Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I couldn't find a suitable Newbie thread. So please forgive me for barging in like this, but I just wanted to say hello. I'm happy to find this site today as my dealership mailed my V10 build sheet yesterday after calling me to let me know that the two fellows before me in line had dropped off the list. (I've been on list since August of '07.)

I've been reading a lot of your threads this afternoon. I've noticed some common denominators:

1. Almost all of you who own R8s love your cars.
2. There is the occasional "Just a bit more HP" comment, but the rest of you overwhelmingly admit that you wouldn't drive your car to the limit anyway.

I'm interested to read/hear more about your experiences. Especially as they relate to colors/options, etc. since I've got to put the sheet together and resubmit in the coming days.

Since I have the floor for a moment, anyone ever know someone with a matte black car? I'm interested in understanding the pros and cons.

Dave

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Imagine what a little Armorall overspray would look like on that.The airforce likes it on the Stealth planes! :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
My experience with the matte black stuff (which I love!) is that it's done via a 'full body wrap', sorta like the stone guard on the front we typically do, but bumper to bumper. Looks great, and can be stripped off without harm when you get bored with it!. It's not cheap....(but you don't care....;-) Try a high-end bodyshop, or a professional automotive paint store. A couple of F430's in the ME. A 360 C in NW usa. Pix to come if I find them....or try google images.....
Tritone

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Armorall would $uck. I agree.

Tritone..thanks for the insight. I had no idea it was an add-on. I'll look into it more when I've received the car.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
There was a matte black R8 at an Audi track event last month. I was pleasantly surprised - it really looked great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were two colors that I was considering:

1. Matte Black with Black Wheels
2. Burnt Orange with Black Wheels

After looking at both of these colors on another thread, I'm not sure that either of these colors is right for me.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
IMAO the matte black was awesome in person. The R8 looks PDG in just about any color, though...

(PDG=Pretty Darn Good!)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I would'nt mind Bright orange with black and carbon effects.Orange stiching on charcoal interior too.Good luck on such a tough decision !!:D Depending on how my wheels come out in black chrome ,maybe this too

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My teenage sons have voted for Atlas Grey since the R8 on the Audi site "Build an R8" looks sooo good in this color. I'm not sure that I've seen as good pics as the one ones on this site, however.

I'm struggling with this color thing.... :confused:

Here's my criteria for color:

1. I don't want to be too loud. After all, I'm 43 today and so I need to act my age.
2. I like to do a lot of car runs with my lambo/ferrari/porsche buddies in the motor clubs. Hence the loud colors make sense here.
3. I'd like to motor with my wife to St. Michaels for a weekend or so. I'm not sure that she'd get into a Burnt Orange car with black wheels. She's not a car chick. She just tolerates my obsession with cars.

So.....what about phantom black with carbon blades. Simply elegant for the wife jaunts down the coast while being an awesome color when with the men on the runs?

Dave

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
With the polished wheels?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
1. Happy Birthday! I took delivery of mine a couple days after my birthday, so your timing is perfect! IMAO 43 is still very young, although I guess this is when we start needing those bright colors for that maximum "mid-life crisis" effect. ;) In that case, you should select RED.

2. I believe WHITE is the German & Audi international racing color. I generally don't think white cars are very elegant, but I and everyone that sees mine think it looks great on my R8 with the CF side blades.
[And, and no one has mentioned that "avocado refrigerator" thing, either. You'll have to search for the thread on this forum to see what I'm talking about! :D)

3. All of the BLACKS are fantastically beautiful and menacing. Phantom, Pearl Effect, even Matte. They are a lot of work to keep up, though.

I was actually pretty committed to Daytona Grey, but my son was a strong advocate for the White. I'm glad I took his advice. So, I think you should give your sons' selection of Atlas Gray a lot of weight!

(See, wasn't I a big help!):)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
V10, that will be exciting - Congrats!

2. I believe WHITE is the German & Audi international racing color.
Actually, polished aluminium/silver has always been Germany's International racing color (still is for Audi). White is a fairly recent addition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_auto_racing_colors

CF is primarily used to increase structural strength, add rigidity and reduce weight. Ornamental pieces are just that, but most that purchase them (at great cost) think they look good... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Harrison,
I'd rather not do the polished wheels. They would be a bit too far on the "elegant" side, IMHO.

Desperado,
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Seeing the Grey and white in contrast makes an interesting picture for someone in my dilemma. I definitely think you made the right choice with the White. It looks awesome.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Thank you for the accurate information and link about the national liveries, that is very interesting!
"... German companies, like Porsche and BMW, still favour mainly the traditional white, while Audi also uses silver to carry on the tradition of Auto Union."
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Arrows
Actually, polished aluminium/silver has always been Germany's International racing color (still is for Audi). White is a fairly recent addition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_auto_racing_colors
I guess I'll have to paint blue Cunningham racing stripes on mine, since I'm in the USA ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts