Audi R8 Forums banner

new member, no R8 yet, probably for a while :(

6K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  sapien 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a big question for you guys, but before that let me introduce myself a little. My name's Maciek, am 24 years old, graduated from college a little over a year ago, working on a masters, have a good job in the aerospace industry as a mechanical/design engineer, and with my profession will probably not be a able to afford a r8 for a while. However I'm a huge fan of the car, and love browsing the forum, reading up on it etc. One day hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one, probably used one :) Anyway the reason for me posting here is my girlfriend. Her birthday is coming up and she is a diehard fan of the r8, I would say a bigger fan then me. For her birthday I would love to give her a ride in one. Words cannot describe her reactions when she sees one in a magazine, on tv, etc. She watches iron man just for that reason. My question is do you guys know of any rental places *exotic* probably, dealerships, etc. that would lend a r8 to a 24 year old guy, even for a few hours, in the Chicago land area. Any suggestions appreciated. I know its a long shot but I think its worth a try.
Thanks again

#2 ·
There are various driving programs that allow for daily rentals. I think I read in one of the car mags it would be $1500-$2000 for an entire day of fun with 5-7 exotics.

#4 ·
Will not work. Need to be able to find something for the end of the month. She would not be able to drive one on a track, no track days, and she has never even autocrossed.

I would think it is doubtful...but you can always try!
http://www.chicagoexoticrentals.com/
Another road block maybe your age. Most rental companies require you to be 25. Good luck!
Thanks for the link, but already looked there, no r8:(

#5 ·
Pull up to an Audi dealer in a nice car :)and ask to be given a test drive.Tell the dealer you want your girlfreind to ride along first 'cuz you want to give her an R 8 as a wedding present.Joke around that the R 8 will be hers but that you can borrow it any time you want. If I was a salesman and heard this scenario,(in this down economy) I would definitly try to sell one to you.Be sure to be honest and say the truth as much as possible.Your exitement won't be hard to fake.Besides the salesmen rarely actually own an R 8 themselves...thus "Sure ,Let's go for a little spin".If this does'nt work come to Cali. and I will give you rides. (after an extensive back ground check) just kidding!!! I am sure you will get your rides soon.And tell your gal about Transformers Two.It has an R 8 as a Decepticon and you can find trailers on this forum.:D

#7 ·
Wow...I'd be interested in knowing if that will work. Wouldn't fly around here...dealers are wanting to keep the mileage limited...Would you want to buy a car will mileage on it?:confused:
Plus every kid and his brother would be coming in for a "test drive".

#6 ·
Renting an R8 in your area seems a bit tricky; I googled it but nothing in Chicago, all in NYC, Florida, Texas and Cali.

How about you go with your girl for a test drive only? Go to the dealer, talk to a salesman saying you want to buy a R8 but will come back with your girl to test drive it.

After all, you're looking to get in and drive around, not own one.

I know it's not as renting 1 for a day but it's better than nothing.

All the best!

#8 ·
I'm sure its worth a shot. Pretty sure some major audi dealer has a demo car somewhere in Chicago. I'll wait with that though. Like I mentioned before, I would like to rent it for a few hours at least, so I can take her to a dinner...and back possibly.

#9 ·
Sorry,I failed to mention that I was given a test drive,but in Germany ,and it was the Cheif of sales personal car.... means pre-owned. I was offered chance to drive but I declined.I was already too much in love. Saddle brown interior,Black/brown mettalic,Every conceivable engine bay and interior peice in C.F. R-tronic.My test ride was on Autobahn too!! I wound up purchasing Jet blue w/ R tronik here in states.Not quite as ELEGANT !!!!!!!!!!:cool:

#15 ·
Hi,

Welcome to the internet’s best Audi forum! I have had a search, albeit from the UK, I came up with the following;

http://www.headturningrentals.com/cars/audir8.htm

They are offering an R8 for the day at $1150 for an R Tronic V8, that’s about £700, I think it’s good value, if I lived in Chicago & if I had my R8 ( waiting for delivery ) I would take your GF out for the day free gratis!!

Good luck & I hope you achieve your dreams; anything is possible if you work hard
.:)

#19 ·
back from the dead!

Same reason as a year ago, gf still crazy about the car. Would anyone in the Chicago area be willing to rent one, for a reasonable fee of course. Yea I know this is a odd and crazy request but hopefully someone understands. Only for an hour or two, not long term. Id leave my car with a title if concerned, even though its a fraction of the r8 cost.

#20 ·
tajger8, I just found your thread and it's good to hear I'm not the only one here involved in the aerospace industry! What field are you in; Structures, Hydraulics, Propulsion, etc?
I started out doing line maintenance, worked my way up over the past 20 or so years and now am an owner/Chief Inspector of a part 145 Limited Repair Station; mostly corporate jets, with an occasional turbo-prop. We use a contract structures D.E.R. and although he isn't on the payroll, he makes more from us annually then our Director of maintenance! You engineer type guys made the right career choice in the industry; it sure beats busting your knuckles until you retire!
By the way, I just purchased a used (5,500 miles) 2009 4.2 R-Tronic, but have yet to take delivery, so it goes to show if you stay in aviation long enough and with some hard work the R8 can and will be a reality for you!

#22 ·
I'm in aircraft control systems/ ****pit (c-o-c-k-p-i-t; funnny how the first part of the word gets automatically edited out) controls. I design control levers for engine thrust, any flight control surfaces, landing gears, etc. I haven't worked my way anywhere yet but hopefully that'll change when I finish up my school. Congrats on the r8 :) I really can't wait on being able to afford one one day. And thanks for the encouragement.

#23 ·
Unfortunately right now the majority of the O.E.M.'s are throttling back on their engineering staffs right now, but there seems to be an opening every once in a awhile at a smaller company, especially those making replacement parts under a STC or PMA. Oklahoma passed Kansas a few years back by having more aviation businesses then anywhere else in the country, but the west coast is still has a fairly strong foothold in aerospace, so hopefully you are willing to relocate when the time comes and maybe one of these days we'll be repairing an aileron or flap you developed!
As for you being able to afford one, an R8 is within the grasp of anyone with a good work ethic and the ability to stay focused on the goal of ownership; you're still a young guy with a lot of years to work ahead of you, just be patient and it will eventually happen. Staying debt free has been rough over the years, but not wasting funds by paying interest i.e. not making payments, has very beneficial to both personal and company finances. If I can't pay cash I don't make the purchase, that way you never have the money monkey on your back. If an old Okie aircraft mechanic like myself can do it, you can too! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.