Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know many people aren't necessarily into wearing driving gloves, but I'll just say... I love them. Having worn them throughout the years owning the R8, I'll say the major benefits have been:

• Superior grip - the leather on leather gives you a nice firm grip of the wheel
  • Temperature regulation - in all but the hottest weather, the right ventilated gloves, made of proper materials, can keep your hands dry and a consistent temperature - warmer in cooler weather, and dry in the hotter months.
  • Interior protection - this is a big one that people don't tend to think about, but gloves stop your steering wheel leather getting shiny with oil and dirt, your buttons getting round oil marks where you touch them, finger nail scratches on soft materials (e.g., window switch and door handle inserts), or scratches on a metal shift knob from your rings.

It's gotten to the point that I feel somewhat naked if I don't have gloves in the R8. I've had a fantastic red leather pair since buying the R8, but they're getting a bit tired now. It was time for another pair. This time I went for a red/black mix - red on the interior/palms and black on top - plays well with my car's color scheme, I suppose. I'll likely try out a knit-back pair, as well.

The company that makes these is in Italy - The Outlierman - and specializes in "car related" accessories. Highly recommended if you're considering some driving gloves!

My original pair of all red gloves (also from The Outlierman) in the R8:

Reactions: drgmt

·
Registered
2007 AUDI R8 (GATED MANUAL)
798 Posts
digging it actually...are these the better version of dents?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’ve had Dents for years. They are also excellent gloves.

Reactions: ezmaass

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
This is one of those funny little disparities between US and UK cultures. I can fully appreciate the benefits of wearing driving gloves and regularly do so when racing, but to do so for road driving in the UK would attract so much ridicule you would need to be bullet-proof for it not to get to you. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I always wear gloves in the r8.
I use the Drive model from gaspar gloves.

Reactions: ezmaass

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
This is one of those funny little disparities between US and UK cultures. I can fully appreciate the benefits of wearing driving gloves and regularly do so when racing, but to do so for road driving in the UK would attract so much ridicule you would need to be bullet-proof for it not to get to you. :)
My Dad always said steer clear of any driver using gloves or wearing a hat!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm somewhat oblivious to others' expressions when driving, so if they're giving me a side-eye I'd never notice. :) Once upon a time I wouldn't have considered it, but now I'm a true believer!

My Dad always said steer clear of any driver using gloves or wearing a hat!
Someone I know used to say, "Watch out for the OMWAHs on the road"...

OMWAH = Old Man With A Hat :)

Reactions: Trev450 and DaveL

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Tango Red
81 Posts
I wear gloves through the winter in my DD. I do like the feel of wearing gloves while driving But only when it’s cold. I use the gloves I wear when running that have the type of fabric that allows you to use the touchscreen on your phone while wearing them.

I do feel that anyone in my elder millennial generation, driving an R8 in the summer with low cut socks & sneakers, board shorts, t shirt, trendy ball cap and shades while listening to snoop dogg army radio would look out of place wearing the fine quality gloves listed by the OP. So to each their own. Personally speaking I also find the interior of the R8 to be a very pleasing space that I prefer to touch with my own hands. If it gets oily well it’s just an excuse to head to the garage for an evening to detail the interior.

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe
46 Posts
Back, mostly with my ( at that time) driving my ‘67 Etype and ‘62 356 roadster with skinny wood wheels, I scored a few pairs of Chapal string backs, the finest driving gloves ever made.
carry a pair in the R8 today although I don’t wear them often.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I simply don't have the balls to pull up next to a hot chick while wearing driving gloves. When I'm driving my (super cool in my opinion) manual station wagon my kids constantly rag on me that I'm a middle aged man in a wagon and no chicks are going to look at me so I may as well stop staring. I can respect you guys who wear gloves as I really think that everyone should be themselves in life. I just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I simply don't have the balls to pull up next to a hot chick while wearing driving gloves. When I'm driving my (super cool in my opinion) manual station wagon my kids constantly rag on me that I'm a middle aged man in a wagon and no chicks are going to look at me so I may as well stop staring. I can respect you guys who wear gloves as I really think that everyone should be themselves in life. I just couldn't do it.
I definitely get way more looks from the ladies with the driving gloves on. They want to make eye contact all the time. It’s all about how you wear them. Gives off a superhero/mobster vibe lol

Gloves yell maturity and money. I’m told the ladies dig that :)

Wear them loud and proud fellas. Real men wear driving gloves

PS - I’m obsessive about avoiding fingerprints in my interior which has nothing to do with it lol

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I definitely get way more looks from the ladies with the driving gloves on. They want to make eye contact all the time. It’s all about how you wear them. Gives off a superhero/mobster vibe lol

PS - I’m obsessive about avoiding fingerprints in my interior which has nothing to do with it lol
Maybe that's where I've been going wrong. :LOL:

Reactions: DaveL and drgmt

·
Registered
765 Posts
I proudly wear my old school string backs and find they really improve the grip of the wheel and stick. Plus, anyone who has lived or visited Florida in the summer will know your interior will be on the scale of Chernobyl as far as heat for your wheel & gear knob goes. Add to the reasons EZ listed and what's not to love. Never been a person to worry about what others might think either. Of course lets not speak of the thousands of pro racing drivers who wear them too. (y) Granted one of the main reasons is safety but I bet they would feel naked without their gloves if asked to drive without them. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

very much agree, well said.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do feel that anyone in my elder millennial generation, driving an R8 in the summer with low cut socks & sneakers, board shorts, t shirt, trendy ball cap and shades while listening to snoop dogg army radio would look out of place wearing the fine quality gloves listed by the OP. So to each their own. Personally speaking I also find the interior of the R8 to be a very pleasing space that I prefer to touch with my own hands. If it gets oily well it’s just an excuse to head to the garage for an evening to detail the interior.
Geez, you perfectly described me haha. Minus the terrible music choice :)

It's hot and humid in Chicago for 6+ months, so my regular attire when driving my Spyder is a sleeveless T-shirt, shorts, low cut socks, ankle cut Chuck Taylors, and a baseball cap to protect my balding scalp from getting burned. I would feel like a tool wearing any kind of gloves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts