I really hope I get the allocation through them as he said he can try, if not I may have to contact many dealerships and see what can happen.

·
Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
183 Posts
You might want to do a little more research on the life expectancy of carbon ceramic brakes. The rotors will likely last the life of the car unless you're a track rat. You'd be spending money and replacing your brakes much sooner if you had a car equipped with steel rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
++ what sideways91 says above ...

I've done a cost/benefit for RS 6 & RSQ8 : breakeven cost for the Ceramics is about 60-70K miles (2 steel brake jobs = cost of Ceramics up front), and Ceramic rotors should easily last more than 180K unless tracked (prolly still >70K for an R8) or physically damaged...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might want to do a little more research on the life expectancy of carbon ceramic brakes. The rotors will likely last the life of the car unless you're a track rat. You'd be spending money and replacing your brakes much sooner if you had a car equipped with steel rotors.
I dont even think I will ever get to 70,000 Km for the R8 LOL so I am now confidently for the ceramic brakes rather than against them!

RNLabas I have sent you a private message!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agreed.

The benefits:

Just know your reply was a huge influence on me not even attempting to look up used R8s and just going ahead and placing my order for new. No creases, the new car smell, all maintenance done by me... You and of course the help of Rnlabas (Roger).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds good will keep you posted. I have a contact I'm close with, so I promised whenever I came back to the brand (went Mercedes for a few years) it would be for this and through him as he sold me our last Audi - so I def want to honour that. All comes down to allocation anyway. Right now eyeing either the RWD Coupe or Spyder, but the lack of carbon on the RWD (blades/mirrors/engine bay) and spoiler you mentioned has me looking into the performance coupe if all can work out. Sport exhaust is standard too on the performance. I'll update you regardless though!
How did it turn out for you?
I am also considering an order of a 2022 RWD coupe given the cost of the pre-owned R8s.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How did it turn out for you?
I am also considering an order of a 2022 RWD coupe given the cost of the pre-owned R8s.
Ended up putting a deposit down on a 22 RWD Coupe a few weeks ago. Held out a bit to see what would happen with the Gen 1s but it seems like they're not coming down. Love the thought of owning a gated but just not willing to pay more on a 2012- 2015 as I would a brand new 2022 lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ended up putting a deposit down on a 22 RWD Coupe a few weeks ago. Held out a bit to see what would happen with the Gen 1s but it seems like they're not coming down. Love the though if owning a gated but just not willing to pay more on a 2012- 2015 as I would a brand new 2022 lol.
I am starting to feel a very similar way, I also generally like a newer car with its tightness and crispness over an older car. Is yours a custom order or inventory?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts