Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a stunning, one owner 2010 V10 gated w/8k miles. All I can say is, WOW. This is my first mid-engine car, and although I’ve spent a bit of a time in a Cayman R, the R8 is in another league in terms of acceleration and overall sensation. I stated this in another post, but I think the r8 will go down as one of the final harmonious blends of analog feel and modern technology.

About a year ago I decided that I would give up my third e9x M3 if a clean R8 v10 manual came along at the right price. I’ve always been a huge fan of high revving cars and the m3 satisfied me wonderfully for the last seven years. So much, in fact, that I’ve had three of them. In between them I had the pleasure of owning a 4.7 V8 Vantage, as well as a 911 Turbo. Although those cars were fun and interesting, I never felt very connected to the driving experiences. I still think there’s no better car you can get for the money than the e9x m3 if you thrive above 8k rpms. Even now with the R8, I will have a hard time letting it go.

I ended up finding this R8 through a dealer in Omaha. The price seemed a little too good to be true so I thought perhaps they falsely indicated it as a manual. After receiving photos verifying the car was in fact equipped with a gated transmission, I put a deposit down and got finances in order. I commend the dealership where I purchased it (Omaha Mercedes-Benz) for remaining loyal to our deal, even though they were receiving offers above asking. Two weeks later she was delivered on an enclosed trailer to my driveway.

Having never driven one and relying on the restless viewing of articles and videos praising the car’s driving dynamics and overall package, I was eager—actually desperate—to get in the driver’s seat. I will never forget the moment I turned onto an open road and punched it in second gear. This engine has a willingness to rev and smoothness that was formerly incomprehensible to me. Acceleration, check. In an impromptu move, I decided to take the rest of the day off from work and drive to Malibu to see if the lateral abilities were as impressive as the acceleration. Let me tell you, that’s a double check. The car is so capable, yet so gentle, that it urges you to push further. I can see why people get into trouble with it as the limits seem so explorable that you don’t realize you’re pushing triple digit speeds. It has a way of feeling exhilarating without feeling exhausting and that is the magic of it. I don’t recommend anyone drives one unless you’re ready to buy or you will be losing sleep until you have it.

I plan to keep it pretty much as it is, but I would like to change out the side blades for carbon fiber. If anyone has a connection or a right side (gas door cutout) v10 blade, please reach out.

Anyway, here are some photos. Glad to be a part of the community and eager to contribute. Located in Los Angeles, btw.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Awesome man. Brings me back to my first day as well!

Ibis or Suzuka? Prob too early production for Suzuka.

What do they list that interior color as?
It reminds me of my Cinnamon interior on my old Ibis White Q5. (2011)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Congrats. Lovely looking car.

As an aside, you may want to look more closely at the cap for the power steering fluid as I'm fairly sure it should be at the 2.45 position when fully tight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats and your car is almost a twin of mine except for the carbon blades (are yours wrapped?). As for your comment "I still think there’s no better car you can get for the money than the e9x m3 if you thrive above 8k rpms. Even now with the R8, I will have a hard time letting it go." I completely agree. I have had an E92 M3 as a daily driver for years and cant see letting it go since it does everything perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
Congratulations! The R8 is an exceptional car - very special, as you're beginning to find out. The looks, driving dynamics, engine, history - it's the whole package.

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the group! I have an ibis/red 2011 gated V10 and live in Camarillo, so might see you around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on joining R8 ownership! Your car looks spotless, especially the interior. The previous owner must have looked after it very well!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup, many congrats. You should check out German Rush for side blades. I have their rear spoiler on my car...….great quality. Call or email them to see if they might discount their prices. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Big congrats. Hope to see yours in one of the R8 drives in SoCal, we do it once or twice a year. Also, make sure you get an exhaust (or exhaust bypass lol) for the full experience. A tune also opens up untapped detuned power from the gallardo engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just picked up a stunning, one owner 2010 V10 gated w/8k miles. All I can say is, WOW. This is my first mid-engine car, and although I’ve spent a bit of a time in a Cayman R, the R8 is in another league in terms of acceleration and overall sensation. I stated this in another post, but I think the r8 will go down as one of the final harmonious blends of analog feel and modern technology.

About a year ago I decided that I would give up my third e9x M3 if a clean R8 v10 manual came along at the right price. I’ve always been a huge fan of high revving cars and the m3 satisfied me wonderfully for the last seven years. So much, in fact, that I’ve had three of them. In between them I had the pleasure of owning a 4.7 V8 Vantage, as well as a 911 Turbo. Although those cars were fun and interesting, I never felt very connected to the driving experiences. I still think there’s no better car you can get for the money than the e9x m3 if you thrive above 8k rpms. Even now with the R8, I will have a hard time letting it go.

I ended up finding this R8 through a dealer in Omaha. The price seemed a little too good to be true so I thought perhaps they falsely indicated it as a manual. After receiving photos verifying the car was in fact equipped with a gated transmission, I put a deposit down and got finances in order. I commend the dealership where I purchased it (Omaha Mercedes-Benz) for remaining loyal to our deal, even though they were receiving offers above asking. Two weeks later she was delivered on an enclosed trailer to my driveway.

Having never driven one and relying on the restless viewing of articles and videos praising the car’s driving dynamics and overall package, I was eager—actually desperate—to get in the driver’s seat. I will never forget the moment I turned onto an open road and punched it in second gear. This engine has a willingness to rev and smoothness that was formerly incomprehensible to me. Acceleration, check. In an impromptu move, I decided to take the rest of the day off from work and drive to Malibu to see if the lateral abilities were as impressive as the acceleration. Let me tell you, that’s a double check. The car is so capable, yet so gentle, that it urges you to push further. I can see why people get into trouble with it as the limits seem so explorable that you don’t realize you’re pushing triple digit speeds. It has a way of feeling exhilarating without feeling exhausting and that is the magic of it. I don’t recommend anyone drives one unless you’re ready to buy or you will be losing sleep until you have it.

I plan to keep it pretty much as it is, but I would like to change out the side blades for carbon fiber. If anyone has a connection or a right side (gas door cutout) v10 blade, please reach out.

Anyway, here are some photos. Glad to be a part of the community and eager to contribute. Located in Los Angeles, btw.

I made a big mistake not mentioning your four legged pal; he is a fine specimen too!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride.

I see a few you mentioning a car meet/get together down south. anyone know if there's any meets in norcal?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big congrats. Hope to see yours in one of the R8 drives in SoCal, we do it once or twice a year. Also, make sure you get an exhaust (or exhaust bypass lol) for the full experience. A tune also opens up untapped detuned power from the gallardo engine
I'd definitely be interested. Let me know when the next meetup is!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome man. Brings me back to my first day as well!

Ibis or Suzuka? Prob too early production for Suzuka.

What do they list that interior color as?
It reminds me of my Cinnamon interior on my old Ibis White Q5. (2011)
Yes, it's Ibis. I think the interior color is red, although the other pics of red interiors on google image search seem a lot more vibrant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts