Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Video of Fabspeed R8 V10 Supersport X-Pipe Exhaust System

A local customer was nice enough to drop his car off for a day to let us make a new, better video of our redesigned R8 V10 Supersport exhaust. The sound is still hard to accurately capture, without hearing it in person I think this is about as close the the "real thing" as you can get. If anyone has questions, please post here, PM me, Email me, or call me.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is it valved?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is it valved?
You ask this question a lot. See the circular doodad in the center of this photo? That's roughly what an exhaust valve looks like. If you don't see at least two of those on an R8 exhaust, it's not valved.

Audi_R8_V10_5.2__5277b9862ed85.jpg

Reactions: ntg44

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks for the info. Would be very interested if it was valved

·
Registered
379 Posts
Honestly, this system is the best sounding i've heard. And in all honesty, people don't keep valves closed very often and its another part to fail. Some people have had issues with valves seizing. This system is certainly quite enough to roll around the neighborhood late at night without waking everyone but a monster when you get on it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Maybe they can do a group buy, or a free install they are only 1.5 hours from me

·
Registered
281 Posts
I do think the sound here is probably what I am looking for. Having just driven my car for the first time, I was surprised at how good it sounded stock, particularly with rumors of the 2015 being quieter than previous. On throttle is pretty fantastic. I am less optimistic that I will be able to drive this car daily, as it attracts more attention than I thought it would. But this may be too loud in cruise mode. However, this video makes it seem more sedate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwb_BhOhIl4

Can anyone tell me: in just regular driving, how much louder than stock? For reference, we have a Tubi on our RS4, and that is non-valved and fairly loud, but absolutely livable day to day and on the highway.

641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do think the sound here is probably what I am looking for. Having just driven my car for the first time, I was surprised at how good it sounded stock, particularly with rumors of the 2015 being quieter than previous. On throttle is pretty fantastic. I am less optimistic that I will be able to drive this car daily, as it attracts more attention than I thought it would. But this may be too loud in cruise mode. However, this video makes it seem more sedate:

Can anyone tell me: in just regular driving, how much louder than stock? For reference, we have a Tubi on our RS4, and that is non-valved and fairly loud, but absolutely livable day to day and on the highway.
Turbousmaximus is actually the owner of the car in the video, hopefully he will chime in. I would say it's 40% or so louder, that's hard to quantify without a Db meter.

·
Registered
379 Posts

It isn't much louder the stock, I would say in percentage 40% was probably close. If you never compared it to stock, it could pass as a stock system for any exotic car. It does add a nice low end rumble, wot scream, and downshift burbles. If you want the perfect mix of mild and wild, this is the exhaust for you!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It isn't much louder the stock, I would say in percentage 40% was probably close. If you never compared it to stock, it could pass as a stock system for any exotic car. It does add a nice low end rumble, wot scream, and downshift burbles. If you want the perfect mix of mild and wild, this is the exhaust for you!
Thanks! That's what I needed to hear! (pun intended. Lame, but intended.)

·
Super Moderator
6,144 Posts
Like you I had a Tubi on an RS4 and found no problems with it being to loud, so if you were alright with that then putting Fabspeed on will be no issue at all for you, will actually be a little quieter than your Tubi on RS4

·
Registered
185 Posts
My question is actually in regard to performance. Is it true that having no valves reduces low end torque since we free up the back pressure. Normally i'm used to force inducted cars, so the more free flowing the better. I just want to hear it from a manufacture, and see if you guys have any dyno's of before and after. Thanks.

Vince

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have always heard the cats are by far the most restrictive bit. I don't think it will make a noticeable difference in performance either way. I think you might notice the 40 pounds first, but on a 3400 pound car... maybe not.

641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My question is actually in regard to performance. Is it true that having no valves reduces low end torque since we free up the back pressure. Normally i'm used to force inducted cars, so the more free flowing the better. I just want to hear it from a manufacture, and see if you guys have any dyno's of before and after. Thanks.

Vince
we have dyno'd quite a few and saw gains on all of them, the x-pipe eliminates the secondary cats, the primaries are prohibitively time consuming to R&R (engine out) and I have yet to see anyone with an LP gallardo or R8 v10 dyno their cars after headers (with no cats) to see if all the time involved translates to HP gains.

Dyno:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server6...persport___06193.1405421816.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

·
Registered
185 Posts
All the info I needed to know. Thanks David. I'll probably put in a order soon. I'm fighting hard to not mod the car since I have a warranty. But that noise is intoxicating.

641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the info I needed to know. Thanks David. I'll probably put in a order soon. I'm fighting hard to not mod the car since I have a warranty. But that noise is intoxicating.
let me know if I can do anything else for you! And I have never heard of a dealer voiding a warranty for an exhaust, just food for thought.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts