Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Phantom Black R8 with R-tronic yesterday, trading in my S6.

While the S6 was a great car and very quick, it never seemed to quench my thirst for automotive excitement.

The R8 is of course something altogether different. I can't seem to stop grinning when I see it.

On the brief 20 minute drive home from the dealer, I think 10 people jockeyed for position on the road to snap cell phone pictures or videos. Amazing.

I look forward to the rain clearing so I can really enjoy it.

Quick question for anyone who lives in an area where it snows -- do you drive your R8 in the winter, and if so, did you buy a set of winter wheels and tires? I had a set of mounted Blizzaks on the S6 that were wonderful and am wondering if I should be thinking of the same for the R8.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Congrats. There was actually a post on here about winter tires and driving the R8 in the winter

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Congratulations on your R8!!

Contact Toecutter about winter tires. He lives in Idaho and drives his R8 all winter. He has winter tires. From experience I would caution you about winter driving with summer tires on your R8. I have a curb nick from going 2 mph and applying only slight acceleration. Other than not being able to steer or stop summer tires are great in the snow. :eek:) Tire rack lists winter tires for the R8. OEM wheels and tires...$6800.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Congrats Jeff! another newbie here

I bought Pirelli winter tires for it but have just a little winter driving as I got the car in the beginning of March..

I'll be driving it all year round except for heavy snow blasts..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Felicitations on your R8 ... regarding winter ... depends what kind of winter you have where you live ... if it's a winter like in Canada then forget it ... if little snow then put on winter tires and the quattro will take care of the rest ... make sure to prep you car with anti-rust since the car is low (not that it will rust, just to repel water and salt) ...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congratulations indeed

What part of the world are you in?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. We get real winter for a couple days each year -- snow, ice, that kind of stuff. The Blizzaks on my S6 were phenomenal, but to be honest I'm less interested in risking the R8 to the other drivers. I have another car for tasks unsuited to the R8 (like airport duty), and I'll probably forgo driving in the depths of a real winter.

I'd love to meet other local R8 owners. Anyone from Cincinnati here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jeff,
Congrats - like you I traded in a 2008 MY S6 for a Mugello Blue with Oxygen Silver blade R8 a couple of weeks ago
S6 was a great car but the R8 is something else completely. The attention it draws borders on the ridiculous - I had a guy literally hanging out of his suv with his camera phone the other day to take a pic.
Sorry - can't give you much advice on snow tires though as we don't have much need fore them in Austin!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I absolutely envy you! I'm gonna be a new R8 owner next year. I really can't wait. I am quite nervous though, since the Philippines is a 3rd world country. The Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord here are already luxury cars. Owning a BMW 7-series here is like owning a Bentley. What more if you have an R8. I might get in danger if I will take my R8 in very small towns. :(

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The U.S. is a third world country too. Don't sell yourself short. You can't roll in your R 8 everywhere in the U.S. either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) A lot of times you just need to ride your bike to certain places. Peice out!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
adnig -- how interesting to find someone else who traded in an S6 for an R8.

You're so right about the attention. People who knew cars said, "Nice car" about the S6. Those people fawn all over the R8, as does everyone else. We're getting to know all our neighbors again -- they see the car in the garage and walk right up. (We live in a very nice, quiet neighborhood.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts