Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Thomas and I am new to this forum (to any forum for that matter). A friend of mine suggested I search a R8 forum on Google and join it so here I am.

I am looking to buy an Audi R8 but I wanted to get some of your feedback and opinion on the car. I currently have a 08 Lexus LX (for the family) and a 07 SL500 (leisure).

I do not intent to order a new one. I did some searches online and found plenty. My buy will be a 2009 (silver metallic/carbon fiber or gray daytona/ silver)/r-tronic/fully loaded.

The car looks impressive on pictures and I saw it twice on the road but from far away. So I went to an Audi dealership to check it out. Luckily, they had 1 in the showroom and it had everything I am looking to have, from color to options (Why don't I get that one? I can get the same with 1-2K miles on it for 15-20K$ less).

However, one thing really impressed me with the car: the size. I really did not expect the vehicle to be this imposing. It's so wide. I had in mind a "bigger TT". God, I was wrong and happy to have been wrong.

I wanted to know how is the feel of the car if it's driven everyday. Does it get annoying after some time (because of it's size and height from the ground)?

I am looking to get an overall feedback on current owners on this forum about the livability with the car.

I thank you ahead of time for your time and answers.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Hi Thomas

Welcome. I drive my R8 (Boston area, USA) almost every day except when there is snow. Very easy to live with. I do not often take it into the city however because there is no way I am giving it to a valet to park or going to park it in a parking lot with narrow spaces. If you search the form you will find plenty of threads about using the car on a daily basis ...almost all members are very positive (which you might expect on an R8 forum) ...most "complaints" are about the attention the car attracts.

Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
The car is very easy to live with as a daily driver... especially with the R-Tronic. However, Swansailor is telling the truth about the attention. If you're in the UK, the attention doesn't appear to be as overwhelming, at least that is what people have said. In the states... it can be too much sometimes. Read some of the comments in this thread and get a 'feel' for what you're stepping into

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2784&highlight=stares

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello and welcome Thomas. Great choice in the R8. You will love it. I also purchased used. Saved about $18k (w/ upgrades). Car had 500 miles. The R8 is a very comfortable ride, but like the guys are saying the attention could be overwhelming. I can't tell you how many times I've come out of a store and somebody is standing next to or looking in my windows. Also, the put your window down hand gesture (I find this most annoying) is big with the R8 when your on the road. The biggest complaint I have with the R8 is No Ipod integration. Only AUX. I'm working on it.

Good luck with your search and congrats in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
the "attention" thing is interesting too...I don't have my R8 yet, but I've driven uncommon, and occasionally unusual and exotic cars in the US for over 50 years and I would say that the reaction reported here on this forum to the R8 is quite unusual; something about its unique combination of looks and market "hype" (a lot of which is just unsolicited enthusiatic praise from the motoring press) I think

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Most likely AUXILIARY...fancy for extra.:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thomas:

I suggest to take the R8 for a spin. It's the very best way to know if it's for you or not (I know it will be). I can assure you of 1 thing: driving it everyday is not a problem. Like Jeremy Clarkson said about the R8: "it's not powered by some w17 quad turbos fueled by diced lions". You'll be surprised how comfortable it is.

Nevertheless, an old business partner of mine also thought of getting one but he could not get in and out of the car with ease (he's quite big and heavy). He ended up getting an S5 which in my opinion is the next best thing to the R8 (that's until the RS5 is out).

It's very true that the R8 gets all the attention. Don't be surprise to get more attention than a F430.

Congrats on your purchase ahead of time and hope you end up liking the R8 as much as we do.

Hi Thomas

Welcome. I drive my R8 (Boston area, USA) almost every day except when there is snow. Very easy to live with. I do not often take it into the city however because there is no way I am giving it to a valet to park or going to park it in a parking lot with narrow spaces. If you search the form you will find plenty of threads about using the car on a daily basis ...almost all members are very positive (which you might expect on an R8 forum) ...most "complaints" are about the attention the car attracts.

Good luck
Swansailor:

I used to live in Boston (at the Regatta twin towers in Cambrige). Although I now live in Montreal, all my cars are still registered in MA. I still commute back and forth between Montreal and Boston so I don't bother changing the plates.

About Boston's street, I agree with you. Valets and potholes make it a nightmare.

Perhaps we could gather up all New England's R8 owners at some point. What do you think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank you all for your feedback. I guess I will have to get used to the attention the R8 brings.

Hovy,

You brought up a good point with the getting in and out of the car. I will need to make sure of that. Regarding the S5, I also have it in mind in case the R8 does not work out for me (I insist on the "in case" because I really doubt it won't work out).

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Swansailor:

I used to live in Boston ....

Perhaps we could gather up all New England's R8 owners at some point. What do you think?

HovyR8: Sure, anytime ...I have only ever seen one other on the road here ....plus the guy in a mini-van who pulled alongside me on 128 the other day and shouted across to me "nice car ...I have a grey one". I am wondering why he was in the mini-van!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
HovyR8: Sure, anytime ...I have only ever seen one other on the road here ....plus the guy in a mini-van who pulled alongside me on 128 the other day and shouted across to me "nice car ...I have a grey one". I am wondering why he was in the mini-van!!
This is funny, lol. I encountered a person in Toronto on the road who told me the same thing: "I've got one in black". I asked him "do you have the DSG or R-Tronic". He replied "DSG". Tells you everything. He was in a 90s bmw 3 series.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hovy,(john),Could you refresh my memory and tell what DSG stands for?? Laven,Harout.:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Anshoushd, it stands for Direct-Shift Gearbox. Hay ek touk?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Voch, I have freinds and neighbors who are. Sarma,Dolma,Tabuli,Shish, Man the food is great . I am "California Kid" . Why call it direct -shift?? The R-tronik is shifted directly by me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Voch, I have freinds and neighbors who are. Sarma,Dolma,Tabuli,Shish, Man the food is great . I am "California Kid" . Why call it direct -shift?? The R-tronik is shifted directly by me.
HAHAHA ... "Sarma, Dolma, Tabuli, Shish" ... yes the food is indeed fantastic, I am Armenian from Turkey and my wife is Lebanese (although she looks nothing like one) so I let you imagine how happy I am when it comes down to food home ...

... but you seem to understand it well ... unless you asked one of them what it meant haha ...

Why direct-****? Not sure. I am really not savvy with mechanics but I read somewhere that it's because the gears above the one you're in is always engaged and ready to attack. Something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts