Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

am so glad to have found a dedicated R8 forum! I am on Audi-sport.net and also have frequented RS246.com but the R8 sections are as quiet as Neptune..

I'm a big fan of the R8, I love the looks, the performance, the sound, the excellent intertior etc.. I've seen that prices are dropping quite a bit and am hoping to get one in a couple of years. I was considering a 911 Carrera S (997) but the R8 is much better looking and has been proven to be a faster and better car on track too so I'm looking at this mainly.

I'm planning on testing one out on track with one of these track day vouchers where you get a few laps in one for £100-200. Which is the best one or are they all pretty equivalent??

Currently drive a VW R32 (on www.R32oc.com), was considering an upgrade to the RS4 (B7) but with R8's getting cheaper I think I'll save up a bit more and aim higher! I'd love one in dark grey with a black / dark sideblade.

Priyan

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hello there. You'll find much info on this site for your future purchase. Welcome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm planning on testing one out on track with one of these track day vouchers where you get a few laps in one for £100-200. Which is the best one or are they all pretty equivalent??
Don't waste your money on those. Even experience drivers would need more than a few laps to get to grips with a totally new car. I'd concentrate on honing your driving skills, eg get some instruction in the Golf and do some track days. Then look forward to R8 ownership - it deserves every plaudit in my humble opinion - it's one of the sweetest cars ever on road or track (and I've driven/raced quite a few).

One outside bet though would be to try to blag your way on to the an R8 customer day at Rockingham by greasing up to and lying to your local Audi stealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done a few track days in my brothers lotus elise and in October 2008 we both went to Spa Francorchamps F1 circuit in Belgium, him driving the elise, me driving the R32. Its was fantastic, the car was great on that circuit.

There were tonnes of porsche 911s there, all were either GT3's (approx 12) or GT3RS' (at least 4) and they were very fast. Wish there was an R8 there, would have looked stunning. Here are a few pics..

Eau Rouge

Bus stop chicane

I think I'll try an R8 track experience just to wet the appetite and see what the car is like, obviously its not as good or as much time in the car as I need but will give me an idea.

Priyan

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is my favourite photo from Spa this year (after the 40 minute Elise Trophy race, with 36 on the grid). I'm on the 3rd step :)

The R8 is in some respects like a big Elise - I'm sure Lotus would have been proud to have the R8 the new Esprit. Note the following quote from Drivers Republic: "anyone who has owned an Elise and loved the way it glided over challenging roads will adore the R8. It has more chassis subtlety and guile than all the others put together". Chris Harris and Jethro Bovingdon v 997C2S, AMV8 and GTR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts