Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer: Long post

Hey guys and girls!

I'm a new member and have been strongly considering the R8 as my next goal car. This is mostly due to the wife preferring the R8 more than anything on my list.

My preferred next car is a lambo murcielago, but with the things I've read and heard about the car, my finances would be locked in to that car instead of investing to more things that would make money. So, the next "logical" goal car is between an R8 or a gallardo. Both of which are in the same price range.

I'm leaning more towards an R8 more than the gallardo because of the aforementioned wife preference, and its newer than the comparatively priced gallardo.

Thing is, this goal car won't happen for another 3 years, so it can change. Hell, if I can find a huracan (rebuilt) for around the same price as an R8 and gallardo, I'd definitely jump on that. I just gotta pace myself right now coz I am itching to get my goal cars ahead of time. I don't mind rebuilt for the huracan, or R8, or gallardo, since I would never sell it in the future, unless there's a dire that situation calls for it. Right now, I don't see it happening coz I'm making sure I have enough saved up or invested that I wouldn't need to.

Just a quick background as to why I call them my goal cars. If they are called goals, and not dream cars, I feel like they are more achievable. When I changed my perspective from dream to goal, I've been more focused into achieving them. Dream sounds like I could never achieve it, so by changing it to goal, I have achieve some of my goals ahead of the time frame I've set on myself. I became a homeowner and that also owns a Honda Fury (chopper style motorcycle), an Evo X, and GTR. And yes, there is a progression. 2 cylinder to 4 to 6. 不不不

Going back to the R8 being the preferred next goal car. I've researched a lot about it, both from reading and talking to owners. I know about the mag ride and AC system failing and how expensive it could be. Also, know about how to change the AC on the V8 without taking the whole engine out. Also, know about the frame cracking right by the front suspension tower supports. And the fact that not everyone can fix that since it has an aluminum body.

I can buy an R8 now, but I'd rather wait until my investments can pay for another goal/toy car, instead of liquidating an investment to buy one.

Now, my question here is, which one is better? V8 R8 or a V10 R8? I've read that the V8 sounds much better (and slightly cheaper), than the V10. Read that the odd numbers make the v10 sound odd. 不不不 I'm leaning towards the V10 more due to the lambo engine, BUT there is a progression on the cylinder numbers. It would just be cool to stick to it...but then that would mean I'd have to buy other cars that has 10 cylinders, 12 cylinders, and ultimately 16 cylinders. what really matter to me is my holy trinity, though. O already have the first 2, which is a sports car (evo x), a supercar (GTR), only thing missing now is an exotic (gallardo/R8).

Since I'm in an R8 forum, which one is more practical or a better buy? V8 or v10? What are your pros and cons that steered you to the R8 that you currently own? What are the other things I wouldn't know about just by reading or talking to owners? An owner's only knowledge, per se. Is there anything else a non-owner should know?

Pic for attention. These are my 2 goal cars. Always wanted a GTR but at the time, I didn't have the money for the R35, so I got the poor man's GTR, the Evo X. 不不不 and yes, its a 3 car garage. The 3rd spot is currently used by my motorcycle, but hoping it would have a exotic car in there in the near future. The evo has 505whp, the GTR has 640whp. Both are done in a mustang dyno, so dynojet numbers are higher. Butt dyno on the other hand outs both of them at the same level of smiles per gallon.
20200122_092107.jpg

Registered
Nice cars and welcome! Im a new R8 owner as having purchased a 2009 v8 and have been very impressed with the car. It is much more comfortable than my 911 and truly feels like a car you could drive cross country in comfort. Prior to purchasing my R8, I test drove a 2011 V10 model and it was fantastic but just more money than I wanted to spend for a second toy per se. Best of luck in your quest to become an owner as they are unique and impressive vehicles.

Registered
Welcome to the forum! I was in your same shoes when I was shopping for my R8 as well. Ultimately I decided to go for the V10 for a number of reasons.
1. Even though the price is slightly higher upfront, a clean example of a V10 tends to hold value a lot better compare V8. With the recent news of Audi discontinuing the R8, I expect the value to hold pretty steady, therefore you can drive the car for a couple years without loosing much value or maybe not loosing any at all.
2. Nothing beats the sound of a V10! I currently have an Akrapovic exhaust on my car and it truly sounds like an exotic.
3. Tune-ability for more power in the future, stock V10 comes with 525hp with a tune it that number can go up to 570-580hp . Seeing that you already have 2 high powered car in your stable the V8 420hp might be a bit underwhelming.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the R8 is more of a completion car for the holy trinity. And since it will fall under the category of "exotic" in my stable, it has to have a V10. And yeah, the V8 might be a bit underwhelming for me since the evo already has more power than the stock v8.

But are there any other things I need to look out for? For either the v8 or v10?

As for high-powered, I'm actually the lowest horsepower in my bunch of friends. 不不不 a friend of mine has 1900hp GTR.

Registered
OP-feel free to shoot me a DM with any questions you might have on this situation. I came down a similar path, going Modified WRX, a couple different modified GTRs, onto supercharged R8 V10, and daily drivers of S7 and a stage 1 RS7 blah blah. Glad to offer perspective if it is of value to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Bro, I'm definitely following your footsteps. But it would be either the RSQ8 or RS7 for me when it comes to daily. 不不不

But quick question, what made you jump from GTR to an R8 V10? I have a friend that let me borrow his R8 V10 (stock), and even though the experience is great, I don't think I can sell the GTR and move to an R8. Not that I will sell the GTR, the R8 would be an addition to the stable. But some people have come from GTR to R8, then back to GTR. the owner of the R8 I borrowed even went to say that the R8 v10 he had (2017) is the least of his favorite. But then again he has a UR huracan and murcie, so I can see why he was underwhelmed.

The R8 V10 was quiet, thats for sure. Kinda like driving a camry, 不不不 And first thing I'd do is a straight pipe exhaust. It would be vavled Fi for sure. My evo is obnoxious loud already (open dump on WOT), and my GTR has armytrix valved 102mm, just so I can be civil with my neighbors.

But, if anything, what would any of you consider an R8 a supercar or an exotic?? Is the line thin between the two that the V8 is considered a supercar, and the V10 considered an exotic? A gallardo is definitely considered an exotic, but is the v10 R8 a supercar?

OP-feel free to shoot me a DM with any questions you might have on this situation. I came down a similar path, going Modified WRX, a couple different modified GTRs, onto supercharged R8 V10, and daily drivers of S7 and a stage 1 RS7 blah blah. Glad to offer perspective if it is of value to you.

Registered
The GTRs were both great cars, I was just ready to move on. Nissan is so overdue for an update to the R35 platform, and I was always in love with the R8 since it was launched so had to scratch that itch. I will say that coming from modified GTRs, the Gen 1 R8 felt a tad slow in comparison, thus my desire to go turbo or SC. Been thrilled with the VF750 SC and completely transforms the vehicle. I also am fortunate to have a gated gear box, which is amazing to drive. Taking the car to redline and rowing through the gears with that gated shifter is just a life changing experience.

You should drive a stage 1 RS7 at some point. Cars are shockingly quick for a big car, and sound great with their sport exhaust option.

As it relates to your final question, by definition the R8 is considered a supercar based on performance capabilities and price point. It is likely also fair for the R8 to be considered an exotic. The term exotic is based more on availability than performance, and the R8 is certainly fairly rare based on production rates.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I actually had an experience with a compound charged RS7. And yes, I would love to be in an RS7 for daily. My little ones and wife would love it.

As for gated manual, it would be great and all. But the missy wants to drive it, too, so I'd have to teach her in the Evo first before she can drive a gated manual R8. And even then, I wouldn't want to risk it. 不不不 so the s-tronic would suffice. Another thing thats making me lean towards an R8 instead of a gallardo. I know gallardo e-gear prematurely wears if driven on full auto.

Only reason why the Gallardo is in the list is because its cheap, and it is considered an exotic purely because of the Lambo name. Which would definitely suffice my holy trinity. But I'd really want a murcie of i can swing it.

When she gets tired of the Jeep that she has now, it would be a toss up between an RS7 or tesla Model X for her daily. Unless I can coax her to an RSQ8 (baby urus) 不不不

The GTRs were both great cars, I was just ready to move on. Nissan is so overdue for an update to the R35 platform, and I was always in love with the R8 since it was launched so had to scratch that itch. I will say that coming from modified GTRs, the Gen 1 R8 felt a tad slow in comparison, thus my desire to go turbo or SC. Been thrilled with the VF750 SC and completely transforms the vehicle. I also am fortunate to have a gated gear box, which is amazing to drive. Taking the car to redline and rowing through the gears with that gated shifter is just a life changing experience.

You should drive a stage 1 RS7 at some point. Cars are shockingly quick for a big car, and sound great with their sport exhaust option.

As it relates to your final question, by definition the R8 is considered a supercar based on performance capabilities and price point. It is likely also fair for the R8 to be considered an exotic. The term exotic is based more on availability than performance, and the R8 is certainly fairly rare based on production rates.

Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
Wait for the right R8 (plus or Performance) youll have no regrets. I looked for six months before pulling the trigger and I flew to Vegas to get it.

Reactions: Panda_stunter84

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
When did you buy yours? If it was recent (within the past year), thats probably my friend's R8 that you bought.

But yeah, I am waiting and looking for the right one to pop up. My timeliness is 3 years from now. But if the right one pops up before that 3 years, then I will be pulling the trigger. I want it sooner, but I gotta pace myself. 不不不

Edit: nope, nevermind. You got yours from Audi Henderson and in yellow. My friend's was a silver/red. I wants me some white/red, and leaning more towards the V10.

Wait for the right R8 (plus or Performance) youll have no regrets. I looked for six months before pulling the trigger and I flew to Vegas to get it.

Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
When did you buy yours? If it was recent (within the past year), thats probably my friend's R8 that you bought.

But yeah, I am waiting and looking for the right one to pop up. My timeliness is 3 years from now. But if the right one pops up before that 3 years, then I will be pulling the trigger. I want it sooner, but I gotta pace myself. 不不不

Edit: nope, nevermind. You got yours from Audi Henderson and in yellow. My friend's was a silver/red. I wants me some white/red, and leaning more towards the V10.
Patience is your friend. My ultimate dream car ( a Porsche Turbo) when I was younger I waited 40 years to acquire. Like you I had many other toys to keep my attention in the meantime. Best of Luck.

Registered
The search/hunt for the right one is exciting. I didn't choose between v8 or v10 instead wanted 2014+ and the hard debate was Gen 2 or Gen 1. I ended up going Gen 1 V10.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I'm leaning more towards the v10 now, coz it would be like having another stock GTR if I get a v8. 不不不

Nothing against v8 owners, but I know I'd love the rumble of the v10 specially if its straight piped.

I'm just casually looking for one now, but I won't be pushing it. BUT, if the perfect one comes by, I might have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. 不不不

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I like the look of the Gen 2 as well, but I only have gen1 money. 不不不 for the price of gen 2, I could swing for a 458, which is definitely a fun car!

The search/hunt for the right one is exciting. I didn't choose between v8 or v10 instead wanted 2014+ and the hard debate was Gen 2 or Gen 1. I ended up going Gen 1 V10.

Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
I like the look of the Gen 2 as well, but I only have gen1 money. 不不不 for the price of gen 2, I could swing for a 458, which is definitely a fun car!
Take under consideration the maintenance and repair cost of a Ferrari as well as the limited number of shops that have the experience to work on them.

Registered
Based on your current stable of cars, I would recommend going with the V10, but I am biased. There will always be someone with a faster car, with more HP. Do what makes you happy and with what fits into your lifestyle. I ended up supercharging mine and it is perfect for me. You'll never use the power on the street and the car is truly drivable in stock form for whatever you want to do with it. Put an exhaust on whatever you buy if it has the stock exhaust and drive it. You can always mod later if you wanted to. If you can get into a nice Gen1 before waiting for a Gen2, I would do it, but again, I'm biased. I looked at buying another R8 last year to keep totally stock, except for exhaust, and I still was looking at Gen1 cars, V10 and S-tronic. It is an awesome combination and a decision that you will not regret and the price points are pretty good right now. I would look for a 2014-2015 facelift car, once again, I'm biased. Good Luck in your search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts