Audi R8 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I recently just finished installing a new V10 spyder steering wheel. While I was at it, I wanted to replace the airbag to the new updated airbag. I didnt want to spend all that money on a completely new airbag, so I was able to find just the airbag cover on ebay for about $100 from Europe. Installing the cover was a little more challenging than expected, but I got it to work. I ended up drilling out the rivets on the stock airbag cover to remove it. This was the most time consuming part. After that, I cleaned everything up and installed the new rivets. I wasnt able to find the same large head rivets at my local hardware store, so I just ended up using a smaller head rivet with some stainless steel washers. Worked out perfectly. I later found some larger head rivets at an autoparts store, but wasnt going to go through the trouble to replace them as the airbag cover wasnt going anywhere. All and all, I am very happy with the new look!

New Airbag cover on the left, old on the right

Cover Removed

New Rivets Installed

Finished Product and Steering Wheel Installed

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the entire steering wheel new and asked for it to have the new logo. I know Audi-OEM (osman) OEMplus etc can get you one if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
I believe [email protected] was referring to the behavior above. A shame that having some tact while posting and showing respect for fellow advertising businesses is not something we can expect to see much of anymore on this forum.

Cheers,
Thanks for the comment on our "behaviour".

a) This thread does not belong to any vendor. It was opened by an R8 owner.
b) Slewky asked where to get the logo from.
c) You took the opportunity to quote your price and offer your product. So did we.

Competition gives variety and great prices to the end customers. I do not see an issue with this ?? Customers are free to chose who they want to buy from and will come to their own purchasing decisions - sometimes, not even based on price.

As many of our customers will attest...we often give these kinds of items for free with large purchases.

We are not a Stasis dealer, but respect both Stasis and yourselves and have never made any negative comment about either. Both of you have a great reputation and long may it continue.

We have just withdrawn our offer price on this thread and have recommended that people buy from you. We will just give them away to our good repeat customers instead.

Best wishes.

Jason and Osman

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In Audi-OEM's defense I specifically named them as to where one can purchase the steering wheel badge from. Not that it matters but didnt seem like a problem to me, pricing competition keeps people honest and give us (me) the consumer a better deal :)

Thanks for the comment on our "behaviour".

a) This thread does not belong to any vendor. It was opened by an R8 owner.
b) Slewky asked where to get the logo from.
c) You took the opportunity to quote your price and offer your product. So did we.

Competition gives variety and great prices to the end customers. I do not see an issue with this ?? Customers are free to chose who they want to buy from and will come to their own purchasing decisions - sometimes, not even based on price.

As many of our customers will attest...we often give these kinds of items for free with large purchases.

We are not a Stasis dealer, but respect both Stasis and yourselves and have never made any negative comment about either. Both of you have a great reputation and long may it continue.

We have just withdrawn our offer price on this thread and have recommended that people buy from you. We will just give them away to our good repeat customers instead.

Best wishes.

Jason and Osman

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Competition is part of every business, well if it's not then anyone who owns the only business is in a great position. On every other forum that I advertise with and most other vendors here advertise with there are written and unwritten rules to how we interact with one another and with forum users. In most cases we are bound to a posting limit:

so many posts per day, no bumping posts for 48 hours, no posting in threads started by other advertisers, etc.

We also have limits on how we compete, general rule of thumb is that undercutting pricing publicly or using the PM system to do so, for 2 dollars and 90 cents in this particular case, is frowned upon greatly as it leads to advertisers having animus forum relationships beyond standard competitiveness which does no one any good. In situations such as these most forums will allow multiple advertisers to post respectfully about the same product and try to obviously garner the sale(s) from a potential customer.

Now R8Talk does not have written rules for advertiser behavior, so not much can be done except to finally speak up, which [email protected] and myself have done. I have spoken to the staff, moderators and other vendors in some cases about seeking to have some basic rules to protect the consumer, keep the forums a civil place and make it so this isn't an eBay outlet but still an R8 forum. Unfortunately the R8Talk advertising staff do not seem to be interested in implementing some rules, even something basic.

Generally I will not engage in this type of "arguing" on an internet forum, however I have noticed some particularly unethical behavior from this vendor. I suspect merely posting some of the information below will anger this vendor and possibly some of their customers or supporters, though if this vendor wants to really tout competition as his means for undercutting other businesses efforts while running around saying they're the cheapest then in that same spirit of competition possible customers here have every right to know about their behavior on just this forum alone so they can make informed decisions where to purchase (as stated above as well, price isn't always the deciding factor in purchasing):

Large numbers of sales of Sprintbooster components that violated their dealer network in North America and worldwide: - Multiple threads deleted and removed plus you will not find Audi-OEM as a listed dealer in Sprintboosters network anywhere worldwide or in the US.

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/45-vendor-classifieds-specials/10090-r8-sprint-booster-throttle-response-module-270-shipped-us.html

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/t-dealers.aspx

Sales or attempted sales of Capristo Exhausts that violated their dealer network in North America and worldwide - Posts were removed and deleted. However I can have Denis Leborgne who runs Capristo USA's sales post up or get me a statement to the truth of this.

Specifically attacking a long standing advertiser, MACarbon, to sell product by using their photos and attacking their pricing publicly to sell product - They were called out for this as being disrespectful to another paying advertiser and since changed the post.

This means that established companies that have purchased rightfully and legally into networks to have the exclusive right to sell product have been undercut by unethical sales tactics. This also means that this vendor can't offer their product as a stand alone, but instead set off to attack other advertisers product to push their own. There are also other products being made and sold with illegally used trademarks here as well, though that ultimately will lie in the trademark holder showing their exception to this through legal action and I've already given my quick advice to this vendor about that, but that is ultimately a risk they run in ending up in litigation with VWoA (not something anyone wants, trust me on that). In my opinion, and the opinion of some other vendors here, some of the staff and even some members, this isn't the type of business activities we should be supporting or allow to be supported here, but ultimately that is R8Talk's decision.

Audi-OEM's replica items that they resell seem like good product, no personal experience. Some of what I have seen contributed to the R8 community through them has been great and the feedback appears to be good on some product as well. I applaud their efforts in selling these products as long as I don't have to sift through 5x posts a day about the same items, some of the moderators and users here feel the same, which is why a posting limit for advertisers would be nice.

With all that being said I've never had to post up anything like this before about another advertiser and am not interested, excited or enthused by feeling that this needs to be done. I was more than happy to continue to be a productive supporter of this forum and offer the product that benefits the community while keeping my business alive and well. When the ability to maintain some simple civility and respectfulness while conducting non obtrusive advertising is being hampered to the point that it effects my ability to do business here I feel the need to speak up.

I am more than happy to respectfully and tactfully compete against any other advertiser here and have with multiple other vendors without issue. Though I have not seen another vendor behave in this manner in any forum I have ever participated in. Again I am not one to go into posts like this with a smile on my face, though if competition is competition then people have the right to know the accurate truth about this vendor's business practices. If Audi-OEM would like to be honest about past unethical behaviors (and not repeat them), begin to respect some simple rules between advertisers and possibly stem the tide of making every post on this forum a for sale post and bump their sale threads so vehemently I wouldn't have the slightest issue with them, nor would some of the moderators and other users I've talked to about this.

Competition is always welcomed, it keeps businesses on their toes to find methods to offer the best pricing and best services however when the competition is acting unethically and even illegally to get a leg up on other legally established businesses and networks this ceases to be competition but instead becomes piracy. I'd love to see things cleaned up here a bit and work together for the community to get the best service, best pricing and best product out while interacting civilly and politely, it's worked on every other forum I've been a part of in the last 10+ years of business and it surely can work in one of the calmest and more respectful communities I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
I think that most reading the above post will see it for what it is.

A nice soft beginning, followed by a viscious attack and then a soft ending. These types of gripes should really be taken to the moderators and not played out in public.

We will not retaliate in kind. It is beneath us and we believe that vendors have to maintain a higher standard than all others in terms of the tone of their posts.

We have never attacked Europrice in any way, shape or form. If Europrice is going to report us to VWoA for a couple of plastic gear knob caps that we did for fun and have largely been giving away - well I guess we have to withdraw them. It gave some owners a little pleasure, and was not designed to bring down anyone or make us rich !

We understand that Europrice was the no. 1 vendor on this forum for a long time, but things change and we ourselves never get frustrated with competition. We accept that we cannot sell some products as cheaply as others. Sometimes, other vendors have better access to products than us - that's just life.

Rule no 1 for us: focus on your own business and do not denigrade the competition.
Rule no 2 for us: be nice to others. We were nice to Europrice and even deleted our prices and told others to buy from them!

Getting into a tit-for-tat is a waste of energy and the lowest form of dealing with others in our opinion. This forum is primarily for the convenience of R8 owners and not for the vendors.

Our customers know us well enough to make of this for what it is. We wish Europrice nothing but the best. Great vendor and well respected. We will say nothing negative about them. Hell, we even know their suppliers in Hungary !

We absolutely do not want to be part of this kind of atmosphere of animosity. We will open our own online store soon and will be respectfully be withdrawing from this forum at the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
So this thread turn into a factually incorrect attack on us?
This is a very viscious attack and we will not retaliate in kind. It is beneath us.

We have never attacked you in any way, shape or form.
You are going to report us to VWoA for a couple of plastic gear knob caps that we did for fun and have largely been giving away ?

We understand that Europrice was the no. 1 vendor on this forum, but things change and we ourselves never get frustrated with competition. We accept that we cannot sell some products as cheaply as others.

Rule no 1 for us: focus on your own business and do not denigrade the competition.
Rule no 2 for us: be nice to others

Getting into a tit-for-tat is a waste of energy and the lowest form of dealing with others in our opinion. This forum is primarily for the convenience of R8 owners and not for the vendors.

Our customers know us well enough to make of this for what it is.

We absolutely do not want to be part of this kind of atmosphere of animosity. We will open our own online store soon and will be respectfully withdrawing from this forum at the end of the year.

We wish Europrice nothing but the best. Great vendor and well respected. We will say nothing negative about them.
Firstly nothing is factually incorrect. Audi-OEM is not a Sprintbooster dealer which is why then they found out about your repeated sales of these you were forced to stop selling the product.

Denis Leborgne of Capristo USA noted your attempt to sell Capristo products on this forum. He emailed you to cease the sales around their established dealer network. When I talked with him recently he told me he attempted to call you a few times but you never answered his calls. I can ask him to post here or confirm this information via email to post here if you like.

MACarbon's shift paddles were posted by you as a comparison product to which you pointed towards their pricing specifically to release your competing product. After there was objection to this type of behavior you altered your post.

Selling any product with a registered trademark that you do not have the rights to is illegal in the United States. Though that is something your company chooses to do and as mentioned it can cause your business some serious legality issues if VWoA finds exception to it. Shift knob caps, floor mats, whatever else. It doesn't matter to me or my business, but it isn't legal, nor is it smart if you want your business to stay out of litigation. I have seen more than a few companies get into legal issues with VWoA over this and other trademark/trade dress issues. I would not wish this on my worst enemy as I have dealt with VWoA's legal department before, so no, you are incorrect, no one has reported you to VWoA, at least I have not and will not. If they want to find you they will, rest assured on that.

If your rule No1 is not to denigrate the competition then let your product speak for itself instead of vocally and privately undercutting pricing of other businesses who pay to advertise here, cease selling around dealer networks and participating in other unethical/illegal behavior. Having the lowest pricing is not what drives innovation or solutions for problems in the community, it's merely a tool to drive every company involved out of business as you race to the bottom. Reasonable margins are used to run operations, pay for advertising, develop new product, test new product, bring in inventory and keep the lights on. The true test of a business is how they conduct themselves with not just customers but also in the marketplace.

Your No2 rule is always one to live by. Being nice is something that will serve you and all of us well, but some of your business practices are not "nice" and cost other companies sales they legally have the right to with their dealership contracts.

Threatening to depart the community serves no useful purpose other than trying to pull at heart strings that Europrice is a big bad bully around here, quite the opposite. This happens to be the second time you have threatened to leave this community and likely not a coincidence but a tactic. Business is not an emotional thing, it's is business and as such the real waste of time is being emotional about these issues that have been raised. I have essentially never called out another company in this way, but the behavior is unscrupulous at best and none of the moderators are given enough power to do anything about it and R8Talk seems happy to talk your advertising dollars without looking at your behaviors. The stand up thing to do would be to clean up your practices and respect other advertisers here as well as your competition that have the actual legal right to sell some of these products you've sold or tried to sell.

Cheers,

PS. Please stop editing your post.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Firstly nothing is factually incorrect. Audi-OEM is not a Sprintbooster dealer which is why then they found out about your repeated sales of these you were forced to stop selling the product.

Denis Leborgne of Capristo USA noted your attempt to sell Capristo products on this forum. He emailed you to cease the sales around their established dealer network. When I talked with him recently he told me he attempted to call you a few times but you never answered his calls. I can ask him to post here or confirm this information via email to post here if you like.

MACarbon's shift paddles were posted by you as a comparison product to which you pointed towards their pricing specifically to release your competing product. After there was objection to this type of behavior you altered your post.

Selling any product with a registered trademark that you do not have the rights to is illegal in the United States. Though that is something your company chooses to do and as mentioned it can cause your business some serious legality issues if VWoA finds exception to it. Shift knob caps, floor mats, whatever else. It doesn't matter to me or my business, but it isn't legal, nor is it smart if you want your business to stay out of litigation. I have seen more than a few companies get into legal issues with VWoA over this and other trademark/trade dress issues. I would not wish this on my worst enemy as I have dealt with VWoA's legal department before, so no, you are incorrect, no one has reported you to VWoA, at least I have not and will not. If they want to find you they will, rest assured on that.

If your rule No1 is not to denigrate the competition then let your product speak for itself instead of vocally and privately undercutting pricing of other businesses who pay to advertise here, cease selling around dealer networks and participating in other unethical/illegal behavior. Having the lowest pricing is not what drives innovation or solutions for problems in the community, it's merely a tool to drive every company involved out of business as you race to the bottom. Reasonable margins are used to run operations, pay for advertising, develop new product, test new product, bring in inventory and keep the lights on. The true test of a business is how they conduct themselves with not just customers but also in the marketplace.

Your No2 rule is always one to live by. Being nice is something that will serve you and all of us well, but some of your business practices are not "nice" and cost other companies sales they legally have the right to with their dealership contracts.

Threatening to depart the community serves no useful purpose other than trying to pull at heart strings that Europrice is a big bad bully around here, quite the opposite. This happens to be the second time you have threatened to leave this community and likely not a coincidence but a tactic. Business is not an emotional thing, it's is business and as such the real waste of time is being emotional about these issues that have been raised. I have essentially never called out another company in this way, but the behavior is unscrupulous at best and none of the moderators are given enough power to do anything about it and R8Talk seems happy to talk your advertising dollars without looking at your behaviors. The stand up thing to do would be to clean up your practices and respect other advertisers here as well as your competition that have the actual legal right to sell some of these products you've sold or tried to sell.

Cheers,
OK. We understand - if you throw enough tar at someone, some of it is bound to stick.

Let's address this directly so as not to allow you to mislead anyone. None of our customers would certainly describe us unscrupulous.

1) We have never claimed to be a Sprintbooster dealer and no longer advertise any Sprintbooster products for sale.
After you called Sprintbooster USA to inform them of our offer, Tom called us to discuss distribution with us. We are not focusing on these types of products and this does not really interest us.

2) We had 2 Capristo exhausts for sale offered to us by a third part supplier in Europe. We advertised these for sale on his behalf. After you called Dennis at Capristo USA, we got an email from them asking us to remove the post...which we did so immediately. We even requested the moderators on this forum to delete the post entirely. No exhausts were ever sold and nothing was violated. We were offered the option to become a distributor. We are not interested in this and have never spoken to Capristo USA ever since.

3) We posted a picture of shift paddles on an OEM facelift steering wheel next to some the custom made carbon fibre stick on paddles from MACarbon. You know very well that our point was to show the relative good value of an OEM steering wheel versus buying aftermarket shift paddles. It even said exactly this on the photo....something along the lines of $1,200 for an steering wheel versus $880 for the only option until now MACarbon's stick on CF paddles. Nothing negative was said about MACarbon in any way shape or form.

After you reported this to the moderators, we removed MACarbon's shift paddles and replaced the photo with a generic photo of aftermarket paddles. We even praised MACarbon for making great stuff in the same thread. Your words stating that we launched an attack on MACarbon is wholely false and in many respects libellous.

We would certainly not paint you as a bully...maybe just aggrieved. In any case, we would not say anything negative about you and hope that your business continues to flourish.

With regards to wanting to move away from forums, please do not take any credit for this. Our reasoning is that we are just not interested in getting into these kind of petty fights and that forums are just too time consuming. I can assure you that R8Talk is not held to ransom for the very insignificant $150 per month that we pay and can more than easily survive without us !!

Can we suggest that please leave it as this now ? This is really ugly and not necessary.
Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my thread just went to $hit. lol

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
OK. We understand - if you throw enough tar at someone, some of it is bound to stick.

Let's address this directly so as not to allow you to mislead anyone. None of our customers would certainly describe us unscrupulous.

1) We have never claimed to be a Sprintbooster dealer and no longer advertise any Sprintbooster products for sale.
After you called Sprintbooster USA to inform them of our offer, Tom called us to discuss distribution with us. We are not focusing on these types of products and this does not really interest us.

2) We had 2 Capristo exhausts for sale offered to us by a third part supplier in Europe. We advertised these for sale on his behalf. After you called Dennis at Capristo USA, we got an email from them asking us to remove the post...which we did so immediately. We even requested the moderators on this forum to delete the post entirely. No exhausts were ever sold and nothing was violated. We were offered the option to become a distributor. We are not interested in this and have never spoken to Capristo USA ever since.

3) We posted a picture of shift paddles on an OEM facelift steering wheel next to some the custom made carbon fibre stick on paddles from MACarbon. You know very well that our point was to show the relative good value of an OEM steering wheel versus buying aftermarket shift paddles. It even said exactly this on the photo....something along the lines of $1,200 for an steering wheel versus $880 for the only option until now MACarbon's stick on CF paddles. Nothing negative was said about MACarbon in any way shape or form.

After you reported this to the moderators, we removed MACarbon's shift paddles and replaced the photo with a generic photo of aftermarket paddles. We even praised MACarbon for making great stuff in the same thread.

Your words stating that we launched an attack on MACarbon is a wholely false and in many respects libellous.

We would certainly not paint you as a bully...just aggrieved.

With regards to wanting to move away from forums, please do not take any credit for this. Our reasoning is that we are just not interested in getting into these kind of petty fights and that forums are just too time consuming. I can assure you that R8Talk is not held to ransom for the very insignificant $150 per month that we pay and can more than easily survive without us !!
For a company that is above arguing on the internet and getting into tit-for-tat situations you sure do post, then edit and add to your posts quite a bit. Seems like a case of saying one thing and doing another.

Take some time to read up on libel, though this seems to be the first thing that gets yelled when someone is called out in a forum setting. Nothing is libel unless it is false and in your post you have just admitted to selling around Sprintbooster's dealer network. You have just admitted to selling Capristo exhausts around their dealer network. You have just admitted to targeting another advertiser here to release your product, regardless of your intentions. So in actuality you've just proved you've behaved unethically and disrespectfully with your business practices. It does not matter if you removed posts or stopped selling product after the fact, it's that your intentions were to undercut genuine dealers for these products to make a quick profit. That is not ethical business practice and if any of the parent companies found exception to this behavior that could take legal action against you for doing so, but I doubt anyone would bother.

As stated, the stand up thing to do would be to clean up your act a bit in terms of your activity on these forums and take a deeper look at your practices in general. If you truly are above all of this then let this be the last post on this and then follow your own posted rules that supposedly govern your behavior and business practices so none of us have to point out the disrespectful nature of how you operate on these forums, and no wishing people well while saying they are being libelous doesn't quite equate to respect or civility.

Cheers,

PS. Please stop editing your posts.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Well my thread just went to $hit. lol
Sorry about that, but eventually something would have been said either but a moderator, myself or other advertisers. I finally chose to do something about a situation that has been going on for some time.

Nice work on the steering wheel by the way:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.