Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
@David with Fabspeed ... I've got a few questions.

1. At WOT .... is the loudness somewhere between an Acrapovic and Larini? Is it similar in loudness to the Capristo X-pipe?

2. I'm located in Arizona with 120 degree summers. How is your system insulated from displacing exhaust heat to the
surrounding plastic rear components?

3. Curious how your system sans valves costs almost 1/2 as much as the others mentioned above? I'm glad it is less, but curious how Fabspeed is able to offer such a product substantially less than the competition.

Thanks

641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@David with Fabspeed ... I've got a few questions.

1. At WOT .... is the loudness somewhere between an Acrapovic and Larini? Is it similar in loudness to the Capristo X-pipe?

2. I'm located in Arizona with 120 degree summers. How is your system insulated from displacing exhaust heat to the
surrounding plastic rear components?

3. Curious how your system sans valves costs almost 1/2 as much as the others mentioned above? I'm glad it is less, but curious how Fabspeed is able to offer such a product substantially less than the competition.

Thanks
Hi,

I have not heard the others you are mentioning so I can't say. you can reuse the OEM heat shield if you wish, so heat should be a non-issue (the xpipe having no mufflers would produce less heat compared to OEM as well).

We are currently looking at our pricing and raising it in certain areas, we have always been an excellent value across our product line, I can raise the price for you if that would make it more appealing :p

·
Registered
281 Posts
My question was: why do the other systems cost 2X as much, just because of a couple of valves?
I had a valved system from Capristo on my 355 (which did use the pre-existing bypass valve, so it's more similar to the Fabspeed in cost and complexity). When the valve was open, holy crap, it was unbelievable. When it was closed, not so much. I found I just wanted the thing wide open all the time. I think the best exhaust options are tuned for no drone, but are valveless. There is a lot of fun noise that comes from an exhaust when you are off the power. Rumbles and crackles and pops and such. You miss that if there are valves that close it down unless you are wailing on it. That's really why I went with the Fabspeed. It seems to be very similar in sound to the Capristo X-pipe, but 1/2 the money, no complex valves, no buttons to push or fobs to keep up with.

641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Dave are the exhaust tip dual oval or quad, I love the look of the oval in general.
for the GT and cars witht he round tips inthe bumper its a single tip, for all the other R8s its quad.. you cant see them once the car is driven and they get dirty regardless though!

My question was: why do the other systems cost 2X as much, just because of a couple of valves?
I had a valved system from Capristo on my 355 (which did use the pre-existing bypass valve, so it's more similar to the Fabspeed in cost and complexity). When the valve was open, holy crap, it was unbelievable. When it was closed, not so much. I found I just wanted the thing wide open all the time. I think the best exhaust options are tuned for no drone, but are valveless. There is a lot of fun noise that comes from an exhaust when you are off the power. Rumbles and crackles and pops and such. You miss that if there are valves that close it down unless you are wailing on it. That's really why I went with the Fabspeed. It seems to be very similar in sound to the Capristo X-pipe, but 1/2 the money, no complex valves, no buttons to push or fobs to keep up with.
we did keep it simple, we offer valved systems for a few cars but the R8 sounded perfect with the simple x-pipe.. just like the LP gallardo's.

Hi David,

You have a PM.

Thanks
Thanks! PM'ing back now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
J.

Definately post reviews of your exhaust once you have it. I'm like you .... I want a better sound than stock, but I don't want it obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
J.

Definately post reviews of your exhaust once you have it. I'm like you .... I want a better sound than stock, but I don't want it obnoxiously loud.
Have you already heard the Capristo X-Pipe and Akrapovic? Both of those exhausts are works of art IMHO. I am very impressed with the design and quality of the Capristo. The bends, welds, and details are superb. I do agree that 90% of the time I drive with the valves open, but there are definitely times when cruising in peace and quiet is needed. I say give the Fabspeed a try! Perhaps they have a money back guarantee if you don't like the sound characteristics or feel in general? As long as it's not nearly as loud as the Larini you should be fine, as with that setup I felt valves open or valveless was too loud most of the time. You still coming out to C&C Saturday?

·
Registered
804 Posts
very happy with my Fabspeed x pipe system- exotic without drone, relatively quiet when not getting on it in the upper revs but awesome when you do

·
Registered
842 Posts
Have you already heard the Capristo X-Pipe and Akrapovic? Both of those exhausts are works of art IMHO. I am very impressed with the design and quality of the Capristo. The bends, welds, and details are superb. I do agree that 90% of the time I drive with the valves open, but there are definitely times when cruising in peace and quiet is needed. I say give the Fabspeed a try! Perhaps they have a money back guarantee if you don't like the sound characteristics or feel in general? As long as it's not nearly as loud as the Larini you should be fine, as with that setup I felt valves open or valveless was too loud most of the time. You still coming out to C&C Saturday?

Yes ... I am. 7:45 Starbucks. I want to hear your Capristo. Not sure if you remember, but your previous Larini set off some car alarms at the last C&C. LOL.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes ... I am. 7:45 Starbucks. I want to hear your Capristo. Not sure if you remember, but your previous Larini set off some car alarms at the last C&C. LOL.
Lol. Wasn't one of them a Maserati? I think there will be 3-4 of us, but Matt unfortunately isn't coming.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Please post up a complete dyno when you have time.
Include torque and maybe also A/F would be nice on a stock car.
Also RPM would be nice to see instead of MPH.
You have come all of this way, why not give us all the info on such a nice product.
Thanks
Nice job
Trev

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Fabspeed sounds very similarly to the AWE one - at least on youtube. Both have that low-end rumbling sound and not as high-pitched as some european exhaust systems.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts