Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys- Brand new here and I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I currently own a 2007 911 Turbo modded to 575HP. I have only had it since May 1st of this year. Before the Turbo I had a 2006 M6 and before that a 2002 911 Turbo. My dealer called me on Friday and offered me an '08 R8 with 1100 miles on it for sticker! ($125k) I am a mess trying to decide what to do. I absolutely love my Turbo. I did drive a paddle shift R8 on Friday. It is truly amazing inside and out. Arguably the hottest looking car on the road today. The power was nice, felt almost exactly like my M6. The one offered to me is a six speed which I must have, so thats good. I love the "luxury supercar" aspect of it, but that makes me nervous too. My M6 was just that, and it got a bit boring for me. It was a SMG so I just never felt fully in touch with the car. The Turbo is a blast...neck snapping power, a blast around corners and it is a beautiful car also. I have to make a decision soon, and thought I'd ask owners of the R8 as I feel I'd get the most honest opinions and maybe even one or two that have owned both. I don't want to do it and regret it, although I could probably make some dough if I wanted out anytime soon! Thanks for any thoughts on my decision...Jay

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Hi Guys- Brand new here and I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I currently own a 2007 911 Turbo modded to 575HP. I have only had it since May 1st of this year. Before the Turbo I had a 2006 M6 and before that a 2002 911 Turbo. My dealer called me on Friday and offered me an '08 R8 with 1100 miles on it for sticker! ($125k) I am a mess trying to decide what to do. I absolutely love my Turbo. I did drive a paddle shift R8 on Friday. It is truly amazing inside and out. Arguably the hottest looking car on the road today. The power was nice, felt almost exactly like my M6. The one offered to me is a six speed which I must have, so thats good. I love the "luxury supercar" aspect of it, but that makes me nervous too. My M6 was just that, and it got a bit boring for me. It was a SMG so I just never felt fully in touch with the car. The Turbo is a blast...neck snapping power, a blast around corners and it is a beautiful car also. I have to make a decision soon, and thought I'd ask owners of the R8 as I feel I'd get the most honest opinions and maybe even one or two that have owned both. I don't want to do it and regret it, although I could probably make some dough if I wanted out anytime soon! Thanks for any thoughts on my decision...Jay
Is this a daily driver?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, I'd say you'd be disappointed with the power coming from a modded 997 TT, but since you've already driven it, you know what to expect. I love the R8 and wouldn't trade it for a 997TT. The R8 is definitely better handling and rides much better than the 997TT. I got mine in April and have 8200 miles on it. Drive it daily and love every second of it. I've taken it on 300 mile drives comfortable and done everything from windy country roads, to downtown Chicago. The car is incredible.

Where do you live? Is it always nice or do you have to deal with snowy winter weather? You can drive the R8 in just about anything, but there are better cars for the snow and the performance isn't really important when it's snowing.

If I were you back in April, I'd say go for it. However, at this point, I'd pass on it for now and order a V10. I'm in MI, and it snows, so there is no way I'd buy one now. If I was in the sourth, that might be a different story.

It does have one thing going for it though, regardless of where you live, what time of the year it is, or what cars are faster. And that is the fact that it is totally unique and still very rare. 911, Gallardo, F430, M's, AMG,s... whatever. All are a dime a dozen these days, while there are only about 600 R8's in the entire US.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I have a 485 HP Porsche Cayman TwinTurbo and the R8. For me the R8 has all the power I will ever want for normal hiway and street driving. The difference in passing a car or truck on a hiway, is not noticeable. The R8 is plenty FAST! The R8 platform is SO strong that it can take huge amounts of more HP without any prob. But you will almost never notice the diff in HP, unless you want to track the R8. On the street they are both WAY fast! Only on the track do I really notice the diff in power between the 485 HP Cayman TT and the R8.

My advice, trade for the R8 now. You will be maximizing the trading value of the 911TT at the best time before the used Porsche values plunge even more, due to the World economic disaster. There are MANY MANY more 911TT's in this World than Audi R8's! The value of the R8 will last for a very long time. Especially if VOW (Volkswagen/Porsche) stops the production of the R8. I would guess that after a year, you could probably trade straight out from your future used Audi R8, and get an almost completely new Porsche GT2, anytime you wanted. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having driven both the R8 and 911 turbo, I would say, go for the R8, hey I did!! cant be giving you more honest advice than that!
the 911 obviously has more power and is possibly a more exciting drive, but as far as an overall package, the R8 definitely wins in terms of looks, exclusivity, practicality/comfort, and hey, its not exactly the slowest car in the world either!! you win all round!! :) cant wait to pick mine up on sunday!! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
R8 feels more special but i asked myself the same question before. if i can have only 1 car the 997 Turbo will be the car to have. however, i liked the R8 more just because it looks much hotter & i'm not a speed racer anymore. the turbo is a lot faster than R8 but too bad i can't drive it in the city near its limit. good choice on the manual tranny. i loved mine very much & it felt like a true exotic. the turbo will be easier to live with it though since it blends in with other cars on the road than the R8. good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
ummm ask the q on 6sp or renn then u will get the opposit answer.

I am here, and my advice will be get the R8!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maybe the following will be of some use. The Turbo is clearly quicker off the line and a great car, but after trying both, I would not trade. It is quite the experience to jump right out of the Turbo and then drive the R8 right away. The level of refinement in the overall experience of the R8 is striking in a back to back comparison like that. A colleague at work (ex Porsche owner) said that the Porsche's feel more go-cart like. I think this is an exaggeration, but it does explain some of the differences in feel that the two cars have.

That said, you are asking a bunch of R8 owners for advice - we are going to be biased.

http://forums.audiworld.com/r8/msgs/12500.phtml

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you can, keep both. If not, go for the R8. It's unique and if Porsche decided to ax the R line, it'll still keep more of its value than your porsche.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input everyone! To answer the daily driver question, I will be driving an A6 as a second "winter" vehicle. I appreciate all of the different advice, it is very helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would only add that if you get any pleasure from turning heads , recieving gushing complements and bystanders drooling over your car then it has to be the R8.

If out and out hard driving is your main priority then go for the Porsche

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the consensus of the comments is right on. I test drove a 2008 997 TT before deciding on my R8 and there is no question that the Porsche is faster and offers a more visceral experience. Having said that the R8 experience seems so much more complete; it gives back whether you are cruising, driving hard, stopped at a light, and every time you approach it. Unlike any other car the R8 receives attention from car enthusiasts as well as those who couldn't tell you the difference between a Mercedes and a Mazda. Sometimes I feel like I am providing a public service simply driving the car around town as it brings smiles, thumbs up, and even shouts from the youngest children to 90 year old man driving his 1982 Oldsmobile. Simply priceless.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have an '03 996TT w/ Champion wheels and Milltek exhaust, no further chipping so only 415 hp in USA. It is quicker than my R8 (uk car) but when I get in it now it feels like "old tech" compared to the R8. And, the R8 demands more respect and universally gets smiles from people, rather than the the sneers Porsche often gets. You won't get the exhilarating acceleration but the exclusivity and cockpit feel, as well as superior handling and ability to drive closer to the edge without fear of spinning, may make up for that. It all depends how much the rush of acceleration counts vs. other attributes.

For what its worth I have my name down in the USA for the V10 R8 as I expect that will be the real car to have. I plan to sell or trade my 911TT then.
Cheers
M

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
IMAO this is one of the best threads on this forum. Well said, everyone!

My Advice: Keep 'em both!

(If you are out of garage space, I'd be glad to keep the battery up in the 911 for you. No charge, you just buy the tires... :D)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, some great comments!

Update: I'm picking up the R8 this weekend if everything falls into place with the buyer of the TT...I test drove the R8 today...I am SOLD!! That thing is UNREAL! :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey Jay - would like to hear more about your test drive impressions. Any particular aspect of the test drive or the car that clinched the decision for you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hey Jay - would like to hear more about your test drive impressions. Any particular aspect of the test drive or the car that clinched the decision for you?
I can't really pinpoint one aspect, the car is just amazing all the way around. Power is very nice...the rest of the car makes up for the power difference between the TT. Interior is so comfortable and refined. It's just so **** gorgeous, I just can't stop smiling when I'm looking at it. The Turbo does feel a bit "old" after driving the R8. Don't get me wrong, the TT is amazing, and I'd own another one in a second, and probably will. I just have to take advantage of the opportunity to own the R8 right now.
BTW, the guy interested in my TT is not 100% comitted. My dealer is offering it for $99,900, or a lease for $1699/mo for 42 mos, 0 down, 15k miles/year if anyone's interested. I have a ton of pics available.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi

I went from a 997tt into an R8 and I also had an M6 prior to the 997tt.
There are pros and cons for both so Ive listed my thoughts after owning both.

997tt

Much faster
Better gearchange (especially if you have the short shift option)
Better brakes (they have more feel,R8s are equally as powerful)
Compact dimensions and shape allow for very accurate placement.

R8

Sexier by a million miles,easily the sexiest car on the road.(Aston martins are more beautiful but the r8 is just so sexy)
Much better engine,although slower the R8 engine has no turbo lag like the 997tt and the 997tt sounds ****,the r8 sounds wonderful.
Handling wise the r8 is much better,the 997tt is grip grip grip and hard to modulate because of the lag,the R8 is far more playful.Notice the R8 has beaten the 997 on virtually every track despite being much slower in a straightline ?
Better build on the R8
Better interior in R8

The 997tt is probably the least well balanced car in the Porsche range,the gt3 is far more fun and even the base carreras sound better and have more exploitable handling.

I have driven every lambo and ferrari recently and every time I climb back into the R8 I am never dissapointed,whereas with the 997tt I drove the gallardo and felt the 997tt was really missing something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My summer car used to be a 2004 SL600 with Renntech modifications for about 600 HP and 0 to 100 MPH in about 8.5s. When I got the R8 I was very disappointed with the acceleration. There aren’t many winding roads where I live and I could actually use the acceleration of the SL passing on the highway. I considered selling the R8 early on. Now months later I’ve really turned around and appreciate the R8’s great handling. And I‘ve gotten used to keeping the R8’s revs high for adequate acceleration (horrible mileage though). So now I’m very happy I didn’t give up and sell it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts